New Album Discussion 9 - Larry needs new arms, ba rum pa pum pum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cover art kinda… makes no sense. Did the twerps in charge of the merch work their way up to the album art concept dept?

i dunno it matches their look from the era

attachment.php

Attachments

• sos.jpg
    sos.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 179
Just enjoy some extra material while we wait for new stuff. It's easy.

Absolutely. But don't pretend that when fans are saying they don't want the lead single to be a rawk song, what they actually want is this. This is not U2 saying "aww shucks, we can't do anything right!" this is a "we're U2, we can do whatever the fuck we want."

Reading through moronic comments on Instagram is quite fun. People claiming they’ve “ruined” pride and that they “prefer” the old version.

Fuck me, people are dumb. If a new version of an old song ruins the old version for you, then that is 100% on you. How this version changes the old version is beyond me. That’s some magic shit going on right there. You prefer the old version - so do they probably. If you read the point of this as creating “better” or “definitive” versions of these songs, then again, 100% on you for not understanding basic things or having an ounce of logic in your brain.

you didn't need to go all the way to instagram...

I really like the ending.

I may be the only one who feels this way, but I actually prefer early-era U2 lyrics to the more recent ones. I know Bono has said he's a better lyricist now but I disagree with him. I liked the earlier "unfinished lyrics" where there was room for interpretation and many possible meanings. The later lyrics often feel a bit on the nose and "cute" for my taste.

While I'm glad for the correctio to evening, I didn't love the boy on washed on the beach, boy will never be kissed. It felt clunky to me. :shrug:

Agree with the critique of the cover art. Either have each of them from a different era or all from one, but three pop and one 80s is just weird.

I'm looking forward to the full album. I think I'll enjoy the atmospheric vibe. It's like covers of U2 but by U2.

It is ok to like this version of Pride.

It is also ok to not like this version of Pride.

I understand it's exciting to get new material from this band we love so much.

We are allowed to have discourse about it.

Absolutely. But don't pretend that when fans are saying they don't want the lead single to be a rawk song, what they actually want is this. This is not U2 saying "aww shucks, we can't do anything right!" this is a "we're U2, we can do whatever the fuck we want."

i mean... it's technically a lead single, so fine, but also, it's a redone version of an old song on an album of redone old songs, so not really a new single...

like - they're not putting this out because they hope it's going to chart.

It is ok to like this version of Pride.

It is also ok to not like this version of Pride.

I understand it's exciting to get new material from this band we love so much.

We are allowed to have discourse about it.

discourse on the song is fine and welcome!

"i can't believe this is what they put out for their first single back" discourse is kinda weird.

i mean... it's technically a lead single, so fine, but also, it's a redone version of an old song on an album of redone old songs, so not really a new single...

like - they're not putting this out because they hope it's going to chart.

I'm responding to someone else who claimed U2 couldn't win with this as a lead single. It literally does not matter beyond being a sneak peak at the album.

Yeah this version of Pride is very nice, I like how it ties back in to the original in the outtro..

When I first went on U2.com, the main site, there was a little blurb about a 2 LP "crystal clear" vinyl version being available for the first 48 hours for U2.com subscribers only... but then when I went back in to the store, I don't see it as an option..

Anyone else saw that?

:hmm:

Yeah this version of Pride is very nice, I like how it ties back in to the original in the outtro..

When I first went on U2.com, the main site, there was a little blurb about a 2 LP "crystal clear" vinyl version being available for the first 48 hours for U2.com subscribers only... but then when I went back in to the store, I don't see it as an option..

Anyone else saw that?

yes that rings a bell.

also, no mention of this weird green casette in the format listing:
Songs Of Surrender is available in the following formats:
Full 40 track Digital
40 track 4 CD Super Deluxe Hardback Collector’s Edition;
40 track 4 LP Super Deluxe Hardback Collector’s Boxset;
20 track deluxe CD;
16 track 180 gram black vinyl;
16 track standard CD;
and 16 track classic white cassette.

large.jpg

Don’t see the single on the US ITUNES store yet, guessing tomorrow? If anyone sees it out, please let us know, thx!!

I searched up U2 songs of surrender and each individual track came up

Attachments

• IMG_5210.JPG
    IMG_5210.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 41

Anyone else saw that?

Yip, I saw it on there, earlier as part of a bundle with a cassette. It’s gone now though.

Looks like the limited coloured vinyls have sold out now too.

Anyone else saw that?

There’s a link in the email u2.com sent.

So not too bad of a version, especially the last part of it. Kinda cool.

As a side project to whet our appetites until a new album arrives, hey, it’s better than nothing at all.

I still probably won’t listen to it a ton, but that’s ok.

You must listen to these 40 rebooted songs. You must SURRENDER.

My guess for everyone's favorite song off this album will be the Defiant Jazz version of One Tree Hill.

Had about 3 or 4 listens.

Initial thoughts are: Interesting arrangement. I like it quite a lot. Bono almost took it too low in the verses; like a lullaby voice. I don't know if they're claiming it's all brand new, but that last Bono vocal on the end has to be ripped from the original, no?

Favorite part is that The Edge being the main producer on this already feels like he said "Screw it. I'm singing more on this thing because I get to say what goes".

Can't wait to hear more!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom