Night & Day - Sunsets & the timing of performances in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d.darroch

War Child
U2 will be performing shows on the West Coast around the summer solstice. When U2 perform in Seattle on 20th June, the sun won't be setting until 9:15. The lucky folk of Edmonton will experience sunset after 10PM on June 23rd. Will we have later starts to the shows, or will the dramatic lighting & visuals be effected by sunlight for the first hour of the performance?

How did this affect the European leg in 09? The sun set in Barcelona on the opening night around 9:30PM. Was the start of the show later? Those crazy spaniards love being up half the night anyway. I do remember seeing a few daytime pics of the performances, but not many.

For Seattle, even though the sun won't be setting until very late, it'll still be much lower in the sky, so I don't think it's going to really be in the way so much. There will still be light in the sky until almost 10:30 around that date, but I don't think it's going to have too big of an impact.

I could be wrong - it'll be interesting!

Wow I didnt even think of that. It will probably still be light out for my show. I'm not sure if I like that. Although, pics will come out better. :wink:

I had thought of this too. I know that here in NY, the sun sets around 8:00 at that time of year. But there is still light in the sky almost till nine. So I guess here, by the time U2 take the stage, it will be pretty much dark.

How did this affect the European leg in 09? The sun set in Barcelona on the opening night around 9:30PM. Was the start of the show later? Those crazy spaniards love being up half the night anyway. I do remember seeing a few daytime pics of the performances, but not many.

For the European 2009 leg, many shows started out in daylight/twilight and it didn't get dark until later into the show. But you have to remember that Europe is much more to the north than the US/Canada (I believe New York is at the same latitude as Madrid, Edmonton is about the same as Dublin). So it'll be darker sooner in the US/Canada. Still, shows will probably start in twilight.

Yeah, even though it's light super late in Seattle at the solstice, it's not like we're land of the midnight sun or anything. It should be twilighty enough to still get the full effects.

Salt Lake City sunset will be about 8:54 p.m., so there will be some light, but won't last very long. Fyi, average temperature for June 3, 2010 in Salt Lake City is 77 degrees.

Miami on July 9, sunset's around 8:15, U2 come out in the 9:00 - 10:00 range..perfect..don't really like sunset-affected shows.

I know on the Vertigo Tour, they'd open with Vertigo and a string of songs that don't require the drastic visual effects. They saved COBL and more colorful songs for after it got dark

SMB

A half-daylight show is the ONLY reason why I'm ditching the Miami show for the Edmonton show.:D I didn't have the money to travel to Europe for the Vertigo shows.

For once in my life, I want to experience a U2 show when there's still light outside.:up:

In Dublin last year it was pretty much light out for half of the show... You do miss some of the lighting aspects during twilight. Edmonton will have it the worst... I have pictures of COBL from Dublin where the sky is still not dark...

Sunset in Seattle is a little earlier than published due to the effects of the Olympic Mountains west of Puget Sound.

Also, there's a video on YouTube of the PopMart opening in Edmonton in full daylight. I'm too lazy to slog through ten pages of searches to find it, though.

Back
Top Bottom