NFL Thread II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Eli stays with the Giants and becomes the highest paid guy who holds the clipboard. I love Eli, but he's not Peyton. He's not winning an SB or getting there for another team. If anything, he should make the Giants pay to get rid of him because I believe he has a No Trade clause.

Right now, the Giants are a poorly run organization. :|
They are an incredibly poorly run organization right now.

The proper play was to cut ties with Eli before the season began.

Now? They should tell him he's only playing again if Jones gets hurt and ask him if he wants a trade or to be released. Let him decide based on that.

And yea, he can still help the right team. The Giants simply aren't that team. They're not 0-2 because of Eli - they're 0-2 because their defense is a sieve and the head coach makes baffling play call decisions (like having a 3rd and 2 in the last possible opportunity to stay in the game in the 4th quarter against Dallas, and not having your stud running back touch the ball once).

I'd be slightly concerned that he's simply shell shocked from all the hits he's taken over the past 3-4 seasons (thus why he's so frustratingly quick to throw it to the check down instead of stand in the pocket and let it fly like during the super bowl years).

Eli is not and was not ever prime Peyton (although I'll argue Eli showed better in the post season than Peyton ever did).

That said, Peyton was pretty terrible when he won with Denver. They won despite him. He was benched late in the season in favor of Brock Osweiler and had a 67.9 passer rating. Eli, now, today, is better than Peyton was in his final season with Denver.

Indianapolis would have made sense, but they gave a decent chunk of change to two Tom Brady backups. Pittsburgh could make sense, as would Jacksonville. That's about it.

Honestly I wish he'd step aside and retire. If not, and it pains me to say it, if they can't trade him, they should cut him.

And this is why I say that...

Instead of rattling off platitudes about the upcoming opponent, Manning was answering questions about his football mortality following his benching. At one point he was asked, “Is this the end of Eli Manning?”

“Who knows?” Manning said. “Again, I’m not dying and the season’s not over.”

The door for Eli with the Giants should be slammed shut. In order for Jones to really be able to develop, he shouldn't have to have a QB who clearly still wants to play, and is a legend in the franchise's history, hanging over his shoulder.

I don't doubt that Eli will be classy. He's been nothing but since his arrival. But to so this right it absolutely has to be Daniel Jones' team now. Which means I think Eli needs to go.

Last edited:
Whoever asked that question (because I hardly give a shit nowadays,lol) should have said "Is this the end of Eli Manning in a NY Giant uniform?" or something to that effect. If anything, go to a warm weather city or one with a dome. Or even better, a tv studio somewhere. :wink:

Reports are he has no "immediate" intention of waiving his no trade clause:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ts-new-role-and-vows-to-support-daniel-jones/

So he either just wants to stay in NY or more likely he'll leverage the clause and waive it only for the right situation should it arise...which is smart, he might as well dictate where he goes if he's going to leave at this point.

Right now he's a 23 million dollar cap hit to wear a baseball cap and hold a clipboard, Giants would be wise to try and move him.

i think he'll finish out the season on the steelers.

I get a sense that the Steelers think (or more accurately hope) that Rudolph might be their next guy, so I don't see them trading for Eli, especially after they just gave up their first rounder for Minkah Fitzpatrick (of course its the Steelers, maybe they thought they were trading for Ryan Fitzpatrick).
If they didn't have faith in Rudolph, they had to be smarter with that 1st round pick which could very well be a high pick next year (especially if Rudolph isn't good), so that makes me think he's their guy going forward (or at the very least he's going to get the chance to be their guy)

The cap number is why he won't be traded, and why the Giants should have made a clean break before the season began.

There's no way around the cap hit - and they shouldn't even consider taking back someone else's bad contract unless it also expires at season's end.

They should grant him the ability to speak with other teams, and if he finds one that wants him, simply release him.

I have zero confidence in the Giants not fucking this up, though.

Should I have said post Jay Fiedler?

1 AFC championship, but a decade plus of being in contention at least.

In a sense you’re right, I just don’t think the feeling is the same. The Marino days were just the last time Miami wasn’t a joke of a franchise and had an incredible talent to watch. The Brady days were the days where New England ruled half the galaxy.

Right, I know Marino fell short of a title, but for most years during his career the Dolphins were the favorite to win the division and a contender at least. Even I have never watched a Super Bowl that they have won. I watched 2 of their losses to Riggins and Montana, but never seen them hoist a Lombardi.

And yes what is going on now here is unprecedented and won't last much longer. How far off the map the Pats fall once Brady retires will be interesting to see. They should still be decent, but decent in a compete to make the playoffs but not really contend to win a title kind of way unless somehow they finagle a trade with B-Flo for your 2021 first rounder and draft Ronnie Sunshine Bass.

Right, I know Marino fell short of a title, but for most years during his career the Dolphins were the favorite to win the division and a contender at least. Even I have never watched a Super Bowl that they have won. I watched 2 of their losses to Riggins and Montana, but never seen them hoist a Lombardi.

And yes what is going on now here is unprecedented and won't last much longer. How far off the map the Pats fall once Brady retires will be interesting to see. They should still be decent, but decent in a compete to make the playoffs but not really contend to win a title kind of way unless somehow they finagle a trade with B-Flo for your 2021 first rounder and draft Ronnie Sunshine Bass.

McKenzie Milton 2021

In a sense you’re right, I just don’t think the feeling is the same. The Marino days were just the last time Miami wasn’t a joke of a franchise and had an incredible talent to watch. The Brady days were the days where New England ruled half the galaxy.
Ruled the galaxy unless they played Eli or some other team I dunno who they were I forgot

Most Tampa thing ever to take a delay of game penalty (looked intentional possibly too)before getting the ball to where your kicker wants it and having it just slide right where the 5 yards makes the difference

Yeah, I hope he still has a job tomorrow. I'm actually pretty good friends with Matt Gay's older brother, and spent a lot of time at their house growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom