New Album Discussion 9 - Larry needs new arms, ba rum pa pum pum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remember the pride clip had a small amount of the synth, but nothing of the solo, layered vocals etc. song on record was much more complete and polished. These will be more than just an acoustic guitar and Bono.

Surprised at the mixed reaction to Pride on here.

It's the sort of thing I'd have liked latter era U2 to do more, namely utilise Bono's lower register vocal more as opposed to just generic MOR cut and paste 'anthems' that litter that last two albums.

That restraint does them well, allows the music to breathe rather than the tune just being dominated by Bono.

Surprised at the mixed reaction to Pride on here.

It's the sort of thing I'd have liked latter era U2 to do more, namely utilise Bono's lower register vocal more as opposed to just generic MOR cut and paste 'anthems' that litter that last two albums.

That restraint does them well, allows the music to breathe rather than the tune just being dominated by Bono.

agreed. But listening to the clips, there are still a lot that Bono just needs to shut up on.

A good example of there being space to breathe is City of Blinding Lights, and what an effect it has!!
Most others, he seems to just be singing quite the same as the original, which sucks. I mean some of these are versions we've heard a lot, whether it be from a B stage or a Late Night show couch.

I know that there could be different sections of the songs where it changes up, so I admit I am prejudging a bit here.

But if the clips are true to the rest of song, then I feel like there is so much lost opportunity here. I'll just pick one at random....

I Will Follow. Come on?!?!
Shake it up, take out half the lyrics and just flip it on it's head. Not, some different instrumentation and the same pace and flow of the lyrics. It's frustrating.

Count me among those that aren’t really into Pride anymore, but I like this version more than I thought I would. Edge’s acoustic playing isn’t praised often, but he has his own unique feel and it really shines here.

The only thing I’d nitpick is I think the sparse parts are too sparse. I’d have liked to hear a slightly busier arrangement with a few more elements throughout, building to the solo and outro.

This will be ignored by most people who are not into U2. Look at it as a gift. They didn’t have to do this..

People complaining about Bono's voice? Bono Vox? Too much of the best singer of all time?

I love the music, but my favorite part of U2 is the lyrics and Bono's voice.

I think the reboot album should be thought of like this.

Movie Trailers Keep Tweaking Well-Known Songs. The Tactic Is Working.
Composers are increasingly in demand for trailerization — reworking existing tracks by artists including Kate Bush, Nirvana and Kendrick Lamar to maximize their impact in film and TV previews.

As a composer, Rosen is at the forefront of the trailerization movement: He’s in demand for his ability to rework existing songs to maximize their impact in trailers for films and TV shows.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/06/arts/music/trailer-music-trailerization.html

Basically if you've noticed to get your attention movie trailers use well known songs, but they don't use the same version as you've heard that before, so they remix is so it's different, darker, just enough to recognize it, so you'll keep watching and think, what is that song, I like it, and be drawn to the trailer...

I think the reboot album should be thought of like this.

Movie Trailers Keep Tweaking Well-Known Songs. The Tactic Is Working.
Composers are increasingly in demand for trailerization — reworking existing tracks by artists including Kate Bush, Nirvana and Kendrick Lamar to maximize their impact in film and TV previews.

As a composer, Rosen is at the forefront of the trailerization movement: He’s in demand for his ability to rework existing songs to maximize their impact in trailers for films and TV shows.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/06/arts/music/trailer-music-trailerization.html

Basically if you've noticed to get your attention movie trailers use well known songs, but they don't use the same version as you've heard that before, so they remix is so it's different, darker, just enough to recognize it, so you'll keep watching and think, what is that song, I like it, and be drawn to the trailer...

The Batman got me with their use of Nirvana in the trailer. The movie turned out to be awful unfortunately.

On the credits for the new version of Pride, I can see that someone named Raj Dangal is listed as a writer. Anyone know who he is or what his contribution to this version was?

On the credits for the new version of Pride, I can see that someone named Raj Dangal is listed as a writer. Anyone know who he is or what his contribution to this version was?

A 24 year old Indian composer and actor.

Maybe he told them to change it from early morning to evening... :wink:

Possibly there were more songs than Streets sent out to other artists to take a swing at...

Not happy we apparently won't get anything from No Line on this album, not even Moment. Maybe bonus tracks?

Perhaps the 12 tracks excluded from the memoir will be released as this years fan club gift?

How many tracks do you think they’ll drop before 17 March? Could be very traditional 3-4 - one every couple of weeks. But given there are 40, and they are all previously released songs, I wonder if they will drop more at a time / drop them more frequently to build a bit more interest.

Pride hasn’t really been pushed as a single - perhaps they will release something late next week and promote it as a single with some remixes? We heard that Streets was being prepped for remixes.

My personal hope is one from each of the four "albums"; dropped on a one-every-two-or-three-weeks cadence.

Maybe we can even get a themed track around each holiday...Lincoln's ghost on President's day in the U.S. , anyone? :lmao:

U2songs got a lot right about this release and the promotional campaign, but did get some major details wrong.

working with 2nd and 3rd hand sources is tricky - overall they're still very very good, and the best U2 fan site still out there when it comes to getting scoops - but everything should always come with a healthy heaping of salt

Back
Top Bottom