NHL 2014-2015 Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think your perspective on how other fans should act during the playoffs is influenced strongly by what team to follow. As a Redskins fan, it drives me up the wall hearing Patriots fans complain about their team throughout the year on their way to another 12-4 season. It really bugs the hell out of me. But it's their call and I leave them to it. That's how they choose to express their fandom.

Similarly, it must be exceptionally irritating to see a Blackhawks fan complain about our stars not properly aligning during the finals. And I grant, there is a line between specific critiques of players/coaches/ownership and a flat "we suck" and I admit to crossing that after seeing two pretty crap performances in a row. I wasn't overly thrilled with our first two periods tonight either. First period: two shots on goal, three penalties in a do-or-die game. Not comforting.

Look at it this way: if you've followed this series, you know Tampa has spent some 70 minutes more with the lead than Chicago has. There haven't been very many bright spots for us. In fact, the only real bright spot is that it's somehow 2-2 and that we'll live to play again, at least one game of which will be in Chicago. That's very exciting. That's great! I'm thrilled with that. And after we won game 1 and 4, I was right there to post something positive. I had hardly anything negative to say during the Wild series because I would have had to analyze tape to find any mistakes. We had the lead for almost the entire series. Hell, did we ever lose the lead? Now that's a series that I kept my quibbles quiet for.

But this is a different beast and there have been a lot of specific players (Cumiskey, Kane, Hossa has made some bumbling mistakes, Sharp, Bickell, Crawford in 2 and 3, though he had a great game tonight) that have hampered the team's performance overall, while Q has made some baffling line switches. Teravainen really needs more minutes. Bickell never should have started. I think it's totally fair for me to point all of that out. It isn't fair for me to flatly criticize the team and organization as a whole when they've offered me such a great experience as a fan. I'm like this with all of my favorite teams, but with the good ones sometimes I miss the forest for the trees.

I hope that clears some things up. Sorry if I've been a pain in here lately.

Last edited:
Anyways to go back to what I was trying to interject into this conversation and to interpret what I think Travis is trying to say today (never going to defend his comments from Monday), I personally found the Ducks series to be better from a technical perspective. This series has felt like one of those "whoever makes less mistakes" wins, rather than the best team.

I agree, but holy shit were those ever a pair of great series in the semi-finals. Maybe the best semi-finals series I've ever seen, taken as a pair. It would have taken something truly special in this round to top either of those.

I admit as a Leafs fan it's a bit annoying to hear a fan be negative about a team that's in the Finals (and have been there twice more in the past decade), but on the flip side I also understand that it's passion. It doesn't mean you subconsciously hate the team. Thinking back to the 08 WS, I was in the same boat as Peef with some of the shit the Phillies did or didn't do, or players suddenly disappearing off the map in the championships - it's super frustrating to think "this is what the team should do to give them the best chance to win" and they don't do it, especially when they're so close to winning it all. He just beat me to the forums to post about it 95% of the time.

But yeah, fuck the Patriots fans that act like the world is ending when they're 9-3 and Gronk eats some bad sushi in Vegas, gets the shits and misses practice on a Wednesday. :wink:

LM,

I understand. It's not the criticism I'm dogging you on, and yes you're definitely right that the fact that I'm used to mediocrity makes me react that way. It doesn't help that hockey is my favorite sport and something I'm much more in tune with.

When it's the Heat, I figure perhaps by the fourth time around I don't think I was more critical of them but maybe a tad more... apathetic upon failure. Like, expecting a higher standard. Perhaps we differ there a little bit.

Thanks for giving it a little more careful of a response, I appreciate it.

This is quite a game. I'm loving it. :up:

Written 22 minutes ago. :wink:

I...was enjoying this game at one point. Hawks look fucking washed right now, Lightning were outskating them all second period. Hopefully we've got a bit left in the tank to get us over the line. One goal might do it.

Last edited:
Good: Sharp's heads up play, Crawford, Oduya's defense

Bad: Keith making two boneheaded decisions in 7 minutes, Kane is still invisible

Based on overall play, it makes sense that it's all tied up right now. Pretty even game, one team dominated a period each.

Wow that was intense. I'm so fucking excited.

The cup will be at the United Center for game 6. Now earn it, Hawks.

Win in 6 and you've won me $70. Win in 7 and you've won me $100. Tampa wins and I get to laugh as another southern franchise sees success while Canada is starved ?

Win in 6 and you've won me $70. Win in 7 and you've won me $100. Tampa wins and I get to laugh as another southern franchise sees success while Canada is starved ?

I can't even hate on the Lightning, glad we've had the opportunity to play them instead of the Rangers. Tampa is really damn tough.

Sure, if the stories of Amalie Arena security harassing Blackhawks fans are true, I'm not wild about that (probably overblown anyway). I don't like franchises that restrict opposing apparel. But the team itself seems OK.

Last edited:
All I ask is that if Chicago is going to win the Cup tonight that it not be a long overtime game. I have a compulsion dating back to when I was a kid that I must not go to sleep until the post-game is completely done (no idea why but every time I've tried to do it I haven't been able to sleep). Double or triple-overtime plus Cup ceremony means I'm going to be fucked at work tomorrow. :yawn:

EDIT: Hey guys, did you know that one of the dudes from Wedding Crashers (no not that one, the one that was also in Swingers) is a big Blackhawks fan?? :crack:

That was a frustrating first period. A lot of missed opportunities and dead power plays. So close, yet so far. Bishop is having a great game.

I'm honestly surprised to see another low scoring game at this stage. Law of averages alone suggests one of these offenses that had such great showings in the conference final would break one eventually.

Last edited:
Ugh I wish they'd stop showing that ridiculous pad save and/or the altogether miss by a matter of feet. :crack:

Toews has been a machine so far.

When the Phils won the WS as I recall your first post was complaining about a bad call from the umpire.

Even if I remember wrong, I was just giving you shit, I didn't mean anything mean by it.

It was that game that got called early. It wasn't at the end of the WS, it was in the middle. Phils were up like two games and a game got called prematurely and you freaked out. Shit was funny.

Edit: 2008 WS, game 5.

Oh yes, I got angry that they suspended the fifth game a half inning after they should have and gifted Tampa a run, but I was so inarticulate about it that everyone here thought I was saying the Phillies should have just been given the World Series.

I definitely didn't complain about them winning it all. I'm a jackass, but that was my first championship.

Back
Top Bottom