NLOTH Album Reviews Pt 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The NLOTH lines got repeated--it was an error.

The way he describes Crazy Tonight is interesting and unusual. And this review also furthers the WAS/Winter/Brothers confusion.

No review in dutch. I will google translate it in a minute.

Het nieuwe album van U2: gaat dat zien!
In de Hilversumse Wisseloord Studio’s werd gisteravond voor een man of 100 de nieuwe cd van U2 gedraaid. No Line On The Horizon ligt 27 februari in de winkel en is op een paar 30-secondensnippets na nog niet uitgelekt – een unicum tegenwoordig. Het album werd de afgelopen anderhalf jaar opgenomen onder leiding van Brian Eno en Daniel Lanois, met hulp van Steve Lillywhite. Dat resulteert in een sound tussen ligt tussen die van The Unforgettable Fire en Achtung Baby in. Logisch ook, want beide cd’s werden door diezelfde studiocrew gemaakt.

No Line On The Horizon bevat 11 tracks; allemaal even keihard gemixt waardoor ze echt de boxen uitknallen. De eerste zeven nummers zijn al gelijk ijzersterk. Het album opent met het stevige titelstuk, waarna een elektronisch ritme je het volgende nummer inzuigt. Dat doet zijn titel, Magnificent, alle eer aan. Een geheide single! Dat geldt wat mij betreft ook voor het door een pompende baslijn voortgestuwde Moment Of Surrender. De twee liedjes die daarna komen, Unknown Caller (hoor ik daar een single?) en I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight zijn old-school U2. Niet verrassend dus, maar wel ultraherkenbaar en gewoon degelijk goed. Get On Your Boots is inmiddels bekend natuurlijk, en de cd vervolgt in diezelfde lijn. Stand Up Comedy is funky en heeft zo’n stuwende baspartij die als een rode draad door het album loopt. Fez – Being Born heeft dan weer een intro met oosterse invloeden en zelfs samples. Dan volgen twee tracks (White As Snow en Breathe) die vooral de liefhebbers van Bløf-achtige poëtische teksten zullen bekoren. Ik behoor niet tot die groep. Breathe is overigens muzikaal weer wél erg sterk, maar heeft een zangmelodie die niet lekker meezingt. Daarmee is het als albumtrack overigens een prima nummer. Het afsluitende Cedars Of Lebanon deed me met zijn gesproken tekst denken aan Somewhere Down The Crazy River van Robbie Robertson.

De cd komt in verschillende (vinyl, cd- en box)versies uit, waarvan sommige voorzien zijn van de bij het album gemaakte film Linear van Anton Corbijn. Die was gisteravond aanwezig om zijn bijdrage persoonlijk in te leiden. Hij vertelde dat op het album de verhalen van vijf personen verteld worden, die op een zeker punt bij elkaar komen. Corbijn nam één van die hoofdpersonen, een Afrikaanse politieagent die terug wil naar huis, als uitgangspunt. In de film (door Corbijn omschreven als ‘moving pictures’), wordt het verhaal van deze agent getoond aan de hand van de liedjes van het album. Die staan echter in een andere volgorde dan op de cd, én in de film is een nummer verwerkt dat het uiteindelijke album niet gehaald heeft. En wát voor nummer: het Coldplay-achtige (of draai ik de wereld nu om?) Winter. Ik heb vele cd’s in mijn kast staan waar een dvd bijzit die ik nog nooit bekeken heb, maar dit werk van Corbijn voegt écht iets aan de muziek toe. Het blijft gek om na zo’n luistersessie naar de boxen te klappen als de cd is afgelopen, maar het applaus na afloop van de Anton Corbijn-film was volledig op zijn plaats en meer dan terecht.

