New U2 Album in 2012?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no way U2 would tour an album while the stones were on tour. Mark your calendars for fall 2013. This now makes the most sense in my opinion.

I had been slightly optimistic. Sadly, no longer.

pretty sure U2 toured Atomic Bomb the year the Stones toured for "A Bigger Bang"

Also I believe Popmart had a partial overlap with Bridges to Babylon.

And Richards reportedly had arthritis issues with his fingers that affected his playing ... are they fit for a worldwide tour ?

Really, our only chances for a new song, two or three this year come from either a remastered Pop or a Best of 2000-10.

Unless they're just so super confident in the songs that they've got w/ Danger Mouse that they don't even want to tweak them at all...which I'd find hard to believe.

The reason the new album isn't coming out until fall 2013 is because LiveNation doesn't want them to tour until 2014. Let some other mega tours play in 2012-13 (Madonna, Stones, Bruce, Coldplay). Then U2 can be the only show in town in 2014-15.

By 2014, international demand will have rebuilt itself for another massive U2 tour. Honestly, there's no point in U2 putting out a new record unless it's a jumping point for a tour. The amount of money they make off record sales is incredibly insignificant compared to what they make for playing live. Unfortunately, U2 is a business at this point, and that is the smart business model they and their companies will choose.

I think U2 probably has 2, maybe 3 massive world tours left in them. One in 2014-15, and then one towards the end of this decade. There is a possibility that they will do another one in the mid 2020s, if they're all still healthy in their mid 60s. If that be the case, we're looking at 2-3 more U2 albums left. And then after they retire, hopefully they open the vaults!!!

The reason the new album isn't coming out until fall 2013 is because LiveNation doesn't want them to tour until 2014. Let some other mega tours play in 2012-13 (Madonna, Stones, Bruce, Coldplay). Then U2 can be the only show in town in 2014-15.

By 2014, international demand will have rebuilt itself for another massive U2 tour. Honestly, there's no point in U2 putting out a new record unless it's a jumping point for a tour. The amount of money they make off record sales is incredibly insignificant compared to what they make for playing live. Unfortunately, U2 is a business at this point, and that is the smart business model they and their companies will choose.

I think U2 probably has 2, maybe 3 massive world tours left in them. One in 2014-15, and then one towards the end of this decade. There is a possibility that they will do another one in the mid 2020s, if they're all still healthy in their mid 60s. If that be the case, we're looking at 2-3 more U2 albums left. And then after they retire, hopefully they open the vaults!!!

This, while I don't like it, makes too much sense not to happen and will be the pattern unless they decide to release an album without touring it which at this point is highly unlikely due to the $$$$$ and the fact they have a lot of $$$$$ and live is where they live and they have to be slowing down at some point. I want the vault, but if they are still releasing albums in 2020 I will be extremely happy! :) We all want albums every 2 years, but it's not going to happen, U2 don't have anything to prove, now it's just world domination every 4 years. ;)

No one of those acts can match what U2 did with 360.

U2 decides for themselves when to release & tour, it's laughable to think Live Nation has that kind of play over them.

U2 decides for themselves when to release & tour, it's laughable to think Live Nation has that kind of play over them.

I agree. And to think that the world cares if U2 tours at the same time as Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Coldplay, whatever...

Come on. While the individual person might have to decide between shows, the shows aren't going to ever see some slacking attendance. None of those shows will. There's enough fans to go round.

raaahrrr!!!!

considering that every time u2 sets the record the stones have taken it back... and considering as the stones and madonna will (likely) charge more than u2 did... yes, it is quite possible that u2's 360 records could fall. not necessarily likely, considering that i don't know if the stones can tour for as long as they would in the past anymore... but certainly not impossible.

raaahrrr!!!!

considering that every time u2 sets the record the stones have taken it back... and considering as the stones and madonna will (likely) charge more than u2 did... yes, it is quite possible that u2's 360 records could fall. not necessarily likely, considering that i don't know if the stones can tour for as long as they would in the past anymore... but certainly not impossible.

who cares anyway, i want good music and good shows, don't care about this record! :huh:

raaahrrr!!!!

If the Stones tour next year, say it's their last tour (it'd almost have to be anyway), charge normal Stones prices AND bring back Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman (as has been rumored), then yes they could certainly beat 360's record. Although word has it that the Stones won't do a proper "TOUR", but rather several shows in the big markets and let fans comes to them.

If the Stones tour next year, say it's their last tour (it'd almost have to be anyway), charge normal Stones prices AND bring back Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman (as has been rumored), then yes they could certainly beat 360's record. Although word has it that the Stones won't do a proper "TOUR", but rather several shows in the big markets and let fans comes to them.

Prince does that. It seems fair to me for older artists.

I would love to hear them do an album with Danger Mouse.

U2 Tribute Band | L.A.vation - The World's Greatest Tribute to U2

:lol:

Those guys are pathetic and creepy in equal measure, with a liberal slathering of smarm on top. Children playing dress-up, except they're middle aged men, and are sadly completely unaware of how dreadful they are. Why would grown men, musicians, spend hours learning how to be someone else?

I'm mainly directing my criticism at the fake Bono. He's just the worst.

I wonder if he maintains character during the groupie shagging, and if the groupies are tribute groupies...this is all getting too complicated! "Don't mean to bug ya...ok lass, the condom broke! I'm pretty clean..."

Why anyone would book these clowns instead of a real band is something I care not to fathom, primarily because I don't have the time.

Those guys are pathetic and creepy in equal measure, with a liberal slathering of smarm on top. Children playing dress-up, except they're middle aged men, and are sadly completely unaware of how dreadful they are. Why would grown men, musicians, spend hours learning how to be someone else?

I'm mainly directing my criticism at the fake Bono. He's just the worst.

I wonder if he maintains character during the groupie shagging, and if the groupies are tribute groupies...this is all getting too complicated! "Don't mean to bug ya...ok lass, the condom broke! I'm pretty clean..."

Why anyone would book these clowns instead of a real band is something I care not to fathom, primarily because I don't have the time.

Ummmm, he is part of L.A. vation, that should have been obvious.

Ummmm, he is part of L.A. vation, that should have been obvious.

No shit, but since he didn't say "hey, every day is hallowe'en in my life, check out my 'band'" I thought I'd address him indirectly.

wooo dude, no need to rage like that. If you don't like it, sure, but to insult them like this? :huh:

Tacky self promotion of a tacky, extremely creepy endevour deserves nothing less.

Here, I'll add a smiley to the original post to make it seems less rageful. I'm actually rather amused by them.

Tribute bands can be fun. They can get paid good $. And they usually have a "serious" musical endeavor that the tribute helps supplement.

I don't love the self-promotion either, but your comment was totally rude.

I think it was appropriate (Adjective:Suitable or proper in the circumstances.).

Indirect, tacky self-promotion + what they're promoting = getting shat on.

Maybe, just maybe, it'll help them see the light, ditch the singer, and get on being a real band, or maybe just ditching the characters...tell me that the guy playing Bono doesn't come across as ultrapervy.

Tribute bands can be fun. They can get paid good $. And they usually have a "serious" musical endeavor that the tribute helps supplement.

In Toronto there's a series called Classic Albums Live. Great musicians get together and play classic albums all the way through. They don't dress in costume, they don't pretend to be Robert Plant or Mick Jagger, or Bono, and it's not shameful. They're just musicians doing their thing, no different from a symphony. These fake U2 chuckleheads are something completely different and pretty offensive.

Back
Top Bottom