NBA Playoffs 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MLB has always had the best all star game, closest to the actual product. NBA used to be watchable, not anymore.
NHL this year made for an interesting watch, much better than the recent product has been.

Curry is unbelievable. that was a such a fun game to watch. I hope OKC and GS face each other in the playoffs

Can we just skip the rest of the season and go straight to the Western Conference Finals? And then skip the NBA Finals, cause, seriously.

NBA should abandon conferences as far as playoffs are concerned. The world deserves a Warriors / Spurs NBA Finals.

Abso fucking lutely. ?

It reminds me of early 90's football. The NFC championship game was really THE game.

ojtrav.gif

I agree with the Celtics-GS matchup sounding nice. Of the few non-Heat games I've watched, those have been interesting.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see the Heat and the Celtics go at it again. Or LeBron vs. the Heat.

Hinkie getting forced out is only like the third most frustrating part of this, because I can at least see the argument that he's not the guy. Embiid was a risk, Okafor and MCW were straight-up misses, and he's struggled even with the more marginal stuff like with Ish Smith and nearly with Robert Covington. You can make a case against him.

But to a) force him out in such an oblivious way, b) to not even attempt a real GM search and instead let your chairman-in-name-only out in Arizona whilst still mostly retired just bring his twice-fired son in to do the job, and c) not have the conviction to see the plan through the 2016 draft is just so demoralizing. We thought maybe these guys were different than other owners. They're not; they're just as bad as any other hedge fund manager group. They'll sell the team once Colangelo's thrown a max deal at fucking Bradley Beal or Max Schroder to pair with fucking Buddy Hield in the third pick or something. Yay.

I'd hope they don't give Beal or anyone like that a max. Giving good players great-player money in an effort to not be terrible is not a strategy that has ever worked in any meaningful way. It is not the gameplan of teams that want to win. It is the gameplan of teams that want to make the playoffs and get eliminated in the first or second round so they can bring in a round or two of playoff revenue.

If they give multiple max deals out to good-but-not-great players they're going to be right back to where they were with the Iggy-Jrue-Thad-Lou-Brand teams, which is a place your current ownership claims to not want to be.

I know people don't like tanking, but it's the way the system is built, and until that changes, you can't blame teams for going all-in on that strategy. The fact is that Philly has had some bad luck with the ping-pong balls. #3 twice in a row drafts where Wiggins and Towns were the #1s. You get just one of those guys, you're having a different conversation right now. Meanwhile Minny gets to have both of them. It's unfortunate for Philly.

But nonetheless you need a #1 option in this league and save for a few teams that are adept at pulling in star FAs, the draft is the way to get one. Unless Kevin Durant loses his mind and picks Philly over the many better options he has, Philly doesn't have a choice but to keep tanking if they want to eventually be a contender.

They should maybe move Okafor and Noel while they still have some value though. Embiid seems to getting close to finally being able to play, so they should probably see what they have in him before making any decisions about him.

Here's the thing I don't get... you are all in with the "process" and the "long view" but have given up on Okafor after one season.

Hinkie got some things right... in the NBA you usually have to get bad in order to get good. But everyone knows that, and his taking it to the extreme has actually been a detriment to the development of his young talent. I don't think anyone can deny that surrounding Wiggins and Towns with veterans has been a success. Minnesota still has a lottery pick and cap flexibility, and are light years further along in their process.

Here's the thing I don't get... you are all in with the "process" and the "long view" but have given up on Okafor after one season.

Hinkie got some things right... in the NBA you usually have to get bad in order to get good. But everyone knows that, and his taking it to the extreme has actually been a detriment to the development of his young talent. I don't think anyone can deny that surrounding Wiggins and Towns with veterans has been a success. Minnesota still has a lottery pick and cap flexibility, and are light years further along in their process.
I gave up on Okafor before he was in the NBA. His skillset isn't for the modern NBA. He's going to put up points wherever he's at and that's it.

Which is why I hated the pick so much. Not only was he not a fit, but he wasn't the best player available either. It showed a lack of scouting ability. The only thing he really gave you was immediate impact whereas some of the other guys who clearly have higher ceilings were more projects than he was.

Last edited:
Woj with some Philly stuff...

Jerry Colangelo wanted Sam Hinkie to be marginalized to a role as "glorified director of analytics" or run him out of the Philadelphia 76ers altogether.

Colangelo constantly lamented the absence of what he termed “real basketball people” in the organization.

Hinkie always received support from at least part of the 76ers' ownership group.

"Hinkie was mortified to see his words in the public arena, never expecting that a private correspondence to his superiors would become public and turn into something of a mocked manifesto," writes Wojnarowski.

Hinkie's strong suspicion is Jerry Colangelo leaked the document to the press.

Hinkie often explained himself to ownership in letters and reports.

Jerry Colangelo recused himself from the Philadelphia 76ers' search for a general manager to work with Sam Hinkie and would have been fine with Danny Ferry over his son, Bryan Colangelo.

Bryan Colangelo badly wanted to be hired by the Brooklyn Nets and never wanted the 76ers' job. Bryan Colangelo wanted to avoid working in the shadow of his father amid claims of nepotism.

But the 76ers' ownership convinced Bryan Colangelo he was the best candidate available.

Colangelo has had success with both the Phoenix Suns and Toronto Raptors.

I gave up on Okafor before he was in the NBA. His skillset isn't for the modern NBA. He's going to put up points wherever he's at and that's it.

Which is why I hated the pick so much. Not only was he not a fit, but he wasn't the best player available either. It showed a lack of scouting ability. The only thing he really gave you was immediate impact whereas some of the other guys who clearly have higher ceilings were more projects than he was.

If we're speaking only about advanced analytics, his numbers were very comparable to Porzingis, while playing on a considerably worse team, which is saying something cause the Knicks blow.

I think the key point is that you gave up on him before the draft. And for the life of me I don't get at all how Okafor doesn't fit the modern NBA but somehow a healthy Embiid's game does? Makes no sense... They're both back to the basket players. If anything Okafor is a better mid range shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom