New Q mag - we may be about to see some Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But judging by how long they stay in the set, he clearly doesn't have a very strong influence!

And IGWSHA? Playing that pretty much equates to not playing anything from Pop anyway. It's as un-Pop as Pop gets.

Maybe they're humoring him

I presume these recordings come from the Toronto soundchecks in September 2005...

Don't like that version of Mofo, but it would be cool if at some part during a more 'traditional' rendition, it did kick into something else for a bit, where Edge was running like that with Adam. The song just breaks down into that for a while, before kicking back to the rhythm led dancey version, or as sort of a fun outro or something. That would be cool/fun. But all the way with this version? It just sounds like they're trying to turn it into one of their 00s rockers.

its the guitar doing that sequenced synth part that i just HATE about it. A) it sounds like he can barely play it and B) while remixes of stuff like Crazy Tonight are interesting in themselves trying to convert whats essentially a dance track to a rock track and basically remove its pulse (not the mention that bloody squealing guitar part) makes no sense.

And here I thought you people were full of shit when you said they rehearsed it in 2005

Any links to to the full song?

The clips are from 2005 soundchecks. That's all I have, sorry. They were samples put up by traders comparing their rare stuff:drool:

I just find it hilarious that so many people formed such strong opinions about Mofo after hearing band playing 30 seconds of it at a soundcheck.

why? imagine hearing just a 30 second clip of U2 trying out a reggae arrangement of Sunday Bloody Sunday or something equally naff...30 seconds is more than enough, it either sounds good or it doesn't.
unless they suddenly changed back to the original arrangement halfway through the song as if to say "HAH, just kidding guys..." i hardly think my opinion of it would change after hearing the whole thing?

why? imagine hearing just a 30 second clip of U2 trying out a reggae arrangement of Sunday Bloody Sunday or something equally naff...30 seconds is more than enough, it either sounds good or it doesn't.
unless they suddenly changed back to the original arrangement halfway through the song as if to say "HAH, just kidding guys..." i hardly think my opinion of it would change after hearing the whole thing?

It's a work in progress that seems currently in its infant stages. It's a 5-minute song that goes through a lot of changes. I seem to recall that fans who have heard this version playing in 2005 reported that the squealing guitar part was indeed in there somewhere.

If I would hear selected 30 seconds from a soundcheck of Discotheque in 2005, it would probably sound weird. I loved the finished version that was played in Chicago and Toronto and still believe it's the best version of that song so far.

But don't get me wrong - I don't believe that this version of Mofo worked in the end, obviously because they decided they wouldn't play it, but these 30 seconds tell me absolutely nothing. It's a very raw intro to a song they didn't play for years and years before this, with Bono - an admitted hater of rehearsals - singing the first two lines in a comical, half-assed way. Who knows what the finished (or the closest thing to finished) product sounded like - which is why I would like to get my hands on a full recording.

a very fair point :up:
sorry i knew if i didnt reply with that it'd just make me look a complete asshole

The song was pretty much completed...they just chickened out on performing it. Bono also plays a bit of guitar on it. That clip that got released didn't have a lot of bass but the final mixed version has lots of dynamic bass. It has lots of "skyscraper" as bono puts it aka the squealing guitar later in the song.

The song was pretty much completed...they just chickened out on performing it. Bono also plays a bit of guitar on it. That clip that got released didn't have a lot of bass but the final mixed version has lots of dynamic bass. It has lots of "skyscraper" as bono puts it aka the squealing guitar later in the song.

And is there a way to get this final version maybe?

LNOE PopMart style is the Greatest. Shit. Ever.

I'd LOVE to hear that again! And why they didn't turn that dirty sexy guitar up in the mix on the album version, I'll never know.....

I just find it hilarious that so many people formed such strong opinions about Mofo after hearing band playing 30 seconds of it at a soundcheck.

It's not that hard. Edge plays the synth riff instead of a bass guitar. That's wrong. Mofo is ALL about that BASS riff for me. Without it, it sucks. No matter how awesome the rest could be.

Mmm, quite a few Popmart references coming from the band :hyper:

As this tour has gone on the band has remembered quite a few albums,

Boy - Follow & OOC
October - Scarlet played
War - Drowning Man rehearsed
JT - One Tree Hill and the others
UF - Title song
RnH - Down under rant by Bono, Love Rescue Me
AB - UV & Real Thing
Zooropa - Title song
ATYCLB -.......

Don't count Bomb since it was the last album

Pop is the only one missing

If we get a Pop song, it's either Gone or a acoustic Staring at the Sun. Don't get your hopes up too high, cause we know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom