New Comments from Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
(09-14-2006) How U2 Plans to Help New Orleans March On - TIME*

How U2 Plans to Help New Orleans March On

Ed. Note -- U2.com states that the bands will perform on September 25th, not September 18th, as the article below claims.

Meanwhile The Edge adds that U2 is working with producer Rick Rubin on their new album. "We are really enjoying the chemistry," he says. "It's too early to say where it's going to lead—we're nowhere near any kind of timetable or anything—but we're having a good time." Rubin has produced albums by everyone from Run DMC, Beastie Boys, and Red Hot Chili Peppers, to Dixie Chicks and Johnny Cash, but this is his first time working with U2. "I have a feeling that because of Rick's presence and some other things as well that it's going to sound very different," continues the Edge. "When people spend time with it, they'll pick up on a different spirit, and I think it is a departure. We don't want to spend a whole lot of time on this album, so hopefully we'll get on a roll and get it out there. But really, it's early days."

The first 2 paragraphs of this article discuss the Green Day song. But then Edge starts talking about the new album, and says some interesting and somewhat baffling comments:

1. "It's too early to say where it's going to lead- we're nowhere near anyd kind of timetable or anything". This is what I figured. They are in the early stages of recording.

However, he also says....

2. "We don't want to spend a whole lot of time on this album, so hopefully we'll get on a roll and get it out there."

And about the music itself, he has this to say:

3. "I have a feeling that because of Rick's presence and some other things as well that it's going to sound very different," continues the Edge. "When people spend time with it, they'll pick up on a different spirit, and I think it is a departure.

So basically, early stages of development, but they want to get it done quickly and get it out there. Rick's presence in the studio is going to make it sound different and have a different spirit, and he thinks it's a DEPARTURE. That last bit there didn't sit with me right. Anyone care to venture a guess as to what this means?

Yep. That's what I figured he'd say. They may just be starting, but they're not trying to make a masterpiece; they're trying to just have fun. :drool:

October 2007

LemonMelon said:
Yep. That's what I figured he'd say. They may just be starting, but they're not trying to make a masterpiece; they're trying to just have fun. :drool:

October 2007

But wouldn't it be great if, in trying to NOT make a masterpiece, they in fact do make a masterpiece. :dancing: :applaud: :rockon: :bump: :giggle: :bonodrum:

:hmm: Departure? Get it out soon?

Hip hop album! :wink:

I wonder if Edge's time spent in N. Orleans has influenced the album musically. A jazzy album would be a departure.

merge2.gif

It's so refreshing to see people other than Bono making this remarks. Kinda give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. :happy:

TheBrazilianFly said:
While Bono always says that the album is nearly done Edge always says that their still at the early stages. Fun, fun, fun. :happy:

I don't recall that Bono has said anything about this new album being almost done..:scratch:

Also, even though Edge said that this album's in early stages, he also said that they don't want to spend a lot of time on it----in a sense, making it not that long until it is nearly done. :wink:

I wonder if the choice of the Skids song is any indication of the direction of the new album. Which reminds me----it's kind of funny that Edge said that there's no set direction for the album yet, yet he does say that it's "a departure." :hmm:

The_acrobat said:
So basically, early stages of development, but they want to get it done quickly and get it out there. Rick's presence in the studio is going to make it sound different and have a different spirit, and he thinks it's a DEPARTURE. That last bit there didn't sit with me right. Anyone care to venture a guess as to what this means?
I would say Edge is hypothesizing that once we have the album in our hands and have privilage of repeated listenings, it will reveal itself as having a different spirit than where they just were (ie, Bomb and possibly ATYCLB as well)....and I would further suggest, based on his assumption of the album having a different "spirit", a departure would entail the very feeling of the album to be entirely different than their latest offerings, and probably any of their offerings thus far. But this for U2 is nothing new. They have never replicated an album's feel or sound for that matter. Bomb felt entirely different than ATYCLB, and didn't even sound the same. The type of disciplined songwriting is perhaps the only similarity in those two albums. This time expect to feel something entirely new - perhaps even more drastically than before - once again.

And to further pontificate... Edge is saying these things based on the vibe he is getting from the chemistry U2 are having with Rick Rubin. Sometimes it's the feeling or the chemistry that is the most telling, and therefore he doesn't even have to know what the material is going to be like to make this sort of a deduction. Sometimes you just know.

I'm actually looking forward to some sort of "departure." I loved the last two albums and also agree with MG that they are certainly 2 distinct albums, but I'll join in with the many who'd be excited to see something that's somehow very different. Just as long as it's not so much of a departure that it's another Passengers album....but I highly doubt that anyway.

In a way, I'm also excited that Edge said that you'll pick up on the different spirit after spending time with the album. It makes it sound like it'll be a very organic, multifaceted album.

I'm so fucking excited about this album for several reasons.

1. They're recording with Rick Rubin. Not only is the man a fantastic producer in his own right, but he tends to really bring out the best in artists he works with, he shakes things up a bit, which can only be good for U2 at this stage in their career.

2. They're recording in Abbey Road Studios. The face that they dicided to record here alone inplies something special, if not musically, a feeling that this is something special. The band obivously feels comfortable working with Rubin and at Abbey Road. Not to mention the sheer greatness that has come from this studio in the past.

3. From Edge's comments, it really sounds like the band want to record this album more quickly than usual, which in conjunction with the Rubin angle, begins to imply a more organic and live process, something not seen in HTDAAB.

I have no idea what the sound of the album will be like, but I would expect it to sound less laboured and produced than the past couple offerings. I also expect a different type of creative spark for this record that I think Edge was alluding to - I sense a pull in a different direction - perhaps a more organic production. If indeed they want to have this album finished quickly, I would suggest a fresh, higher energy record this time around - with perhaps a weakness for adventure.

Spontaneity seems to be the key word.

I certainly wouldn't call ATYCLB laboured or over-produced. To me it sounds like one of their most natural albums. Also, you just can't beat Lanois and Eno for production. Those guys are masters.

HTDAAB on the other hand...

Lancemc - you are correct. I should have qualified by statement by saying that Bomb felt more like that, as my basic point is that it sounds to me, with Rubin, they are going for a less production centric album than perhaps anything they have ever recoreded - Bomb or ATYCLB or otherwise. Fresh and spontaneous. ATYCLB sounds quite effortless with beautiful production, but it doesn't sound raw. It's well treated and multi layered and quite ambient in places. I wouldn't be surprised if Rubin brings an entirely different element to it this time. Take the organic songwriting approach from ATYCLB, yes, but bolt it down quicker with less treatments - and certainly less than Bomb. At least that's my take.

:hmm: "Departure" from ATYCLB/Bomb or "Departure" as in unlike anything they've ever done?

U2girl said:
:hmm: "Departure" from ATYCLB/Bomb or "Departure" as in unlike anything they've ever done?

I think that either of those options is possible---and both are very likely, as well.

I would say Edge meant, if you dig deep enough, a departure from anything they have ever done, as they have never worked with Rubin before and this presents an entirely different framework for the band - and a new chemistry. I would say they are getting the creative juices flowing once again...and that can only mean good things to come.

The thing I like is the comment about not spending much time in the studio.

1-Because that means the fans get our hands on it earlier.
2-Because I think it lends itself to a more organic approach. This means in terms of songwriting. That doesn't mean they won't layer sounds or try and be extravagant, I just mean in terms of writing the song, hopefully not spend too much time rewriting and overdubbing etc. This can only serve whatever was the 'spark' that started the particular song.

I'd only request one thing:

Somebody send a message to U2 and Rubin.
"PUT THE HARMONIES ON THE RECORD THIS TIME, PLEASE!!"
Edge and Bono have a great harmony, not unlike the Keidis/Frusciante/Flea harmonies which sound great on their last 3 records. Also, Rubin and U2 share a favorite band who loved harmonies, The Beatles.

City of Blinding Lights (amongst others), in my humble opinion really needed those live harmonies on the album. It just gives it a more rich sound, especially for the kind of songs they are trying to record. It just gets it done for me, it's my request for this album. "All my life I've waited for...." this album could be amazing.

U2DMfan said:
City of Blinding Lights (amongst others), in my humble opinion really needed those live harmonies on the album. It just gives it a more rich sound, especially for the kind of songs they are trying to record. It just gets it done for me, it's my request for this album. "All my life I've waited for...." this album could be amazing.

city of blinding lights needed to loose the xylophone and use the edge's guitar instead, like what made it amazing live...

yahweh was amazing live, just a simple guitar and organ mix... album was a little cheesy and over-produced.

stuck in a moment acoustic is breathtaking... album is merely good, not the mega-hit that they thought it would/could be.

i love electric storm with the guitars throughout... the orbit single mix? not so much.

the edge's production on the soundtrack version of hands that built america, with the classic irish touch to it, wonderful... the over-produced version on the greatest? no so wonderful.

i could go on and on, but they do tend to try and make things too perfect and end up over shooting the bow, so to speak.

i can't wait to hear what comes out of these sessions with rubin :drool:

What I dont understand is why so many of you want them to rush this album out. Typically when U2's rushes an album the result is not their best work IMO. I would rather they take their time and get it right.

Here is what I read into this. Edge STATED, they are at such an early stage they dont even have a time table yet. Even IF they dont want to spend as much time in the studio it still means they are a LONG way from getting near a finished product. Also they are doing the single with Green Day and then the NFL deal in New Orleans. After that they are most likely going into leg 5 rehearsals and then there is leg 5. Then the holidays. So they dont really get back into the full studio swing again until next year. To me it looks like they brought Rubin in to work on the Green Day single and to see if they liked working with him and vice versa. Kind of a mini test run for both. Rubin may not even end up producing the album, that wouldnt shock me one bit.

I still say the earliest the album is happening is late fall 2007 but I still think it will be 2008. Edge's comments about having no timetable at this point suggests that to me. :shrug:

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

i can't wait to hear what comes out of these sessions with rubin :drool:

How awesome would it be if tapes of the sessions leaked out---like the Salome/Hansa Ton tapes! :drool: I don't need to hear them before the album...in fact, I don't think I'd want to. But I have a feeling that they'd sound awesome, and I'd love to hear what the process sounds like this time around. :yes:

frankly i see these comments as bad news

i was thinking 2007 before, but now i think 2008 is more likely

Edge words seem to say "we don't want to push hard, just record a bunch of songs and go on tour" :eyebrow:

is that any good? I don't think so

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom