New Album - inc 'Invisible' - discussion of Hangar Clips, Super Bowl and Amy Poehler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So they say, "get the fuck out"
But do they really want you to get the fuck out?
I've often questioned this, on my journey in faith, love, forgiveness, and mayhem.

No no no, we've been good little troopers here. We made our beds without a good nights sleep. We washed the dishes without tasting the meat. All of our journeys across the plains with no shoes for our feet.

Haven't we given our blood in the most urgent time of need? So they keep us around because everyone needs a pet. For some that's a lion, others a bear. And some with a doll stuck by a pin and a spare.

For every curse knows it's maker. Every disease has some kind of drug. For every poor soul who's very existence depends on the drug, a brilliant mind turns profit into a kingdom. Freedom isn't the bold realization that you are always going to possess the fastest bullet or the smartest gun. Freedom is.....lost....to those who blink.

[TIN FOIL HAT]

The song, whatever it is, that they are playing in the Hangar clip, is tuned down a half-step. Now, because of this, one might suggest that they MIGHT have been playing it live. In other words, rehearsing it live. And if so, one might suggest that the "video" shoot was a cover for a live rehearsal.

I mean, if I'm a world famous rock band and I'm going to an airplane hangar, I might very well be going to shoot a video in secret but if I needed somewhere to rehearse, live, in secret...

[/TIN FOIL HAT]

it sounded to me like they were playing live with the track playing in the background [/tin foil hat]

I listened to about half of NLOTH recently and I still cannot at all fathom how any fan could think it's 'crap' despite its obvious shortfalls.

I listened to about half of NLOTH recently and I still cannot at all fathom how any fan could think it's 'crap' despite its obvious shortfalls.

:applaud:

Even the 'obvious shortfalls' are better than the so-called best parts of ATYCLB and HTDAAB combined.

It's a reasonable statement to make that a best of 2000 to 2010 for U2 would be a more than worthy best of. Each album is let down by certain songs / sections, but the best of the decade is undoubtedly very good.

:applaud:

Even the 'obvious shortfalls' are better than the so-called best parts of ATYCLB and HTDAAB combined.

I disagree. IMO, Beautiful Day alone is better than the best parts of HTDAAB and NLOTH. Granted, the songs on HTDAAB and NLOTH exhibit a great deal of skill, craftsmanship and (to a lesser extent) inspiration. But Beautiful Day, and most of ATYCLB, exhibits even more. It is more creative, and more understated. It does not sound as contrived or forced as the last two albums. It feels much more genuine than the last two albums, which, in my opinion, felt like the band was trying too hard to sound big, or sound popular, or sound like they used to.

Here's hoping that the new album is better than the last two. :beer:

I think No Line is somewhat disappointing or frustrating because it feels very close to being very great, only just misses the mark, a lot of songs that are sooo close, and of course some that are a complete misfire... But I think the improvement from Bomb to No Line is immense. Only comparable at the middle three songs of No Line, which are really a bit of a Return of the Bomb. The rest, in my humble opinion, leave its predecessor in the dust.

So that’s why I’ve got lowered but optimistic hopes for this album. They were so close to something really good on the last one that not a huge amount of improvement is required, and they might look at some of those songs and see that, but then that’s tempered by the fact that they see it as a failure commercially, so are also likely to double down on that side of it, which I effectively have no interest in. An album 10-20% better than No Line will satisfy me greatly (if not quite knocking my socks off – but being realistic about where they’re at…), and an album more in line with Atomic Bomb I don’t think I’d even really ever listen to.

The first three tracks of NLOTH make for the only solid, sustained run of greatness from U2 in the last 15 years. Unknown Caller ain't too bad either. On first listen, I almost cried I was so happy. I still find that start impressive.

It's a shame about the middle three. But cut them out and you're in business. The peaks of HTDAAB are non-existent and the valleys of ATYCLB are completely unlistenable, so NLOTH wins easily.

Last edited:
I think No Line is somewhat disappointing or frustrating because it feels very close to being very great, only just misses the mark, a lot of songs that are sooo close, and of course some that are a complete misfire... But I think the improvement from Bomb to No Line is immense. Only comparable at the middle three songs of No Line, which are really a bit of a Return of the Bomb. The rest, in my humble opinion, leave its predecessor in the dust.

So that’s why I’ve got lowered but optimistic hopes for this album. They were so close to something really good on the last one that not a huge amount of improvement is required, and they might look at some of those songs and see that, but then that’s tempered by the fact that they see it as a failure commercially, so are also likely to double down on that side of it, which I effectively have no interest in. An album 10-20% better than No Line will satisfy me greatly (if not quite knocking my socks off – but being realistic about where they’re at…), and an album more in line with Atomic Bomb I don’t think I’d even really ever listen to.

Great Post I agree 100% :up:

Of the last three NLOTH is my favourite "album" but is obviously nowhere near perfect. Part of the problem with that one was that my expectation was very high with all the news and rumours and snippets of their stuff from Morocco. Cue much disappointment with the final thing, but I think it's still a much better all round album than the previous two.

With those, there's some excellent songs, some ok songs, some paint-by-numbers U2 songs and a few very poor ones IMO. There's maybe a very good single album there, but they just lack cohesion.

Still optimistic and excited that the new album is going to be genuinely different and more of a finished article with a cohesive theme running through it than they last three.

So they say, "get the fuck out"
But do they really want you to get the fuck out?
I've often questioned this, on my journey in faith, love, forgiveness, and mayhem.

:shifty: I think I'd rather get a fuck in than out...

And for the record, NLOTH is still my 2nd favourite U2 album. :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom