New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tip. I’m in nyc. Walking around. Headphones on. Songs come on and it takes me a minute to realize what it is. Great way to hear songs without knowing what is plying next. I guess shuffle helps too.

So don’t read what song is on. Just play.

Loving it just like I already was.

rather than stars or letter grades, here is my five-tier rating system:

I like this and will purchase
11 O’Clock
The Fly
Two Hearts Beat As One
The Little Things

Some good/interesting moments but not worth sitting through the rest of the moments again just to hear the good/interesting ones again
Pride
Ordinary Love
Desire
Peace On Earth
Lights Of Home

Neither good nor interesting
One
Stories For Boys
Every Breaking Wave
Stuck in a Moment
SICKAMIYOYO
Bad
(Wow this slow acoustic guitar is really) Out Of Control
Wild Horses
Dirty Day
Electrical Storm
Until The End Of The World
Song For Someone
Cedarwood Road

Ear rape
Streets
ISHFWILF
Beautiful Day
City of Blinding Lights
Invisible
Get Out Of Your Own Way
Red Hill Mining Town
If God Will Send His Angels
All I Want Is You
WOWY
Stay
Sunday Bloody Sunday
I Will Follow

Ear rape with no Vaseline
Walk On
Joey Ramone
Vertigo
Miracle Drug

Last edited:
Yes. Happy U2 release day/St Patricks Day. Listened to a few tracks late last night and was blown away at the vocals and production. Most of these songs sound brand new/fresh. Was not expecting this. Way to go U2 (Edge).

Got really teary eyed during 'If God Will Send His Angels'. Its been a long time since they've acknowledged POP and I wasn't expected to sound that good. My 19 year old said hi to my 45 year old self now haha

Enjoy everyone & be proud of U2 releasing the most interesting greatest hits album by a band :)

POP is the album I listen to the most. It has grown more important to me every year and means much more to this 47 year old than it did 25 years ago.

Angels is probably my second to least fave on POP, but this is a great redo. more emotional, the production across the board on most of these songs is a real victory, I think Bob Ezrin was key in this. The piano outro on Angels is sublime.

I have to say, given all the lyrics that are rewritten that didn't need to be, I'm kind of disappointed that freedom still smells like a newborn baby's head and the air is still heavy as a truck.

Setlist:

"Beautiful Day"
"In a Little While"
"Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"
"Walk On"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/best-albums-week-u2-100-gecs-black-honey/

U2 surrender to the passing of time, 100 gecs run amok – the week’s best albums
Bono and the gang get introspective, hyperpop duo 100 gecs refuse to follow the rules, Black Honey deliver a pleasing sugar-high

By
Neil McCormick,
MUSIC CRITIC ;
Nick Ruskell and
Cat Woods
17 March 2023 • 4:13pm

U2, Songs of Surrender ★★★★☆
Are U2 ready to wave the white flag and give up bragging rights to be the greatest rock band in the world? The Irish quartet have been a vital force for over 40 years, from sparky new wave crusaders to imperial giants of sci-fi stadium rock. But here they are, all in their 60s, breaking out acoustic guitars, dropping keys and tempos for Songs of Surrender, an album where even the initials might imply a cry for help.

SOS is billed as U2’s 15th studio album, yet does not actually feature any new songs. Rather, it is made up of re-recorded (or in marketing parlance “re-imagined”) versions of 40 tracks spanning U2’s career, a mixture of hits and signature anthems (Pride, One, Beautiful Day, Vertigo) with off-beat selections including a beautifully sombre reading of 1995 ballad If God Will Send His Angels and 2014’s The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) revitalized with a jazzy swing built for cocktail bars rather than stadiums.

Age catches up with everybody in the end, even leather-trousered rock stars. Sixty-two-year-old frontman Bono’s recent autobiography was also titled Surrender, and opened with an account of heart surgery that saved his life in 2016. Stripped down for voice and cello, Dirty Day from 1993’s Zooropa becomes a cracked rumination on mortality, so that when Bono whispers about how “days run away like horses over the hill” you wonder if he is reflecting on his own shrinking horizons?

Back when the song was composed, Bono was 34 and addressing his own distant father. Thirty years on, Bono himself might embody that father figure fretting about the passage of time, while his own son, Eli Hewson, leads out thrilling young rock combo Inhaler. “You can hold onto something so tight, you’ve already lost it,” Bono growls. It is such altered perspectives that make this measured, inventive, introspective collection so compelling, as U2 turn their own songs inside out in search of new nuances and meanings.

SOS was conjured up during pandemic lockdown by the band’s gifted multi-instrumentalist The Edge. Erasing the muscular power of an amplified rock combo, Edge explores ways to let other elements shine. In particular, the focus is on Bono’s older yet still powerful voice, devoid of posturing and mannerisms, really digging into meaning and melody. The subtle rumble of Adam Clayton’s bass and tastefully executed percussion from Larry Mullen Jr make themselves felt in all the right places, with full band arrangements breathing new life into a smattering of undernourished songs, including a brass band version of 1998’ Red Hill Mining Town (my edit: obv a typo as Neil McCormick will surely know this date is wrong) and an REM-ish strum through 1991’s Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

Casual listeners might question the point of U2 without Edge’s guitar attack and Bono’s roof-raising roar? The answer, I suspect, has a lot to do with the way we listen to music now, in streaming playlists to suit different moods. SOS attempts to meet today’s listeners where they are by offering the option of U2 chill out. Should you hanker for the impact of a fearsome rock band in full flight, well, the original recordings still exist in all their glory.

Nevertheless, in our youth-centric pop culture, unplugging could be depicted as a defeat. But then you hear Bono’s tender delivery of 2004’s Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own, really landing this overlooked lament for a deceased parent with one of the most moving vocals of his career. Done so thoughtfully, such surrender to the imperatives of age might better be considered an act of grace.

Neil McCormick

Last edited:
There are some nice moments on this album. I stand by my previous comments about some of Bono's vocal takes (I'm not one of the ones saying his voice is shot, just saying some of these vocal takes could have been better, which is a complement to Bono). Grasping the album concept more clearly now, I'm questioning the song choices. Like...why isn't a contemplative version of Yahweh on this compilation? Why not an ethereal version of Heartland with reworked lyrics to capture current day politic divide in America? Why not a reworked lyrical sequel to Walk To The Water to let us know what happened between the billboard painter and the blonde woman who wore canvas shoes?

I have to say, given all the lyrics that are rewritten that didn't need to be, I'm kind of disappointed that freedom still smells like a newborn baby's head and the air is still heavy as a truck.

Hear hear. Also, LEAVE JOEY RAMONE ALONE. (Seriously, the original lyrics were perfect as-is)

Not had a chance to listen straight through,but highlights are The Fly and Little Things. Both stunning,really enjoying what I have heard so far. Even GOOYOW!

There are some nice moments on this album. I stand by my previous comments about some of Bono's vocal takes (I'm not one of the ones saying his voice is shot, just saying some of these vocal takes could have been better, which is a complement to Bono). Grasping the album concept more clearly now, I'm questioning the song choices. Like...why isn't a contemplative version of Yahweh on this compilation? Why not an ethereal version of Heartland with reworked lyrics to capture current day politic divide in America? Why not a reworked lyrical sequel to Walk To The Water to let us know what happened between the billboard painter and the blonde woman who wore canvas shoes?

White canvas shoes

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a43328454/u2-songs-of-surrender-review/

Songs of Surrender Puts U2's Songwriting Legacy on the Line
With their first release in six years, Ireland's Finest reinterpret forty (!) songs from their catalog—a big swing from a group that’s never been afraid to take big swings.

By Alan Light
PUBLISHED: MAR 17, 2023

It has been said that you can measure the greatness of a song if it holds up accompanied by just a guitar or a piano. Which is true to a point—but also plays into the idea that music production is somehow cheating, that sonic treatments are there to cover up flaws, not serve as actual compositional tools.

If there’s one band whose body of work challenges this rule completely, though, it’s U2, who have always been defined by the totality of their expansive, atmospheric sound more than just their words and notes on a page. Consider the scene in the 2008 guitar documentary It Might Get Loud, when The Edge switches off all his pedals and effects—the rig that Bono once described to me as looking “like Cape Canaveral”—to show that the swaggering introduction to “Elevation” is actually just him plinking two simple chords.

But with their new collection Songs of Surrender, their first release in six years, Ireland’s Finest are taking that plunge, reinterpreting forty songs from their catalog with new arrangements that are mostly intimate and acoustic, and frequently replacing Edge’s electric arsenal with quiet keyboards. Inevitably, it’s a bit hit-or-miss, and likely not essential for those who aren’t superfans, but there are many pleasures and discoveries to be found.

There’s a grand tradition of rock stars stripping down or reworking their material, from Elvis in the boxing ring on the “comeback special” to the MTV Unplugged series to pretty much every time Bob Dylan steps on stage. But this sprawling set represents a big swing from a group that’s never been afraid to take big swings—a grand statement about a Hall of Fame band’s songwriting legacy. (Songs from almost all fourteen of their albums are included; nothing from 1981’s October or 2009’s No Line on the Horizon made the cut.)

It’s also part of a multi-year phase during which U2, which spent decades insistently focused on the future, has been looking back: They did a massive tour performing 1987’s The Joshua Tree album in full in 2017 and 2019, will soon be opening the new Sphere venue in Las Vegas with a show built around 1991’s Achtung Baby, and Bono recently published a best-selling memoir.

A confusing note: That book is titled Surrender and consists of forty chapters, each named for a U2 song, so one might reasonably expect that Songs of Surrender would contain those same forty songs. Not the case. Instead, a dozen of the selections differ. On the other hand, the first song of the package is “One” and the fortieth is “40”—well played, boys.

Songs of Surrender (which follows 2014’s Songs of Innocence and 2017’s Songs of Experience) was Edge’s lockdown project, and he’s the album’s primary producer, with assists from a few other folks, most notably Bob Ezrin, whose credits include KISS, Alice Cooper, and Pink Floyd’s The Wall. He took the task seriously, crafting thoughtful new ways into these compositions, not just campfire singalongs. In the liner notes, the guitarist writes that he wanted to explore the question of “what happens when a voice develops new tonalities as experience and maturity give it additional resonance?” and found that “what started out as an experiment quickly developed into a personal obsession.”

The new arrangements are sonically transformed but not structurally radical; the melodies remain pretty much intact, and the songs are all quickly identifiable. “Get Out of Your Own Way” adds a charmingly knockabout groove, while “Two Hearts Beat As One” (one of four songs featuring Edge as lead singer) gets lightly disco-fied. The more ambitious treatments sometimes feel like they’re trying to do too much: “The Fly,” with a bridge taking an almost Indian tinge, loses the frantic humor of the original, and “Vertigo” swaps the gleeful attack of its guitar riff for a jabbing cello part.

Mostly, though, Songs of Surrender takes things slower and more introspective, reducing the scope, tightening the focus. The songs’ familiar dynamics are often recreated in miniature; “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” originally centered on Larry Mullen, Jr.’s martial drumbeat, has no percussion at all, allowing the tragic events described in the lyrics to ring more clearly. “Beautiful Day” replaces soaring aspiration with a knowing murmur—it’s also one of several songs with revised lyrics; “Walk On” is updated for the Ukrainian struggle.

If the changes in Bono’s voice were a driving force in this project, the results are truly stunning. His vocals have been known to feel like one element in their swirling mix, but here there’s nowhere to hide, and the range and ease of his delivery is impressive throughout, slipping up into his higher register on a gorgeous “Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Or” or ducking and diving through “Electrical Storm.”

The Edge has said that Songs of Surrender was made with the awareness that most people listen through earbuds now, which is a telling explanation of the trade-off being made on Songs of Surrender. The communal experience offered by U2’s greatest anthems is replaced with something more personal, more individual. The momentum and release and exhilaration they define at their best becomes instead something that’s alternately lovely and flat, revelatory and redundant. Towards the end of the new version of “City of Blinding Lights,” an electric guitar figure chimes out and suddenly, briefly comes the rush of hearing a U2 song.

Are any of these recordings “better” than the originals? That’s really for each listener to decide—there’s too much history, too many emotions tied up in our relationships to these songs. It’s obvious to say that the earliest and latest material benefits more than the big hits, since most of us are less invested in them, and because the underwhelming response to U2’s last few albums means there are still gems to uncover (“Cedarwood Road” is certainly a keeper, though “The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)” is an improved arrangement of a still-uninteresting song). Also, forty songs is an awful lot to swim through, as Adam Clayton indicated in a recent interview, saying “something that may have been maybe better conceived as 15 or 20 songs started to mushroom into these 40 tunes.” (There is a 16-track version on vinyl, and a 20-track CD.)

It's unprecedented—a miracle, even—that the line-up of U2 has stayed intact into its fifth decade, that it really is the same four guys who met in high school still making music together. The final words on Songs of Surrender, the lyrics from “40” that have closed countless U2 concerts, are “How long to sing this song?” Even if this project is just a way for the band to reappraise its work and recharge its creative batteries, let’s hope that it keeps these songs going, longer and longer.

So is the new song 40 Foot Man going to be anything other than a song written for Letterman and only used for the Disney special?

If you’re not listening to this in the highest res possible, you’re missing out on the warmth and resonance in this production.

Just got notification that my order from U2.com has been delivered to my house (after getting notice this morning it was arriving on 3/20), so kudos to them for getting it delivered on release date. First timely thing that website has accomplished.

The best thing about 40 tracks is its a selection box. Inevitably hit and miss so not going into it with the expectation of masterpieces for all.

All I can say is, regardless of what I think of the other songs (and I've yet to listen to it), the Stories For Boys rendition that I've just heard is worth the entire package alone.

Simply stunning. A haunting and elegiac tone that I've craved from them for years and that haven't heard from U2 in decades.

When was the Tiny Desk performance recorded? Very surprised to see the audience all wearing masks.

So is the new song 40 Foot Man going to be anything other than a song written for Letterman and only used for the Disney special?
I'm just hoping someone makes an audio file of it, at least. I like at as a direction, but it isn't an unreasonable guitar song, so it'll probably be shelved.

Back
Top Bottom