The new album by U2: go see it!
In the Hilversum Wisseloord Studios last night for about 100 people the new U2 CD was played. No Line On The Horizon is February 27 in the shop and a few 30-second snippets have yet leaked - quiet unique nowadays. The album was recorded the last few years by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois with the help of Steve Lilly White. This results in a sound that lies between The Unforgettable Fire and Achtung Baby. Logically too, because both CDs were made by the same studio crew.
No Line On The Horizon contains 11 tracks, all mixed really hard and coming out of the speakers very loud. The first seven songs are all equally brilliant. The album opens with the strong title piece, that with an electronic beat sucks you into the next song. This one does its title, Magnificent, all honours. A sure hit! This is as far as I am concerned also the case for the propulsed by a pumping bass line Moment Of Surrender. The two songs that follow, Unknown Caller (do I hear a single?) and I'll Go Crazy If I Do not Go Crazy Tonight are old-school U2. Not surprisinging but very recognizable and just very good. Get Your Boots On is known of course, and the CD continues in the same line. Stand Up Comedy is funky and has the driving bass that runs like a red thread through the album. Fez - Being Born has a intro with oriental influences and even samples. Then two tracks follow(White As Snow and Breathe) which lovers of BLOF-like poetic lyrics (very good dutch band) will like. I do not belong to that group. Breathe is musically again very strong, but the vocal melody is difficult to sing along. But as a track on the album it is great. The concluding Cedars Of Lebanon made me think of the spoken lyrics of Somewhere Down The Crazy River by Robbie Robertson(my thoughts: how cool is that!!!).

The CD comes in different (vinyl, CD and box) versions, some of which include the album's Linear film of Anton Corbijn. He was present last night to introduce his personal contribution to the album. He said that the album tells stories of five individuals, who at some point intersect. Corbijn took one of the main characters, an African policeman who wants to go home, as a starting point. In the film (described by Corbijn as' moving pictures'), the story of the agent is shown by the songs of the album. They are however in a different order than on the CD, and in the film is a song that was included on the cd. And what a song: the Coldplay-like (or am I turning it around) Winter. I have many CDs in my collection with a dvd included I've never viewed, but Corbijn's work really adds something to the music. It is still a bit strange to applaude after a listening session at the speakers, but the applause at the end of the Anton Corbijn film was fully deserved and more than justified.

I edited the google translation because it was crap.

I hate it when U2 wastes a good song on a non-album: Electrical Storm, Window in the Skies and now it seems Winter.

Okay, Window in the Skies wasn't their greatest song, but it would have fit well as an ending song on this album

goldmember.jpg

White As Snow: U2's most intimate songTaken from No Line On the Horizon, Bono's hymn to a dying soldier in Afghanistan is unadorned, evocative and suggestive. And you don't even have to know what it's about to feel its quiet power or sense its sadness
Comments (0)
U2 in Washington DC Photograph: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images

When I interviewed Bono in Dublin back in January, as part of my marathon tracking of the new U2 album, No Line On the Horizon, for Sunday's Observer Music Monthly, he described it as "essentially a big fat rock album". The most dramatic exception is a track called White As Snow, the quietest, most intimate, and arguably most arresting song that U2 have ever made.

"There are a couple of songs from the point of view of an active soldier in Afghanistan," Bono told me back in June 2008, at the group's Hanover Quay studio in Dublin, during a break in recording, "and one of them, White As Snow, lasts the length of time it takes him to die".

Of all the character songs on the album, White As Snow is the most moving. Much of this is to do with its sense of quietude – not a mood one normally associates with U2. The song is almost ambient in its musical pulse, suggesting the presence of Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, and Bono's voice sounds markedly different here, more restrained, more plaintive, the emotion suggested rather than strained for.

The song's melody is based on an old hymn, Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel, that, according to The Handbook to the Lutheran Hymnal, was composed by "an unknown author, circa 1100". (Surprisingly, the original has been faithfully covered by both Sufjan Stevens and Belle & Sebastian and, less surprisingly, by Enya and 2006's BBC Young Chorister of the Year, William Dutton).

The idea of a song based on the dying thoughts of a soldier initially came to Bono after he read William Golding's ambitious novel, Pincher Martin, which is told from the point of view of a British sailor who appears to have survived the torpedoing of his ship. As he approaches death, his thoughts roam back over his life, and the moral choices he made or avoided. (The novel's denouement, though, suggests that the soldier died at the moment his ship went down and that the preceding narrative recounts his soul's struggle to stay in the material world.)

After watching Sam Mendes's film, Jarhead, Bono decided the song should evoke the thoughts of a soldier dying from a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. Intriguingly, you don't really need to know the context for the song to work. It stands alone. Initially, I had assumed it was sung in the voice of a young Middle Eastern man who had been driven into exile, but there you go.

I am not typically taken with songs that require prior knowledge or context to be fully appreciated. I remember interviewing Elvis Costello on the release of his dense and difficult album, Spike, and being baffled even more by his explanations of the songs than the songs themselves. Springsteen, on the other hand – and, in particular, Springsteen the quiet balladeer – is a master of setting and context: "My name is Joe Roberts, I work for the state, I'm a sergeant out in Perrineville, Barracks number 8" . There is something about writing in character – putting yourself in someone else's place and seeing the world though someone else's eyes – that requires a certain craft and economy for that shift in perspective to be credible.

"We were going to start White As Snow with an explosion," recalled Bono. "An early version had this industrial noise that sounded like the aftermath of a bomb." Now, that would have been one way of getting around the problem of context. It may have worked, too, but the song is fine the way it is, unadorned, evocative, suggestive. You don't have to know what it's about to feel its quiet power or sense its sadness. "It's kind of pastoral,"
said Bono. It bodes well for the album that will follow No Line On the Horizon, which has, he says, "the idea of pilgrimage at its centre", and is made up of the "quieter, more meditative songs" that did not make it on to this one. "Intimacy is the new punk rock," Bono added, laughing. But is it the new stadium rock?

It bodes well for the album that will follow No Line On the Horizon, which has, he says, "the idea of pilgrimage at its centre", and is made up of the "quieter, more meditative songs"

There are more songs coming our way in the near future.

I think there is a lot more concrete evidence this time that they are planning on releasing an album or EP during or soon after the tour.

I think it would only work as a quick release though if it is more meditative songs. If they wait a few years, then they are gonna think to themselves "this is shit and no one will listen to it" and write another vertigo/boots.

Just read the Guardian article.

I'm even more excited about White as snow now, I love the clips, I'm sure it's a beautiful song.

Wow; I am totally down for a meditative U2 album in the near future. And it sounds like a lot of it is written. This is amazing and surprising news.

That's right. The dead guy who invented it in 1100AD will come back to life as a ghost and send lawyers to serve Bono legal papers. Even if it happens at the Grammys. :lol:

Of course the liner notes will say where it came from. :D Coldplay just forgets that part.

Guys, they have another album already written--somebody else get excited please.

Plus, if this turns out not to be true, we can start another awesome "Bono is a liar" thread.

Maybe this forum should go back to "Where the Album Has No Name"? :wink:

So they took the melody from another song, eh?

Lame.

So let the rip-off game begin again. :rolleyes:

Because no one has ever been inspired by a classic/traditional tune.

I love White as Snow, even though I've heard only a snippet. Bono's voice is :drool: and the lyrics also seem to be really great.

coldplay stole viva la vida from satriani, u2 stole 40 from jesus. whoopity do, who cares.

Liner notes and getting permission and giving thanks do matter. Maybe not for the general listener but people involved care. Look at how Eno was pissed off when U2 didn't give him as much credit he felt he desereved for ATYCLB. The entire Plant/Krauss album is full of liner notes for the cover songs so people don't get confused and think it was originally done by them. That way people can get paid for their work. No one from 1100AD or Biblical times is going to ask for money because it's way out of copyright. Anyone who listens to the original will expect some liner notes.

Coldplay were not doing a cover they were trying to say it was their original melody. When Martin loosely talks about being good at plagerism he does himself no service. Satriani may have a positive effect because the band will probably be more careful the next time and try and create their own sound and we will all be greatful when that happens. BTW I like Coldplay.

What the hell is wrong with everyone?? They have another album written complete with a cohesive theme! Who cares about 900 year-old rip-offs?

The song's melody is based on an old hymn, Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel, that, according to The Handbook to the Lutheran Hymnal, was composed by "an unknown author, circa 1100". (Surprisingly, the original has been faithfully covered by both Sufjan Stevens and Belle & Sebastian and, less surprisingly, by Enya and 2006's BBC Young Chorister of the Year, William Dutton).

The idea of a song based on the dying thoughts of a soldier initially came to Bono after he read William Golding's ambitious novel, Pincher Martin, which is told from the point of view of a British sailor who appears to have survived the torpedoing of his ship. As he approaches death, his thoughts roam back over his life, and the moral choices he made or avoided. (The novel's denouement, though, suggests that the soldier died at the moment his ship went down and that the preceding narrative recounts his soul's struggle to stay in the material world.)

After watching Sam Mendes's film, Jarhead, Bono decided the song should evoke the thoughts of a soldier dying from a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. Intriguingly, you don't really need to know the context for the song to work. It stands alone. Initially, I had assumed it was sung in the voice of a young Middle Eastern man who had been driven into exile, but there you go.

I just like to read where a song comes from. It's interesting to get an impression of the inspiration behind a song. I really like the fact that it was inspired by varous things: A song, a novel, a film.

Back
Top Bottom