New U2 Album in 2012?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't imagine the charmed life that allows tribute bands to cause one offence.

Plus, there's one in NYC named Lez Zeppelin and they smoke.

Isn't Legends in Concert one of the longest running shows in Vegas? Celebrity impersonators=entertainment. :shrug: Don't see any problem with it. If you don't like, don't go.

Isn't Legends in Concert one of the longest running shows in Vegas?

What's that got to do with anything?

Celebrity impersonators=entertainment. :shrug:

So it's immune from criticism? What the guy was basically saying is "These guys are awesome" without saying he was in them, which is ultra tacky (he may not be, but he probably is). Promotion asks for commentary, and I think they're terrible and creepy. If they don't like it, stay home, but something tells me they don't really give a shit about what I, or anyone else says.

If you don't like, don't go.

I won't. I'll go see a real band.

Hollow Island said:
What's that got to do with anything?
You asked why anyone would work so hard to pretend to be someone else. I'm saying it works out well for the people involved with that show- just an example. I can think of worse jobs.

Hollow Island said:
So it's immune from criticism?

Nope, but this isn't the thread for it. Start a new on if you want to discuss tribute bands. Yea the guy that posted originally shouldn't have advertised, but he was called out once. Good enough. Move on.

:resuming discussion about new album: Can't wait to hear new stuff from U2! :hyper:

You asked why anyone would work so hard to pretend to be someone else. I'm saying it works out well for the people involved with that show- just an example. I can think of worse jobs.

Nope, but this isn't the thread for it. Start a new on if you want to discuss tribute bands. Yea the guy that posted originally shouldn't have advertised, but he was called out once. Good enough. Move on.

:resuming discussion about new album: Can't wait to hear new stuff from U2! :hyper:

You're criticizing a discussion that you're taking part in.

Hollow Island said:
Why anyone would book these clowns instead of a real band is something I care not to fathom, primarily because I don't have the time.

Considering the time you've taken to spew your inane bullshit, you likely do have the time.

But all's good... you don't really have to get your sensitive music palate all offended by a faux bono. Tribute acts and live original music largely are not competing for the same audience, and/or gigs.

You think its corny? That's fine... in a way it is. Thankfully you have the choice not to go. So instead of ripping apart somebody who's doing what they have to do to make a living, and providing entertainment to an obviously large audience in the process... just don't go.

Hey, problem solved!

Sorry guys. I didn't realize that the link was so distasteful. It won't happen again. I had posted once before that I had thought the tribute act I play in was one of the better ones, and someone didn't like that either, but I didn't think that a link to our blog would be considered in bad taste. I sincerely apologize.

For what it's worth, we try to do what we do with musical integrity, and I certainly understand why many people, mostly I think, other musicians, find it so corny. From my perspective, as a professional bass player, it takes care of a good chunk of my nut every month. As a musician who relies exclusively on gigs and lessons for income, that's a pretty big deal. If I do a TV commercial, that's about $110. A jazz gig might pay about the same. But corporate bands, once they are up and running, produce a fairly steady stream of income for the members of the band. And, people really love it. Let's face it, if you're paying the bills playing music, the vast majority of the time, you're playing music written by somebody else. In this case, I get to play music that is written by somebody else that I REALLY LIKE, and I get to travel all over the world. It's really a pretty good deal all around, and I'd be silly to turn my nose up at the opportunity.

Anyway, I was just talking to our singer about Danger Mouse, and then I stumbled on the fact that U2 had worked with him, which wound me up on this thread, trying to find out exactly what the story was. I'll definitely knock off the self-promotion.

You think its corny? That's fine... in a way it is. Thankfully you have the choice not to go. So instead of ripping apart somebody who's doing what they have to do to make a living, and providing entertainment to an obviously large audience in the process... just don't go.

Hey, problem solved!

:up:

Let's face it, if you're paying the bills playing music, the vast majority of the time, you're playing music written by somebody else.

Most people who mouth off on internet sites about musicians and bands do not know this very very important factoid.

And the rest of your post was bang on and much appreciated from this corner (but I'm a lil biased, admittedly ;)). Yeah, you posted in the wrong section, but nothing you did deserved Hollow Island's ridiculous rant.

Best of luck to you guys.

Agreed. There's really nothing John did to provoke such a response. Way out of line. Then again, Hollowbody hasn't been known for happy or positive comments..

Agreed. There's really nothing John did to provoke such a response. Way out of line. Then again, Hollowbody hasn't been known for happy or positive comments..

Look, it wasn't that bad, and it was kind of funny (re the groupie shagging).

I don't see why it's so bad that I think someone pretending to be Bono is creepy, and that I don't like the tribute bands of actors. I think tribute bands are fine, like I said, but I really don't like the impersonations. Is that so controversial?

Also, I said that I doubt the guys really care what I say, and Johnclassic said he totally understands why people feel that it's corny. Furthermore, several of the comments directed at me have been far more rude and aggressive than what I said (Don't be so fucking stupid, That was the stupidest string of posts in a long time. Wait...oh, right. Forgot who posted them).

Why are you people more upset then the guy who engaged in the undercover advertising?

Jesus people, you need to chill out and not take things to seriously. Not only can the real U2 not be criticized, their impersonators are holy as well!

They do what they like for a living, they enjoy it, and that's great. However, if they don't want to be talked about they shouldn't post adverts on a forum (a place for talking) that is not designated for that purpose, and Johnclassic recognized that.

It wasn't actually funny, it was more rude and insulting.

What you're saying now is much more calm and not insulting. You're just calmly explaining your point rather than insulting someone with every word. Do you really not see the difference between your two posts?

Jesus people, you need to chill out and not take things to seriously. Not only can the real U2 not be criticized, their impersonators are holy as well!

Oh the irony... :lmao:

Maybe, just maybe, it'll help them see the light

In Toronto there's a series called Classic Albums Live. Great musicians get together and play classic albums all the way through. They don't dress in costume, they don't pretend to be Robert Plant or Mick Jagger, or Bono, and it's not shameful. They're just musicians doing their thing, no different from a symphony. These fake U2 chuckleheads are something completely different and pretty offensive.

You took this whole thing way too seriously.

Sorry guys. I didn't realize that the link was so distasteful. It won't happen again. I had posted once before that I had thought the tribute act I play in was one of the better ones, and someone didn't like that either, but I didn't think that a link to our blog would be considered in bad taste. I sincerely apologize.

For what it's worth, we try to do what we do with musical integrity, and I certainly understand why many people, mostly I think, other musicians, find it so corny. From my perspective, as a professional bass player, it takes care of a good chunk of my nut every month. As a musician who relies exclusively on gigs and lessons for income, that's a pretty big deal. If I do a TV commercial, that's about $110. A jazz gig might pay about the same. But corporate bands, once they are up and running, produce a fairly steady stream of income for the members of the band. And, people really love it. Let's face it, if you're paying the bills playing music, the vast majority of the time, you're playing music written by somebody else. In this case, I get to play music that is written by somebody else that I REALLY LIKE, and I get to travel all over the world. It's really a pretty good deal all around, and I'd be silly to turn my nose up at the opportunity.

Anyway, I was just talking to our singer about Danger Mouse, and then I stumbled on the fact that U2 had worked with him, which wound me up on this thread, trying to find out exactly what the story was. I'll definitely knock off the self-promotion.

you're really lucky to be able to make a living doing something you love, i.e. playing music! :up:

my son is a percussionist, music is his whole life, and he's actually very good at it, and we're trying to help him find his way thru his studies so he can keep up his music training and hopefully find a way to work in music somehow... he's into really heavy stuff, and i just know it would totally be up his street if he could play in a Slipknot (for example) tribute band, it would be a blast i'm sure! hell, another member of my family is a musician and spent a while playing in a wedding band at weekends on top of his other work - i think it's nice when people are willing to pay you to play for them!

there are far FAR worse things to do for a living!

i wonder what Hollow Island does for a living :hmm:

We desperately need a vague quote from U2 or Paul McGuinness to perseverate over for a few months.

It wasn't actually funny, it was more rude and insulting.

What you're saying now is much more calm and not insulting. You're just calmly explaining your point rather than insulting someone with every word. Do you really not see the difference between your two posts?

I do, naturally. I didn't mean to be insulting, and if they guy had said "Hey check out my tribute band" instead of pretending to be a third party I probably wouldn't have done nothing more than comment on the guy pretending to be Bono.

Sorry to have caused offense.

Oh the irony... :lmao:

You took this whole thing way too seriously.

Right, by attempting to explain and clarify my statement, and by attempting humour? There's a thing called sarcasm, and another called hyperbole, and sometimes people elaborate on points instead of dishing out one liners, and sometimes they issue reasoned criticism and engage in conversation.

Just pretend none of that happened and I wrote this instead:

LAvation :huh:

and sometimes people elaborate on points instead of dishing out one liners, and sometimes they issue reasoned criticism and engage in conversation.

Wouldn't reasoned criticism, engaging, and elaborating on points require taking it seriously?

You're trying to have it both ways in here because you got called out for being a jerk.

Wouldn't reasoned criticism, engaging, and elaborating on points require taking it seriously?

No, it requires a functioning mind and amusement. There's a difference between explaining something and taking "this whole thing way too seriously."

You're engaging in speculation upon my motives and relying on one liners. If you disagree with the essence of my comment, then by all means do so. But if you're just going to continue with the insults, throw one liners around, and attack me and not what I say then maybe you should find something more constructive to do.

I already explained why I used the tone I did, and I apologized if anyone was offended. Some people disagree with my opinion on tribute bands of impersonators, and that's cool. You haven't done that. You've just given me a hard time because that's what you do here. You sit and wait for opportunities to dish insulting out one-liners that more often than not focus on isolated sentences rather than the essence of what is said, then head back to the shadows.

I anticipate you to type a sentence about me taking things seriously, so before you do that I'd like you to re-read my the first paragraph I typed in this post, and then go read a book or have a beer.

Oh, now you want reasoned dialogue: :rolleyes: :lol:

I wonder if you understand the difference between an impersonator, a musician in a tribute band, and a musician in a cover band. Something tells me as long as a singer puts on shades, you lose all sense of reality in your hurry to throw up at the thought of someone doing what audiences of tribute bands have come to expect: put on the entire show, costuming and all. Bands that don't do this aren't called tribute bands mostly, they are called cover bands, and there's a big difference in both type of venue and crowd, and also pay scale.

But to say that tribute musicians are not in fact real musicians and are any less skillful or entertaining than other musicians who are simply covering U2 songs at a classic album show, that is a statement not based in fact or any sound logic. It's quite illogical, in fact. If they weren't musicians, they wouldn't be able to learn U2 songs. Maybe you think they're lip synching? :lol:

According to U2place.com, Adam was interviewed on Radio1 and said this, "Stiamo lavorando al prossimo album. Secondo Bono potrebbe già essere pubblicato domani ma credo che ci vorrà un pò più di tempo!"

Google translate says that means: "We are working on the next album. According to Bono [it] may already be published tomorrow but I think it will take a little longer!"

Don't know if that means they are working on it physically (as in rehearsing, recording, etc.) or if it just means they're heading in that direction, but it's something for the thread other than pointless bickering ; )

Back
Top Bottom