New Coldplay - "Mylo Xyloto", Oct 24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope these two singles aren't an indication of the direction they're going in.

The production is extremely modern, even veering towards mainstream modern hip-hop/r&b at times

Yeah, it really is. Interesting.

"Lost!" had a little bit of that, and maybe a couple of other tracks, but this song has it even more so. Something about the chorus feels very much like what you said...an R&B hook or rap hook that you'd hear on the radio from the last couple of years.

I really dig the first 60 seconds or so of the song. The intro is fantastic.

And the verse melody is very catchy...but the chorus...I don't know.

At least it's something different, though.

Much better than Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall and it'll be interesting to hear in the context of the entire album.

Love the strings, but at the same time, the song feels a bit like something you'd play over the end credits of a Keira Knightley period drama. Not sure if that's a great thing or not yet...

Yeah, it really is. Interesting.

"Lost!" had a little bit of that, and maybe a couple of other tracks, but this song has it even more so. Something about the chorus feels very much like what you said...an R&B hook or rap hook that you'd hear on the radio from the last couple of years.

I really dig the first 60 seconds or so of the song. The intro is fantastic.

And the verse melody is very catchy...but the chorus...I don't know.

At least it's something different, though.

It's definitely something different all right. I was more confident about Viva La Vida after Violet Hill and the title track, but neither of those two ended up being close to my favourites, so I'm still excited.

I like the keyboard riff when it kicks in at the intro, and the chorus is alright. Could grow on me a bit more in time, but it's just okay to me right now.

Not sure if I like it better than Major Minor either, which was the only other one that caught me on first listen.

That was pretty lame. The song's title repeated 40 times followed by "wooahhhaoooahhhh" does not a quality chorus make. The lyrics were weak and full of easy rhymes. They referenced Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. The beat is abrasive and makes the song feel as if it's moving in slow motion. Again, Major Minor and Moving To Mars are leagues ahead of these crappy singles.

On the plus side, nice strings at the beginning and end, the latter of which momentarily deviated from the melody in an interesting way.

Actually, I really like this single a lot. I didn't care much for Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall as much, but this is pleasant. Once that second chorus hit, I was sold.

Really loving Paradise. It's a perfect pop song, a gorgeous chorus, and is super catchy in a good way. Probably won't be the most enduringly enjoyable song of all time (like Viva La Vida), but could prove quite a breezy and euphoric highlight in the context of the broader Mylo Xyloto album.

Shitloads better than Teardrops = Waterfalls (shame that the lyrics namecheck that frustrating first single)

Gotta say, Paradise has been growing on me quite a bit lately. There are actually a lot of different musical elements at work in the song...the modern pop drumbeats everyone's been talking about, the string section (sometimes treated to sound like a synthesizer, sometimes not), an organ in the intro, some cool synth vocals, and, of course, classic Coldplay piano. Oh, and that awesome guitar solo at the end. I'd guess Eno was heavily involved with this one; moreso than he was with Teardrop.

Looking forward to hearing the new stuff tomorrow. The taping will air December 31, for those interested.

Really, really good time. Some real live bangers among the crop of new tunes. Here's the set you'll be getting in December:

Mylo Xyloto
Hurts Like Heaven
Yellow
In My Place
Major Minus
Lost
The Scientist
God Put a Smile
Up In Flames (first time performed live)
Us Against the World
Politik
Viva La Vida
Charlie Brown
Paradise

Clocks
Fix You
Every Teardrop

Hmmmm, so is "Mylo Xyloto" just that short little instrumental passage that they play before "Hurts Like Heaven"?

They did that at Lolla, but for some reason I thought it was part of the same song.

How was "Up In Flames"? I've been reading some Bono-esque hype for that one. Shit like MASSIVE and FUTURE CLASSIC and all that good stuff.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Hmmmm, so is "Mylo Xyloto" just that short little instrumental passage that they play before "Hurts Like Heaven"?

Aww, that blows. I wanted to know how many words they could find to rhyme with Xyloto.

Really, really good time. Some real live bangers among the crop of new tunes. Here's the set you'll be getting in December:

Mylo Xyloto
Hurts Like Heaven
Yellow
In My Place
Major Minus
Lost
The Scientist
God Put a Smile
Up In Flames (first time performed live)
Us Against the World
Politik
Viva La Vida
Charlie Brown
Paradise

Clocks
Fix You
Every Teardrop
Looks like a good setlist!
Kind of surprised they didn't add Don't Let It Break Your Heart, though...they were really talking that one up on the website.
Also Politik > Viva la Vida > Charlie Brown > Paradise sounds like an epic way to close the main set. :drool:
EDIT: For anyone interested in hearing Up In Flames a bit early, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLwFvcA8eS4

Why, hello, live version of Paradise from Austin City Limits:

Seriously can't stop listening to this song. Damn amazing.
Sounds fantastic live. :dance:
(Also: Between singles and live recordings, it's now possible to put together a pretty good approximation of the first half of the album. I tried it last night, and it flows really well. They've definitely put a lot of thought into the tracklisting on this one.)

Paradise starts off interesting, but once again it's just new bells and whistles plastered over the same old Coldplay, minus a memorable tune. I keep waiting to like something off the new album but it's just not happening.

Yeah, you know what I meant. A really good, competent song, but too conservative to be truly memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom