New Album Discussion 9 - Larry needs new arms, ba rum pa pum pum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I ordered the super deluxe CD as I can play it in the car. Let's see what arrives first, the SOS CD due for 3/17 release or the 2022 subscriber gift CD.

Ha, 25% discount code that I hadn't used from 2022 renewal worked.

Nice tip!

Unfortunately....

The cheapest shipping option for the 4LP boxset in the UK is £25!!! Which is basically the discount. So I think I'm going to order from somewhere else.

I don't have to time to listen to the snippets again, but what songs so far do we know are NOT acoustic from the little bits we heard?

"I'm not going to order the vinyl. That's expensive and dumb. Even with the 25% discount."

*waits 10 minutes*

*Orders super deluxe set because I'm weak.*

Steve Averill must be on vacation, this is giving off serious “GrApHiC dEsIgN iS mY pAsSiOn” vibes.

“Eahhm, I think it’s fair to say, that we’re goin’ back to our Best of 80-90 Helvetica roots..”

Attachments

• 2A0472DA-597F-4974-8568-4B21C418636D.jpeg
    2A0472DA-597F-4974-8568-4B21C418636D.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 33
I just don't get this. A muted version of Pride to start off an album that'll only really be knowingly consumed by hardcore fans? I'd rather have 100 American Souls than this.

I'm excited for this year in U2, but everything I know about SoS seems to indicated the embodiment of my least favorite things about U2.

I quite like that version of Pride, but I thought there might be something more uptempo as the lead single, although who knows what makes a good lead-off “single” these days given how the music industry works now.

i have no issues with a mid-tempo song coming first because, as has been said a few times here or in other threads - hey, it's okay to be old.

it's also instantly recognizable as U2, while at the same time recognizable as something different.

and, yea, it's MLK Day on Monday. i would not be shocked in the least to see this version pop up on broadcast television as part of, i dunno, something - a sportsball game, a commercial attached to some charitable thing, who the hell knows.

Pride is good. Exactly what I expected - lots going on that isn’t just acoustic, but nothing that’s an enormous departure either. Really like the outro. I also really love the guitar sound marrying with the piano. I can do an album of this vibe, totally.

My gripe? The store. They have FINALLY added an Australian store so I don’t have to pay as much in postage as I do for the items I’m buying, or wait a month for postage. BUT! After subscribing for how many years - 10? 15? - I have used ONE discount code and 3 pre sale codes in that time - you can’t add the discount codes in the Australian store. It’s fulfilled by universal. The actual fuck.

Pains me to say this but SOS is going to be the first U2 album I don’t buy. I’m not spending $50 or whatever the fuck it’s going to be to have all 40 tracks. I’m sure the packaging will be nice, but it’s something I’m going to play very rarely and hence not worth the money for me. I didn’t buy the recent JT set either for the same reason, as I already had the 20th anniversary box.

They’ve got enough of my disposable income. Thank god for t0rr3nts.

Reading through moronic comments on Instagram is quite fun. People claiming they’ve “ruined” pride and that they “prefer” the old version.

Fuck me, people are dumb. If a new version of an old song ruins the old version for you, then that is 100% on you. How this version changes the old version is beyond me. That’s some magic shit going on right there. You prefer the old version - so do they probably. If you read the point of this as creating “better” or “definitive” versions of these songs, then again, 100% on you for not understanding basic things or having an ounce of logic in your brain.

Back
Top Bottom