New Paul McGuiness Interview for AUS TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find your take interesting because one of the reasons Pop isn't my third favorite is because it's inconsistent and lacks intimacy at times... :shrug:

I actually find this comment kind of surprising. On the surface, it may not be intimate, but to most fans who know the stories, I would think it would be very intimate.

I can find intimacy in dark alleys or wide open spaces...its everywhere.

There are certain parts of PoP that are other worldly, like a dream where you are with people you do not know and you are all somehow connected by some strange and powerful force.

The out of body experience enhances the listening experience. PoP gets it done for me.

I actually find this comment kind of surprising. On the surface, it may not be intimate, but to most fans who know the stories, I would think it would be very intimate.

Exactly.

Velvet Dress and Wake Up Dead Man are as intimate as U2 ever got.

The lyrics to Mofo - I don't think Bono has ever been so personal without being corny (like so many tracks in the last 10 years). Gone is a big rock song (especially live) on the surface but Bono's delivery makes the subject issue very close to heart.

All in all, there is a feeling of dread throughout the record. It seems to me that Bono was in a very dark headspace at the time. With U2, this can only be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom