New Album to Rival Joshua Tree...so say's recording star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrBrau1 said:

My top 3:

AB
JT
HTDAAB

So, it does stack up.

depending on my mood brau, I'd agree.

#1 and #2 are always the same; #3 wavers between htdaab, uf, pop, and zooropa.

when i say no im not saying HTDAAB is bad, i enjoy it very much. but i really dont think u2 could come up another album to rival the JT. The Joshua Tree is an ablum that will go down in history as on the the great albums of all time. HTDAAB wont.

Chizip said:
when i say no im not saying HTDAAB is bad, i enjoy it very much. but i really dont think u2 could come up another album to rival the JT. The Joshua Tree is an ablum that will go down in history as on the the great albums of all time. HTDAAB wont.

agreed.
and that's more than 98% of all bands can say too.
so God love 'em.

which actally is annoying because they don't play but 5 of those album tracks live.
sometimes.

:mad: I thought this thread was referring to a new album U2 was working on :scream: then I read the date :sad:

HTDAAB is probably just behind JT for me so yes, it does.

well Chizip, the album was done in August 2003, according to Neil McCormick who said he heard it at the time, but they obviously decided it didn't have "enough hits" and you know the rest.
It could have obviously came out in Spring '04.

and as far as stacking up to the Joshua Tree? Not even close.
I mean, if I use U2's standards, the standards they use to deride POP on a continuous basis, then I would say that it's not even close, sales, chart topping hits etc. I mean, it's a good and succesful album, but to compare it to arguably one of the 15 best rock records ever made? Give me a break.

U2DMfan said:
I mean, it's a good and succesful album, but to compare it to arguably one of the 15 best rock records ever made? Give me a break.

yeah.

U2DMfan said:
well Chizip, the album was done in August 2003, according to Neil McCormick who said he heard it at the time, but they obviously decided it didn't have "enough hits" and you know the rest.

well it didnt, thus making me right :wink:

Chizip said:

well it didnt, thus making me right :wink:

Fair enough. :)

Also I wanted to add, I'd say the same thing about 9 of U2's other albums and just about any other album made by Radiohead or anyone else. The Joshua Tree is something U2 or anyone else might not ever see again. I believe it to be a better album than Achtung in a broad sense even though Achtung is my favorite album by anyone ever.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:

and as far as stacking up to the Joshua Tree? Not even close.
I mean, if I use U2's standards, the standards they use to deride POP on a continuous basis, then I would say that it's not even close, sales, chart topping hits etc. I mean, it's a good and succesful album, but to compare it to arguably one of the 15 best rock records ever made? Give me a break.

I do believe HTDAAB is on pace to be one of U2's top sellers...more than ATYCLB. That says something...

While I love the Joshua Tree, I have to say, HTDAAB fits in very nicely with AB and POP. These three for me are quintessential U2, full of danger, heart and soul. I think it can be argued, as well, that these three launched the most interesting and impactful tours they've done so far.

Last edited:
hahaha I sounded a bit on the sauce on that thread.
so I will apologize for taking it out on you when I should have been blaming Larry from the start.

angelordevil said:

I do believe HTDAAB is on pace to be one of U2's top sellers...more than ATYCLB. That says something...
slightly off topic, but last I read:

I beleive ATYCLB has about 12 million sold worldwide
and I think HTDAAB is about 9 million and waning, meaning it likely will need a LOT of help to hit 10 anytime in the forseeable future. A big single or several grammies could help.

As it appears now, I think ATYCLB is gonna be the bigger seller.

AtomicBono said:
:mad: I thought this thread was referring to a new album U2 was working on :scream: then I read the date :sad:

dammit, me too. i got so fucking excited. but it's just HTDAAB. which is good, but not that close to JT.

i wonder who the source really was :hmm:

U2DMfan said:
hahaha I sounded a bit on the sauce on that thread.
so I will apologize for taking it out on you when I should have been blaming Larry from the start.

Lillywhite in 2003: "You need more songs."

Adam also felt they needed more hits (3 of 4 to be exact) than in 2000 to get the new fans in.

He agreed with Larry and they both said the album in October 2003 wasn't good enough.

Bono: "Bastards were right."

cseggleton said:

?Sky Hawk?? was described to us as ?epic, highbrow rock,? and is intended for the soundtrack to a major 2004 superhero film ? and therefore, could end up as the first song to reach the public.

Any idea what happened to this song or what it became, never heard of it.

AtomicBono said:

HTDAAB is probably just behind JT for me so yes, it does.

I also thought this was a new thread.:sad: :sad: :banghead:

cmb737 said:
I am posting this information to try and pass on what to me was some very exciting news. Here goes:

I happen to be in a line of work where I come into contact with artists, producers, engineers that have access to and friendships with people who are very high up (if not all the way up) with U2. I have been told, first hand, by a very reliable source that is as close to one of the biggest recording artists in Nashville some information about some new tracks for the new album. This person told me that this recording artist heard 6 new tracks in the personal presence of Bono himself (who was dancing around singing along) and that in the opinion of this VERY well respected and famous artist...this new album will rival the Joshua Tree in every aspect. There is a possibility that U2 may very well pull out the best album of their career.

Oh dear, surely not ANOTHER Joshua Tree. I hardly think U2 are going to make their best album of their careers in their late 40's. I thought The Bomb was supposed to be THE album of their careers wasn't it? And some on here think it is, how CRAZYYYYYYYYYYY is that!:wink:

MrBrau1 said:

My top 3:

AB
JT
HTDAAB

So, it does stack up.

Alright guys, discussion over! It DOES Stack up! CLOSE THE THREAD.

:wink:

And no, I don't think it lived up to any of the hype sadly. On first listen I wasn't blown over, but I grew to really like it at the time, but I think it JUST scrapes Top 5-7, sadly.

Edge is a helluava alot better on HTDAAB than he is on JT. "One Tree Hill", "Red Hill Town": I have a hard time listening to his work on those songs, nowadays. All he had in his arsenal at the time was that ringing/chiming sound. He didn't know how to bring any choice licks, like say the ones from "In A Little While" or "Original Of The Species" to any of those songs. I swear he phoned in the guitar part to "Red Hill Town". When he falls out of bed in the morning, RHT's guitar is what the thump sounds like. It's the most predictable he's ever sounded.

Layton said:
Edge is a helluava alot better on HTDAAB than he is on JT. "One Tree Hill", "Red Hill Town": I have a hard time listening to his work on those songs, nowadays. All he had in his arsenal at the time was that ringing/chiming sound. He didn't know how to bring any choice licks, like say the ones from "In A Little While" or "Original Of The Species" to any of those songs. I swear he phoned in the guitar part to "Red Hill Town". When he falls out of bed in the morning, RHT's guitar is what the thump sounds like. It's the most predictable he's ever sounded.

I don't deny that Edge's guitar playing is better than it was during JT, but don't forget that the ringing, chiming sound was still new and innovative in 1987. And to diss his playing on Red Hill is just plain ignorant - when he does the D-to-G slide on the Bottom string in the verses :drool:

Did you know that Daniel Lanois plays the part you're talking about on the album version of In A Little While? That's why it sounds so different - it's not even Edge playing. And as far as OOTS goes, I fail to see how Edge's playing is vastly different from his other work. Seems to me that he's doing the chiming thing on that song too:eyebrow:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom