New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep. They really opened themselves up to the criticism re not being as good as original versions by releasing all the untouchable songs first. When I get some time today I’ll look at the existing 11 o’clock clips because I think they will NEARLY knit together. It’s funny because after the audiobook clips, it didn’t excite me at all, but now hearing the falsetto but I think it sounds amazing.

I’m guessing they did this in the hope of reaching the more casual fans and getting “airplay”, whatever that means these days.

If anyone goes into this with the perspective of considering it to the original version, then you might as well not listen at all. These are new versions, not meant to be better than the original. If you can take away even half of the 40 songs and say "oh wow I dig what they did here, I might listen to this version as a good alternate", then the album did it's job.

If anyone goes into this with the perspective of considering it to the original version, then you might as well not listen at all. These are new versions, not meant to be better than the original. If you can take away even half of the 40 songs and say "oh wow I dig what they did here, I might listen to this version as a good alternate", then the album did it's job.
This right here

Whoops. Auto correct. Meant "comparing" in the first sentence.

Stop speaking logically. This is Interference.

After digesting all these clips, and feeling like I’m getting more of a grip on this project I’ve changed my mind on One. It’s actually beautiful. There’s this feeling that simple is bad, or it exposes Bono’s voice. I have been craving vulnerability and realism from this band, and they are giving it to us. Also - there is SO MUCH more going on underneath this. Fuck the haters.

You may not actually like how it sounds, but I really loathe the histrionics on social media - the fans are going to scare them back into self doubt and delays and over production.

Last edited:
After digesting all these clips, and feeling like I’m getting more of a grip on this project I’ve changed my mind on One. It’s actually beautiful. There’s this feeling that simple is bad, or it exposes Bono’s voice. I have been craving vulnerability and realism from this band, and they are giving it to us. Also - there is SO MUCH more going on underneath this. Fuck the haters.

You may not actually like how it sounds, but I really loathe the histrionics on social media - the fans are going to scare them back into self doubt and delays and over production.

It occurs to me that the 'ethos' of these reimagined songs could be an insight into the sound of next album.

By that I don't mean anything acoustic or restrained - likely the opposite - but the really raw, 'less is more' approach to production.

There have been a few quotes now about the next album being raw, just the sound of 4 musicians, and minimal production bells and whistles - approximating 60's/70's rock production. I reckon SoS is a preview of that approach, albeit 'road tested' with acoustic arrangements.

If they were bold enough to put out deliberately unpolished music with SoS, then that could bode well for a genuinely raw new album, free of overproduction.

reviews are starting to come in... and they echo the fan forums and facebook groups.

just kidding - the reviews area actually quite positive.

332317172_1070097447253061_459562030850608756_n.jpg

331727134_749002663362108_48250345223531183_n.jpg

Last edited:
https://uk.style.yahoo.com/adam-clayton-says-u2-plan-080000681.html

Adam told MOJO magazine: "We are turning the amps on. I certainly think the rock that we all grew up with as 16- and 17-year-olds, that rawness of those Patti Smith, Iggy Pop records... that kind of power is something we would love to connect back into."

I really hope this is true.

also, Bono has said a lot of stupid shit in his day, but this infuriates me the most.

"We all make mistakes. The progressive-rock virus gets in, and we needed a vaccine. The discipline of our songwriting, the thing that made U2 - top-line melody, clear thoughts - had gone."

I really hope this is true.

also, Bono has said a lot of stupid shit in his day, but this infuriates me the most.

"We all make mistakes. The progressive-rock virus gets in, and we needed a vaccine. The discipline of our songwriting, the thing that made U2 - top-line melody, clear thoughts - had gone."

Agree with you…tho it’s odd to argue with the guy who came up with the songs haha

I always took U2 wrote songs by accident. Lots of noodling around in the studio. A riff, guitar or bass, Bono singing / rambling until something stuck

It’s what drove producers mad

Since their dive into Broadway, their songwriting has become way more slick. They are very good at coming up with a catchy pop song, but i feel the sacrifice has been guitar riffs that drove the songs, and a kinda wandering spirit to Bono’s lyrics and singing.

Now it’s clean cut and to the point.

Some of us would love U2 to get reinfected with the prog rock virus ;)

Agree with you…tho it’s odd to argue with the guy who came up with the songs haha

I always took U2 wrote songs by accident. Lots of noodling around in the studio. A riff, guitar or bass, Bono singing / rambling until something stuck

It’s what drove producers mad

Since their dive into Broadway, their songwriting has become way more slick. They are very good at coming up with a catchy pop song, but i feel the sacrifice has been guitar riffs that drove the songs, and a kinda wandering spirit to Bono’s lyrics and singing.

Now it’s clean cut and to the point.

Some of us would love U2 to get reinfected with the prog rock virus ;)

Less direct, more evocative. They touched on that in the best parts of NLOTH (which wasn’t a prog record, I don’t care what he says). Hell, even the most direct moments of the 90s trilogy were more about revealing something than the dreaded B-platitudes we’ve been subjected to since.

Record a quick and dirty "rock/punk" album and release it alongside Songs of Ascent, see what the reception is. Then you have lots of options for the tour next year.

What's the word on the street (as the cool kids say) anyway, has Larry already has his surgery and is in recovery now?

Someone on the U2 forum mentioned something cryptic about a recent photo released showing him drumming, but it looks like only the members of the secret Uber-fan private group got to see it or even know what on earth they were talking about.

100% expecting the rock album to also be in the "Songs of..." family. As played-out as that moniker is now, I really think they have this idea it's their grand final story-arc that'll be capped-off by Songs of Ascent.

"Songs of Liquid Hot Magma" in 2024
"Songs of Ascent" in 2026/27
followed by a period of semi-retirement before they get the Rolling Stones-style itch to get back on the road every couple years for more album retrospect tours (ATYCLB 30 in 30, anyone?)

Back
Top Bottom