New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was pretty good (other than Valentine)

I don't mind Valentine. Nothing great lyrically but music is good. If You're Gonna Break My Heart on the other hand...

Stand outs on 1st listen for me were When I Have Her on My Mind, Now You Got Me & Dublin in Ecstasy.
Looking forward to hearing them live in a month.

Last edited:
One the latest classic to be butchered.

Atrocious stuff.

So … I agree, it’s not as good, but to say “butchered” — it’s not like there aren’t a million and one other versions out there, including the original, for you to listen to.

No one has to like anything, but they aren’t taking anything away from you. It’s just another version.

Very cool site, thank you for sharing.

Also, I am of the opinion that U2s music catalog is far superior than Radiohead(obviously I'm bias since I'm a member of a U2 fan site for nearly 20 years)and are much bigger and yet the fact that they are not vastly more popular in streaming services and are actually less popular is stunning to me.

Either I am out of touch or U2s management team is completely and utterly incompetent. I imagine it's a bit of both but primarily their management (since 2014) is just a clown show.

There are really so many strange decisions the band has made over the years that I feel they have left a lot of "opportunity" on the table.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that link.

I just listened to One. Didn’t realize it was out.

Wow that sucks. I kind of liked where it was going and then the ending was sad and anticlimactic.

One the latest classic to be butchered.

Atrocious stuff.

So … I agree, it’s not as good, but to say “butchered” — it’s not like there aren’t a million and one other versions out there, including the original, for you to listen to.

No one has to like anything, but they aren’t taking anything away from you. It’s just another version.

I don't mind Valentine. Nothing great lyrically but music is good. If You're Gonna Break My Heart on the other hand...

Stand outs on 1st listen for me were When I Have Her on My Mind, Now You Got Me & Dublin in Ecstasy.
Looking forward to hearing them live in a month.

Valentine is my least favourite, but agree it’s not awful, just a bit saccharine compared with the rest of the album.

Those three are standouts for me too. Perfect Storm and So Far So Good as well. I think it’s more of a grower than the first one. I have listened through a couple of times now and enjoying songs that didn’t grab me at first. Bass playing the hero for sure. It’s really precise, impactful and it drives everything along.

Y’know, I finally had time to sit with the three songs they’ve released and give a few uninterrupted listens on headphones and decided they’re… fine?

Inoffensive, somewhat interesting key changes. Nice to hear Edge’s vocals up front in parts, and Bono not hiding behind reverb. Agree on the idea that they cut off just as they’re getting going.

Bono sounds less shot than just.. relaxed. Not that he is disengaged, but he isn’t soaring *or* reaching for the cheap seats. Maybe that’s not how we want our rock stars. I suppose the problem is that the approach isn’t exactly playing to the song’s strengths. These three songs are big ones - big emotions, big sound. Whereas something like Cedars or Velvet Dress, the intimacy is the right choice.

So I’m not calling doom and gloom, but we may just shrug it off as an inessential piece of the catalog. Which is completely fine. Because it’s not essential. And I’m sorta relieved they’re not treating it as the second coming like they do for every other album release. (Or residency)

Last edited:
I just had time to listen to the 3 SOS songs and my takeaway is

FUCK RADIOHEAD.

You’re right.

- Bono’s voice is shot
- cash grab
- they’re done
- I don’t like these songs
- it’s not u2 without Larry.

Better?

south-park-bono.gif

I've listened to One a couple of times now since I first gave it a listen last night, and honestly, I don't find it too bad at all. I really don't think Bono's voice sounds bad or "shot" at all. If anything, I think it's some of his vocal phrasing--if that's the right word-- that I'm not a fan of. It feels a bit affected to me. Like when he "talk sings" carry each other.

What I'm reminded of listening to One is what a great song it is, lyrically. Probably has to be one of the best Bono's ever written. He hit that one out of the park.

I don't like that this is the third song in a row that comes to sudden end, just when it is taking it off. Like the others, it feels truncated.

Overall, I like Pride the most--I keep hearing it in my mind after I listen to it, and that doesn't happen with the others. One is second, and WOWY is a distant third. I really don't connect with that re-recording at all.

All 3 songs are a total massacre, barely listenable to my ears. Emotionless versions that are so below the original songs. The only positive thing is that SOS will be so bad that we won t hear much about it. :reject:

I've listened to One a couple of times now since I first gave it a listen last night, and honestly, I don't find it too bad at all. I really don't think Bono's voice sounds bad or "shot" at all. If anything, I think it's some of his vocal phrasing--if that's the right word-- that I'm not a fan of. It feels a bit affected to me. Like when he "talk sings" carry each other..

yeah I agree. I dont think it sounds shot. I'm not a vocal expert of course. Mind you, I'm guessing no one here is.

Seems like he's making some different vocal choices, if that makes sense. Singing his vowels a little more "accurately", than in the past? singing OOOs, AAAs, EEEEs, IIIIIs, as opposed to how he used to sing.

Back
Top Bottom