NBA Basketball 2009-10: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
caught the fifth game on replay last night.

fucking unbelievable final term.

i also discovered that Pau Gasol is not the only white dude playing for the Lakers

caught the fifth game on replay last night.

fucking unbelievable final term.

i also discovered that Pau Gasol is not the only white dude playing for the Lakers

Do people from Spain consider themselves "white"?

Scale of 1-10, how popular is the NBA down under? I'm curious. Not the sport of basketball, but the NBA itself.....

Scale of 1-10, how popular is the NBA down under? I'm curious. Not the sport of basketball, but the NBA itself.....

i thought he was French.

well it's on the Pay TV channels, and they've started showing it on the digital channels, and there's plenty of people i know who are really into it, but i would say it's about a 3 or 4 out of ten.

i thought he was French.

well it's on the Pay TV channels, and they've started showing it on the digital channels, and there's plenty of people i know who are really into it, but i would say it's about a 3 or 4 out of ten.

He's from Spain. He's a lot of fun to watch, at least for me. Very skilled, especially for a big man. Sports Illustrated ran a nice article on him a few weeks ago:

A philanthropic, opera-loving, multilingual former medical - 03.29.10 - SI Vault

2 or 3 would have been my guess....

3 or 4 out of 10 is about right on the whole. In Canberra where I live though, it seems that every guy between 16 and 35 are right into it. In Newcastle, where Im from, you could talk to 100 people in that age bracket before you find anyone who cares.

Most kids from ages 6 to 14 play basketball where im fro, and when I was in that age, most of us collected nba cards, but 99% of those people have lost all interest. Shame.

Oh, BTW

BEAT LA!

Given Spain's complicated history, who knows.

I'm pretty sure there are lots of Spanish people who are closer ethnically/genetically to Western Europeans than to Mediterranian/North African people though.

Given Spain's complicated history, who knows.

I'm pretty sure there are lots of Spanish people who are closer ethnically/genetically to Western Europeans than to Mediterranian/North African people though.

Well, that would likely explain why I was asking. I don't know the answer, hence the query.

kobe-shooting.bmp

Laz, is that the post-game analysis you've been looking for?

By the way, god bless Marv Albert. He's still one of my favorite pxp men, now or all-time. Sucks that he'll be paired with Reggie Miller next season for the post-season.

It got pretty intense after Sascha's flagrant foul and the 6 point swing. It was hard to watch, especially when Los Suns got within 5. Way to go L.A.! I liked Kobe's response to the TNT guy in the lavendar suit (can't remember his name). He's gonna kill Sascha. I wonder how much playing time he'll get (if any) against the Celtics. Bring 'em on!

GO LAKERS!!!

/random sports post

Laz, is that the post-game analysis you've been looking for?

By the way, god bless Marv Albert. He's still one of my favorite pxp men, now or all-time. Sucks that he'll be paired with Reggie Miller next season for the post-season.

In-depth and concise.

Who are the ad wizards who keep Reggie Miller employed as a color analyst?

THE MACHINE!!

Phoenix should feel lucky that Sascha helped turn an embarrassing home court blow-out into a rallying, die-hard effort that really provided some suspense.

That is, until Black Mamba shoved that reptilian dagger into their hearts. My god, that double-pump shot over Grant Hill was ridiculous, and you could feel the air get sucked out of that place when it happened. Not tonight, Arizona. The rest of the country hates you and apparently so does god.

Like Alvin Gentry said, the best player in the league, BY FAR.

As for Alpert, I love the guy, and it's not the fact that he wears a toupee, it's that the color seems to get lighter with every passing year. Come on dude, you gotta be subtle and keep it dark.

THE MACHINE!!

Phoenix should feel lucky that Sascha helped turn an embarrassing home court blow-out into a rallying, die-hard effort that really provided some suspense.

That is, until Black Mamba shoved that reptilian dagger into their hearts. My god, that double-pump shot over Grant Hill was ridiculous, and you could feel the air get sucked out of that place when it happened. Not tonight, Arizona. The rest of the country hates you and apparently so does god.

Like Alvin Gentry said, the best player in the league, BY FAR.

As for Alpert, I love the guy, and it's not the fact that he wears a toupee, it's that the color seems to get lighter with every passing year. Come on dude, you gotta be subtle and keep it dark.

Alpert never ages, Laz, and doesn't need a toupee. Well, I guess he ages now that Desmond took the cork out, etc.

Are you drunk?

Well the NBA and ABC have to be pleased. Its not Lebron-Kobe for the puppet championship of the world, but its the matchup that has the most history and should provide good ratings.

Celts in 6, Rondo MVP.

As for Reggie Miller. He's not that bad on TV, in fact he's the 2nd best member of his family when it comes to TV work. :wink:

I'm sure that over at ESPN/ABC, they were screaming "NOOOOOO" as the Cavs were being eliminated, until it dawned on them that Celts/Lakers was a very real possibility.

The Orlando Magic/NBA Referees have really fought back against Boston to make this a good series, haven't they?

there really has been a couple of instances where it seemed obvious as to what was going on... and of course, the refs assigned to those games were the ones mentioned in donaghy's book... game 5 in orlando was certainly one of those games... hellooooooo joey crawford :wave:

i still don't think that the NBA purposely sets out to rig games. but certain officials call games tight, certain officials let things go. when you see a certain officiating crew known for calling things tight with quick triggers on their T's put on a game in a series that the NBA would clearly want to be extended, you at least think about it. the NBA could end all speculation by simply announcing every officiating crew for each game before the series begins... that way there's no question of foul play. but the way they do it just breeds speculation, fair or unfair.

P.S.: Is anyone else amazed that Dwight Howard can play this consistently dirty all the time and still have no qualms about bitching about the refs in the media? Dude gets away with bloody murder.

i was actually fairly surprised at how dirty howard has become, as if he's taken the idea that because people play him physicaly it's an O.K. for him to just toss elbows around like they were candy. i think he's got a little dikembe mutumbo thing going... where he's such a nice, personable guy with a huge smile that people tend to not notice that he's a pretty dirty player.

ironic thing is that he's not nearly physical enough as a player... he has no problem putting an elbow in a guy's teeth or throwing somebody to the floor or pushing someone in the back, but he hasn't figured out that he can just bull his way through most defenders and impose his will on the game, especially defensively... guys play him physical, and his response to that is to throw elbows.

that also said... orlando needs to completely restructure their roster. they have a guy down low who should be part of a brute force front line, have a defensive minded coach, and they surround him with a finese team. they need to bring in another big to play with howard to take care of all the dirty work... the oakley to his ewing, so to speak. and the vince carter move was simply a disaster for everyone involved, and now they're locked in to that awful contract for a while.

Make that THREE near triple-doubles.

is that like his near rape conviction?

Where's the guy who had the actual triple-double playoff games?

Oh yeah. He's on vacation already.

as already has been stated, no... rondo's not on vacation yet.

Hey, you can't post anything that might make any of the Lakers actually seem likable. Didn't you get the memo?

can we counter it with things that make pao seem semi-racist?

article-0-0243EF2700000578-604_468x260_popup.jpg

honestly though, there's plenty of good things to say about the lakers... phil jackson is one of the greatest coaches ever, kobe is the best player in the NBA, and ron artest once saw a guy stabbed thru the heart with a table leg.

i'd like to once again make it rather clear that i am not a fan of either of these teams. in fact, being a new york fan, i should have a natural dislike for the celtics moreso than i would for the lakers.

my picking boston has only to do with thinking that they're the better team, not with some sort of goofy hatred or ill will towards the fancy hollywood fakers. reality is i could care less about the lakers. i picked boston over cleveland and orlando as well. i've picked them the entire time. you're the one who seems to believe that if i don't think the lakers are the BEST... THING... EVER... that it's because i have some kinda bias against the OC or somethin'.

back to reality...

the best player on the court fo rthis series is kobe. there is no argument to that. the next two best players are pierce and rondo. then you can slot any of garnett, pao or allen in the next three slots. so the lakers have by far the best player on the court... but 4 of the next 5 best players are on the celtics. artest and odom are the next two after that, and then the celtics bench is superior to that of the lakers, imo.

coaching has to be a wash. personaly i think doc rivers is a better coach than phil jackson, but you can't deny what jackson has done over his career. certainly helps to always have the best player in the game at that particular moment, but the man has more rings than he has fingers (including his two with the knicks), so the utmost respect is due.

for the lakers to win they will need pao to outplay KG, they will need fisher to refind his legs, and they'll need odom and artest to play well. for the celtics to win they'll have to maintain their focus on offense and not have paul pierce get caught up in a mano y mano isolation battle with Kobe, 'cause it's one he won't win, and the celtics won't win if that happens.

ultimately boston's defense is too strong, and they're a better team than they were the last time they beat LA, so there's no reason for me to not pick 'em again.

well... the 2-3-2 is a reason not to pick 'em, but not enough of a reason. i'll go boston in 6.

but on that... it's just incredibly stupid for a playoff to go 3 rounds with a 2-2-1-1-1 setup, and then when they get to the finals, switch to 2-3-2. i understand why they did the 2-3-2 back in the day, to make it easier on travel and such... but they take so many damned days off between games now that there is absolutely no reason to stick with it. go to 2-2-1-1-1 for every round.

Back
Top Bottom