New album discussion: After despair comes acceptance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Weekdays
FUV Music

M-Th 2am-10pm; F 2am-7pm
This is how we roll: More than just the same handful of songs by the same tired artists - with disc jockeys who are real people who care about the music.

FUV Live
M-Th 9pm
Studio visits from our favorite artists, as they stop by for conversation with our on-air hosts and perform live for us.
Past shows in the WFUV Archives.

The Alternate Side on FUV
Weeknights 10pm-Midnight

A taste of our online/HD indie music channel, with a broad range of established and emerging rock and other styles, from across the city and beyond. [More info]

wfuv is great. vin scelsa . The group harmony review. The kara manning show. They had echos on there at one point.

I am sure this has been addressed previously, but who the f*ck is Ryan Tedder and why is U2 deferring to this guy? I've only heard he's produced some crap like Maroon 5. I have never heard of a OneRepublic song. Is this something I should do?

Speaking of producers, I saw Broken Bells in concert this past weekend and Danger Mouse is one cool cat...played bass, keyboards, drums, and it all sounded great.

I am sure this has been addressed previously, but who the f*ck is Ryan Tedder and why is U2 deferring to this guy? I've only heard he's produced some crap like Maroon 5. I have never heard of a OneRepublic song. Is this something I should do?

Speaking of producers, I saw Broken Bells in concert this past weekend and Danger Mouse is one cool cat...played bass, keyboards, drums, and it all sounded great.

Just a sampling from his Wikipedia discography of people he's worked with/produced:

Tatu
Jennifer Lopez
Backstreet Boys
Colbie Caillat
Gavin Degraw
Leona Lewis
Beyonce
Carrie Underwood
Sean Paul
Ashley Tisdale
Kelly Clarkson
K'naan (hey, at least there's a Bono connection with this one)
Jennifer Hudson
Natasha Bedingfield
Jay-Z
Adam Lambert
Sugababes
Timbaland
Pussycat Dolls
Demi Lovato

And yes, I shamefully picked the most egregious examples. He has, admittedly, worked with a few "rock" acts, most notably Chris Cornell and The Fray.

At least Paul Epworth has more than just pop tarts on his resume:

Primal Scream
New Order
Gang of Four
Goldfrapp
Bloc Party
Florence and the Machine
Muse

Cherry picking again, but at least Epworth is a bit more varied.

Just a sampling from his Wikipedia discography of people he's worked with/produced:

Tatu
Jennifer Lopez
Backstreet Boys
Colbie Caillat
Gavin Degraw
Leona Lewis
Beyonce
Carrie Underwood
Sean Paul
Ashley Tisdale
Kelly Clarkson
K'naan (hey, at least there's a Bono connection with this one)
Jennifer Hudson
Natasha Bedingfield
Jay-Z
Adam Lambert
Sugababes
Timbaland
Pussycat Dolls
Demi Lovato

And yes, I shamefully picked the most egregious examples. He has, admittedly, worked with a few "rock" acts, most notably Chris Cornell and The Fray.

oh my....how can this be a good idea? Even that Epworth guy is steeped in the mainstream pop arena.

What's next? A duet with Taylor Swift?

oh my....how can this be a good idea? Even that Epworth guy is steeped in the mainstream pop arena.

What's next? A duet with Taylor Swift?

Am I the only one who actually likes One Republic's music? I agree some of it is mainstream pop, but there are quite a few good songs...

I was actually excited when I heard Ryan was working with the band.

Free-Form DJ Vin Scelsa and the CBGB's scene

wfuv is great. vin scelsa . The group harmony review. The kara manning show. They had echos on there at one point.

I think I've heard kara :) but my shedule varies;only relatively reccently have I gotten back to (remember &) listen to the station!

Vin Scelsa- one of the greatest free-form DJ's and story tellers real or fanciful IN the USA, if not the world!

He did colllege radio when he was in collage, too. :D He was a commercial DJ on 2 of the most high-powered NYC rock stations in the 70's - 90's maaaay be early oughts but by that time 00's I'd moved to the more southern burrough in nyc: so that when he was let go on commercial radio he went to FUV and I couldn't get the signal most tof the time for 9 yrs. Now that I'm back in the north of NYC I can again!

He often chaffed and got in trouble at times for bending & breaking The Playlist Rules as where he was in FM Commercial Radio (by late 60's the suits wanted to tightern up the PLs for $$ reasons) sometimes tighten their Playlists and even he at times wasn't quite as free-form , but other times the suits recognized his ff did attract a very loyal audience.

Back in the 70's & early-mid 80's thse are among the music artists he introduced to me:
The Neville Brothers, The Wikd Tchoupitoulas (Madri Gras Indian group), Steve Reich, The Roache Sister, and most imprtantly for u2: Teleivsion, Patti Smith Group, and The Ramones!

Vin helped & encourged some of the newer DJ's at WNEW-FM that also like the Punk/New Wave to also play that music. They did; and an audience outside of people near by (famous Art College & also NYU) went to check it out. It's possible that if they hadn't done that the CBGB's (and sometimes Max's Kansis City) scenes might not have florished as quickly sparking bands through the NE, and then rest of the USA> Plus influencing/sparking the English etc Punk scene etc or might have remained much more local, sputtered out (less to no play on radio). I really don't think it would have totally sputtered out as the was New York Rock & Punk Magazine to also carry the news. But it didn't here we are today with so many bands who florished/ later on were influnced by the original scene.

Just remeber Young NYc'rs and near-by and USA'r for those who love/d this stuff: Punk/New Wave started in NYC not Englnd.:wink:

:hmm: in fact I think I'll copy & take this post to Zoo Staion oops! :lol: Just The Bang and The C latter and ask others to wax poetic about their Fav radio DJ's. Even if the listening audiences are more scattered listening-wise. :(

Am I the only one who actually likes One Republic's music? I agree some of it is mainstream pop, but there are quite a few good songs...

I was actually excited when I heard Ryan was working with the band.

I'll freely admit that I've never heard OneRepublic except for maybe a couple songs on the radio. So I don't have anything against Ryan Tedder except for what he REPRESENTS--a desperate desire for "relevance," radio hits, a younger hip fanbase, etc. As I said in another thread, Tedder is the guy who should be looking to U2 for inspiration, not the other way around.

But who knows? Maybe he can do something magical with the band. I rather like the keyboard sounds that will.i.am contributed to "Magnificent." Then again, they're just a few keyboard sounds... they didn't invite will.i.am to produce entire songs...

I don't think that OneRepublic are a particularly bad band. In particular, I think that Counting Stars is a fabulous song.

That said, the idea that U2 are working with Tedder does scare me a bit, because it stinks of desperation.

I'll freely admit that I've never heard OneRepublic except for maybe a couple songs on the radio. So I don't have anything against Ryan Tedder except for what he REPRESENTS--a desperate desire for "relevance," radio hits, a younger hip fanbase, etc. As I said in another thread, Tedder is the guy who should be looking to U2 for inspiration, not the other way around.

But who knows? Maybe he can do something magical with the band. I rather like the keyboard sounds that will.i.am contributed to "Magnificent." Then again, they're just a few keyboard sounds... they didn't invite will.i.am to produce entire songs...

Valid point - Tedder should respect U2 (I suspect he does but I do not know that as fact).

Listen to some of these songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtdAo3ui3Ys&list=PL3614DA4E11D099E3

Like Marching On, esp. Waking Up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9-1PuFveyAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtdAo3ui3Ys&list=PL3614DA4E11D099E3) and tell me if you don't hear something that would relate to U2...? (jangly guitars anyone?)

I just think a collaboration would be very cool. imho.

Been listening to vin scelsa since 1999. He left wnew late 2000 and started on wufv in 2001. You can listen online too if you have any reception issues. He opened up so many ways of listening to music for me.

I'm a fan of OneRepublic, but seriously:

Tedder is the guy who should be looking to U2 for inspiration, not the other way around.

Couldn't have said that any better. He has looked to U2 for inspiration, and has produced some great material, but I'm cringing about the band having him onboard. :huh: I'm not that worried about Paul Epworth being involved.

Please U2 find happiness or break up. For your own sake.

I don't think that "Happiness" would be particularly helpful in the case of U2's ongoing dilemma, more the opposite. I think NOT being at peace with yourself can be a powerful force in your life as an artist. Most art comes from not finding peace or happiness. And I don't find Springsteen's recent output extremely exciting. I love Bruce, but I've been underwhelmed with his latest releases. He seems to have become an always touring presence and throws an album out regularly to release something and stay on the road. Though I love his live shows, I don't want U2 to go down that route and start releasing old stuff and fillers just to have an album ready.

Been listening to vin scelsa since 1999. He left wnew late 2000 and started on wufv in 2001. You can listen online too if you have any reception issues. He opened up so many ways of listening to music for me.

if you are posting to me specifically (maybe others) now that I'm where I am I can get FUV, Vin and the whole gang of music djs easily again! :happy:

but thanks for the heads up!
My computer's older system doesn't do much in Videos ( I can get ifs :lol: ) I've never tried to get streaming of anything- figuring my system wouldn't have the updated enough software for it either.

I can't upgrade for a few reasons yet. ah, well

Back
Top Bottom