NFL 2012: The Super Bowl and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the giants are playing so well right now because their talent is located in the front 4. they can get to the quarterback without blitzing, which instantly makes everyone else better. having all three of those guys on the field the past few weeks is what's made the difference. if osi never comes back, we're not having this conversation right now.

Yeah, I think the lack of talent on the D-line and lack of productivity from the ROLB position was the biggest nail in the coffin. Fans are pointing to the secondary, but putting zero pressure on any QB isn't exactly helping your defensive backs. The crap safety tag team of Peprah and Burnett did oficially suck ass though.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the 49ers defense scares the shit out of me.

The front 7 are formidable, to say the least. But they need to be, because the secondary is suspect. Brees almost beat them even with all those turnovers.

Of course, I could say the same thing about the Giants.

That should be a great game.

137025846.jpg

2012-01-16-09-31-11-4-laura-kaeppeler-attended-the-carthage-college-and.jpeg

laura-kaeppeler-bikini-2.jpg

Miss America asks Aaron Rodgers to call her | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

will he fumble?
competition? or maybe get sacked :shrug:

phanan said:
A lot of people say that defense wins championships, and that's true to an extent, but it's more simple than that. Turnovers are what really does it.

It's both, and I say that because I'm very uncomfortable with the idea that turnovers and quality defensive play aren't closely connected. You either catch the interception coming your way, or you drop a key opportunity. Great defenses never miss those opportunities. Great defenses make teams fear being tackled for danger of being stripped.

So I'm fine saying defense wins championships.

LemonMelon said:
It's a little of both, and I say that because I'm very uncomfortable with the idea that turnovers and quality defensive play aren't closely connected.

It's closely connected at times.

For the 49ers game, there was a direct correlation, as they were directly responsible for most of those turnovers.

But then you have the Ravens game. The boneheaded play by the punt returner cost Houston 7 points, and Yates made some bad plays on his own. In that case, it wasn't because of Baltimore playing great D; it was the Texans shooting themselves in the foot.

I'd love a Giants/Patriots rematch.

If it comes to this, having Brian Waters at RG instead of a gimpy Stephen Neal makes me feel a lot better, considering how badly Justin Tuck went to town on Neal in that other game.

yes,

if somebody guaranteed me that would be the final score (without saying who won)
I would have double-downed on GB

:lol: Thanks! Where'd you find that? I noticed that after the players left the field after the pregame warmups, a couple photographers on the sidelines started aiming at me.

So, when will mikal come up for air?

Seriously hope he's okay. I know i felt pretty down when the Giants did this to the Cowboys in 2007. Of course as a Cowboy fan im kinda used to getting kicked in the gut, face, teeth, balls, etc. You get the point. For Green Bay fans its probably still a little bit raw considering their Super Bowl (2words) win and the season they had.

There's always next year Mikal (this year) Hang in there buddy! :hug:

I watched my AFL team win premierships in 07, 09 and 11, and the losses in 08 and 10 were still incredibly hard to take.

I'm very cynical of anyone who can go, "oh well, we won it last year. Doesn't matter!"

i've managed to convince myself that, while i believe the giants are similar to last year's packers, i think the 49ers are actually a little similar to the 2007/08 giants... great defense, quarterback who nobody thinks can do it, squeaks out a big playoff win against a team most people didn't think they could beat... and this is frightening me.

They're getting weaker pressure than the 07 Giants, but I don't recall the Giants' secondary smothering receiving corps the way the 49ers did to the Saints for 90% of that game. They had a bunch of coverage sacks, and this is against a gutsy QB who isn't afraid to string the ball wherever. That's not even to mention the takeaways.

I think the 49ers have an offense well-suited to the playoffs because they don't have to rely on their passing game. The Giants, at their best, had a very well-rounded offense in 07, so I would say that comparison is applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom