New Video on U2.com Pt.2 (new 01/11/2009)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I noticed the fuck up too. That part is not going to be on the finished track, hehe.

The slide guitar does bear some similarities to WOWY, but I think that's a Les Paul in the video Edge is playing.

It's really not an awful not to go off of, but it sounds like a mid-tempo pop-rocky tune. Whatever the hell that means. But doesn't seem to be one of the "departure" songs they have been talking up. Lanois did mention that those will only constitute 20-30% of the final album though.

I think it looks lite a Gibson ES model. Maybe an ES-175? Or maybe an ES-137?

I think it looks lite a Gibson ES model. Maybe an ES-175? Or maybe an ES-137?

I can't really tell without seeing the front of it... But it definitely is a Gibson looking at the headstock.
But I do see the Epiphone on the stand in front of Edge that he used for some of the rockier tunes on HTDAAB... :hmm:

Ok, that's definitely the Breathe outro.

I can't believe he's finally using an E-bow.

Otherwise, this part of the song sounds a lot like Window In The Skies in terms of style.
Of course we all know (those who've heard the two 'beach' clips) the verses sound pretty rocking and Bono is spewing some stuff, so I hope this all flows well.

Not a departure though. I doubt they'd want this as the lead single if they are trying to sell a reinvention.

At least in the studio I think. He used it on WOWY when he played it on a Les Paul. Was it just on the Zooropa Tour or was it some parts of the ZooTV as well?

You are right, he used it on the Zoo versions live.

But as far as I know, he's never used it on an album.

BTW, whoever made the comment about Bono's voice (was it ps333?)
That just sounds like the natural timbre of his voice, post-smoking and age.
I don't think you can make any kind of determination about his voice from this clip.

It's interesting the comment about Dan's beard.
Fair to say this is an old clip?

Lastly, they wouldn't be keeping this as a 'take' IMO with Adam walking around by the mic'd up speaker. I would guess this is a run through.

Odd studio set-up (for U2) but cool. Where the hell is this?I would guess Eze.

Interesting... :hmm: Is this the same location as the EdgeFunk video?

I would also venture to say that this clip is really old based on the unbearded Lanois.

Sounds good, and it gets me excited about Breathe, because so far, it's my least favourite of the beach clips.

And I cannot believe people are analyzing Bono's vocals here. The first time I watched the clip I couldn't even HEAR any vocals, and now I HARDLY hear any.

The guitar sounds amazing.

Possibly from the summer... Bono's house in Eze is my guess. It resembles other inside pics of the home.

this song sounds good, I'm just slightly worried over Bono's vocals on that take...they sounded weak and tired and scratchy.....yes I realize I'm being incredibly picky right now as you can barely even hear him, but just sayin what it sounds like :shrug:

hopefully that vocal take was nothing official...

Theres no need to worrie about... :) The two performences from this year, and the beach clips shows the new voice. After days of recording the voice get tired. Just listen to the Cannes performence of 2007 when Bono werent prepared to sing(probaly talk the whole day...) his voice was very hoarse.
Bono sang very low on this clip also...

Ok, that's definitely the Breathe outro.

I can't believe he's finally using an E-bow.

Otherwise, this part of the song sounds a lot like Window In The Skies in terms of style.
Of course we all know (those who've heard the two 'beach' clips) the verses sound pretty rocking and Bono is spewing some stuff, so I hope this all flows well.

Not a departure though. I doubt they'd want this as the lead single if they are trying to sell a reinvention.

No, it's not the Breathe outro but rather the chorus (the end of it leading into either the bridge at 2:40 of Clip 2 or leading into the the same sounding point right before the outro). I wish we had been able to hear the outro in this clip (or the flame-throwing verse)! I think the chorus may actually be the weak point of the song and certainly the aspect that keeps it from being considered a departure in a broad sense. This was my 3rd fav of the 4 clips (beating out Get On Your Boots quite easily) but still a great rocker--I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed to see this as the first single.

No, it's not the Breathe outro but rather the chorus (the end of it leading into either the bridge at 2:40 of Clip 2 or leading into the the same sounding point right before the outro). I wish we had been able to hear the outro in this clip (or the flame-throwing verse)! I think the chorus may actually be the weak point of the song and certainly the aspect that keeps it from being considered a departure in a broad sense. This was my 3rd fav of the 4 clips (beating out Get On Your Boots quite easily) but still a great rocker--I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed to see this as the first single.

The chorus is the only thing I really like about that song.

So far. Because I've only heard the beach clip and that isn't exactly good enough, quality-wise, to make a real judgement.

But from what I've heard of this song, I don't get into the verses, I'm not really impressed by Bono's singing there, it sounds like improvisation to me, incoherent and kind of messy.

Live rocker? Not really. If it stays like it is on the beach clips it might be an interesting song, but certainly no live rocker. But maybe Edge has other definitions of "live rocker" than most of us.

This is the "f- off live rocker" Edge talked about ?

O-kay...

Have you heard the verse from Clip 2?

It's fierce and definitely justifies that quote from the Edge. In fact, the verse is way more of an f-off live rocker than Bullet the Blue Sky.

Ummm, then maybe I ignored this aspect because I like the chorus so much more. My main problem with this song/clip is, that chorus and verses are so different, it almost sounds like these are two different songs.

Ummm, then maybe I ignored this aspect because I like the chorus so much more. My main problem with this song/clip is, that chorus and verses are so different, it almost sounds like these are two different songs.

I can definitely agree with you there. The verse is the fiercest thing they have done and the chorus would fit in well between Miracle Drug and Original of the Species. While that may sound terrible, I still think the song works--the backing vocals in the chorus will determine how much I like it in the finished version. They sound very gospel-y. And the outro is amazing (starting 3:44 on beach clip 2).

Okay, okay, okay... I really need to listen to these beach clips again. Can someone send them to me?

jrsmithling@gmail.com

I had them at one point, way back when, but deleted them in effort to limit the recognition I had of the songs for when the album came out. Since it's been delayed, I've really been wanting to hear those tunes again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom