NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Phoenix has everything to win it last night... They just lost it themselves. How can you make so many silly mistakes in the last 5 minutes of the game? I guess they just did not want to play anymore... Any predictions for the Hornets - Spurs series?

I'm really looking forward to the point guard matchup in that one. Both excellent PGs but contrasting styles, that will be fun.

namkcuR said:

Why do you want D'Antoni? He's been ravaged by Suns fans for being terrible with adjustments/rotations, unable to get the team to play defense(granted the players themselves for the most part aren't great defensively), etc.

If he can't get any closer to winning with the Suns' roster, why on Earth would he do any good with the Knicks' roster?

Wait, let me guess, your standard answer when asked why any team might do well in the East: "Because the Eastern Conference is god-awful"...

because he's the best offensive mind in basketball right now. that's why.

red auerbach couldn't win with the knicks roster. the knicks' roster is going to change, they're going to continue to be bad for a few years while getting under the cap and collecting draft picks... which if they would have done this 5 years ago, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

phoenix doesn't exactly have defensive minded players on their roster. and to top that off, like i've already said, if not for tim duncan (and robert horry's body checking skills) they may already have at least one championship with the current "flawed" system. was pat riley a bad coach because he couldn't get the knicks past michael jordan? of course not.

i want d'antoni because i love his style of play. period. it's how the game, offensively at least, should be played. so if phoenix is stupid enough to fire him, i would love for the knicks to get him, but i think he'll end up in toronto with bryan colangelo.

and as if there was any more reason for me to hate the self proclaimed world-wide leader... all this suns bashing for losing in the first round. helloooooo? can you look at the nba standings? this is not your average nba playoffs... the suns were a 6 seed who were 2 games out of the 1 seed. somebody had to lose.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

david west is the key to the series. if he can come close to matching duncan, new orleans will win. if he, along with chandler, can't stop duncan and can't make him work on defense, then the spurs will probably win in 5 or 6 games.

True. This can be a chance to see if David West is overrated or not. The press has been hyping him a lot this season and now he will face a true test with Duncan.

I think they will put Bowen on Chris Paul.

namkcuR said:
The guy has come off as an arrogant self-serving ass. But it would be one thing if he were actually the HOF coach everyone says he is, but he's not. He is among the most overrated coaches in NBA history.

In 23 seasons as a head coach in the NBA, he failed to qualify for the playoffs 6 times and he lost in the first round 7 times. That's 13 times out of 23 that he either didn't get into the playoffs or lost in the first round. 56.5% of the time, well over HALF the time, he either didn't get in or lost in the first round! He lost in the second round 5 times, so 18 times out of 23 he didn't get further than the second round. 78.3% of the time he didn't make it further than the second round! Only 5 times did he get deep into the playoffs - two ECF with the Pacers, the finals with the Sixers, and the championship and finals with the Pistons. 5 times out 23. 21.7%. Less than a quarter. The way the guy is hailed, you would think he's the winningest coach in nba history, but he's not even close, and he has ALL that baggage. I just don't understand why people continue to hire him, and to FOUR YEAR CONTRACTS, when history clearly shows there's a good chance of the guy wanting out before that time is up.

the winningest coach in nba history is lenny wilkens. he's also the losingest coach in nba history.

larry brown has many faults, yes. there is no argument to that. but your assesement of him being a vastly over-rated coach is idiotic. if you want to say he's not worth it because his tendency to bolt teams? i have no argument. if you want to say he's not worth it because he's a mediocre or worse coach? you're nuts. he's one of the greatest teachers of the game in the history of basketball.

your stats are great... :hi5: but what those stats don't tell is that larry brown isn't like pat riley or phil jackson, who only hop on to teams with established stars who were already at the top of their respective conferences at the time he took over. brown only did that once... and he won a championship. go figure.

brown takes over teams that suck and make them good. he made the playoffs with the nets when the nets were still a laughing stock. he made the playoffs with the clippers. he had 3 trips to the final four, including one championship... the only coach ever to win a title in both the nba and the ncaa.

you don't know why anyone hires him because of his history of leaving? fine. i can accept that. but to deny his greatness as a coach is just silly.

i think it's a great hire for the bobcats for two reasons... 1, they will get better under him... 2, extra motivation by brown over what isiah and dolan did to him.

Last edited:
U2@NYC said:

True. This can be a chance to see if David West is overrated or not. The press has been hyping him a lot this season and now he will face a true test with Duncan.

i'll have to disagree with this statement on both sides...

a) david west is one of the most underrated, under the radar players in the league.

b) being outplayed by the greatest power forward of all time does not make you underrated

i'll have to disagree with this statement on both sides...

a) david west is one of the most underrated, under the radar players in the league.

b) being outplayed by the greatest power forward of all time does not make you underrated

I have actually read quite a bit about David West this season... Not sure how that makes him "under the radar".

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'd hardly blame their problems on... Bargnani...don't have a great defensive presence..

Presuming I didn't take that out of context, don't you think you just contradicted yourself there?

Bargnani: poor ball containment, failing to go to the glass, reluctance to drive. There's a reason why he sat towards the end there.

it appears as if d'antoni is done.

SAN ANTONIO -- Mike D'Antoni, the NBA's Coach of the Year for the 2004-05 season and the man credited with reinvigorating fast-break basketball in a league gone stale, will not be back to coach the Phoenix Suns for the 2008-09 season, SI.com has learned.

come on donnie... go get 'em.

not for nothing, but who the fuck is steve kerr, a guy who's never coached and been a GM for not even an entire season yet, to throw the blame on mike d'antoni? honestly... steve kerr only has a job because he played with michael jordan.

it will be interesting to see how this plays out with nash... wether he'll request to be traded or not.

it appears as if d'antoni is done.

come on donnie... go get 'em.

not for nothing, but who the fuck is steve kerr, a guy who's never coached and been a GM for not even an entire season yet, to throw the blame on mike d'antoni? honestly... steve kerr only has a job because he played with michael jordan.

it will be interesting to see how this plays out with nash... wether he'll request to be traded or not.

Who knows? Maybe it was D'Antoni's decision and he wanted to make it public as soon as possible so he can have an early shot at the Knicks or the Bulls. Yahoo! Sports had some news this morning where Phoenix's assistant coaches had mentioned that D'Antoni was leaving regardless of the outcome of the series with the Spurs.

He will be better off in the East, as next year you could probably make the playoffs by winning 25 games...

Also, after Dallas' experience with Jason Kidd, would you want to overpay for Steve Nash?

the winningest coach in nba history is lenny wilkens. he's also the losingest coach in nba history.

larry brown has many faults, yes. there is no argument to that. but your assesement of him being a vastly over-rated coach is idiotic. if you want to say he's not worth it because his tendency to bolt teams? i have no argument. if you want to say he's not worth it because he's a mediocre or worse coach? you're nuts. he's one of the greatest teachers of the game in the history of basketball.

your stats are great... :hi5: but what those stats don't tell is that larry brown isn't like pat riley or phil jackson, who only hop on to teams with established stars who were already at the top of their respective conferences at the time he took over. brown only did that once... and he won a championship. go figure.

brown takes over teams that suck and make them good. he made the playoffs with the nets when the nets were still a laughing stock. he made the playoffs with the clippers. he had 3 trips to the final four, including one championship... the only coach ever to win a title in both the nba and the ncaa.

you don't know why anyone hires him because of his history of leaving? fine. i can accept that. but to deny his greatness as a coach is just silly.

i think it's a great hire for the bobcats for two reasons... 1, they will get better under him... 2, extra motivation by brown over what isiah and dolan did to him.

You have always been entirely too forgiving of LB for his role in what happened in NY, imo. You let him get off scott free while crucifying everyone else in the organization. Your hatred for Dolan and Isiah blinds you. Brown was constantly bitching about his players to the press. Whether or not the players deserved criticism is besides the point. It doesn't matter. I don't care if your star player has played like shit for 82 straight games, you don't bitch about it to the press. I can't think of any other coach who just blatently talks shit on his players to the press the way Brown does. And the Knicks have a very clear policy regarding this practice. Brown knew damn well it was against the rules and he did it anyway. Dolan then told him not to do it anymore or there would be consequences, and Brown continued doing it anyway. Furthermore, there are also confirmations that Brown had on at least one occassion attempted to go over Isiah's head concerning a trade, talking to another team, as if he were trying to steal Isiah's job through underhanded means. After the season was completed, Brown wouldn't even admit he had done anything wrong at all. This is the kind of character you want being the chief basketball influence on your young team? I'm not defending Dolan or Isiah in any way, as they are both incompetent as hell, but it's not right to play let Brown go free on the matter the way you seemingly have.

You want to talk about his actual coaching ability? Fine. I have always thought he was much better suited to be a college coach than an NBA coach. When I look at head basketball coaches, I generally see two groups - those who coach by teaching, using inflexable systems, and disciplining their players as though they were in high school, and those who are more about getting players to play together, getting egos to work together, and running things in whatever way is most conducive to the most efficient and productive utilization of the players and talent you have(I'm thinking not just PJax and Riley, but Adelman, Popovich, Karl(though he hasn't been so great lately), Daly, Nelson, Stan Van Gundy, D'Antoni). The second style of coaching has indisputably had much more success in the NBA than the first, and I have always felt that everyone in that first group, the 'teachers', not JUST LB, would be better suited to the college game, because that's where you TEACH the game. I am not taking away from the basketball minds of this first group, because often times the 'teachers' have BRILLIANT basketball minds(I mean, I include guys like Mike Fratello and Hubie Brown in this group for pete's sake and they ARE BRILLIANT basketball minds) but don't know how to harness NBA talent, how to keep egos in check, how to get people to put aside their selfish playing styles and their egos in order to run an efficient professional basketball offense(note that this is not the same thing as simply teaching a team how to play together, it's more like GETTING a team to put aside their egos and play together, it's a different skill, it's a 'personality' skill), and that's what NBA coaching is about, imo - people skills, being able to relate to your players, getting them trust you, getting them to believe you so that they will buy into what you're saying, and ego management. And many of those characteristics I just mentioned are percisely the areas in which Brown - and many other college coaches(look at the history of college coaches attempting to jump to the NBA and failing miserably) - fails. He wants to teach and he wants to discipline and he wants things done HIS way. That's an NCAA coach.

I can't stand Brown's personality and, yes, I think he's overrated as an NBA coach. His forte is taking laughingstocks and making them into respectable teams that lose in the first or second round of the playoffs(except for the Knicks, not even he could fix them). He is NOT that great when it comes to making 'good' teams into 'great' teams. That is not a reflection on his basketball mind, it's just a reflection of the fact that the skillset for being a great NBA coach is just much different than the skillset for being a great college coach/basketball teacher.

I will say this: the coaches in the first group are almost always much better commentators than those in the second group. I'll listen to Fratello and Hubie and Doug Collins and JVG over anyone in the second group for commentating - because they have great basketball minds and are more insightful about the game than the great NBA coaches whose fortes lie in the ability to relate to players and make the most most efficient use out talent and ego.

But I still wouldn't want Brown as a commentater, because he always sounds constipated when he speaks publically. :wink:

U2@NYC said:

I think they will put Bowen on Chris Paul.
Would be a huge mistake..Parker is the only Spur quick enough to match up with Paul. In half court, Bowen may stand some chance, but in the open floor he'll look like he's wearing cement shoes.

gvox said:

Presuming I didn't take that out of context, don't you think you just contradicted yourself there?

Bargnani: poor ball containment, failing to go to the glass, reluctance to drive. There's a reason why he sat towards the end there.

Was that his purpose though? You're more qualified to talk about the Raps than I am, but didn't they draft him for his offensive capabilities (to be the "next Dirk") over his defensive skills. He's got the size and mobility to be a good defender, but doesn't have a killer instinct yet, but that seems to be a trend for most European players entering the league at his age. He could be a Dirk, could be a Darko, but right now, it's too early to tell. They, like the Magic, need a big goon to punish other bigs inside to free up space for Howard and Bosh.

In the end, the Magic won the series for two reasons - Dwight Howard thoroughly pwning everyone in his path (sometimes the free throw line, too), and Jameer Nelson deciding to become a man this series.

The Raps are extremely entertaining to watch though, and if they get another piece, would be as good or better than the Cavs/Wiz/Sixers or any other team in the tier they're in.

Gutty performance by the Wiz last night...I'd love to see them pull this off, but even if they don't win, if they can extend this thing the full 7 games that would be outstanding.

thetitans2k said:
Lebron sucked in the last minute of that game.

The whole team sucked in the last quarter. Not sure when they were up by 7 and then 5 in the last few minutes why they continued to shoot 3s? Dumb.

I think LeBron made up for the game 5 disaster. 27, 13, and 13. Not too bad. Even though I wished the Cavs wold have closed the Wiz out on Wednesday, it's kind of nice to beat the crap out of them in front of their fans.

KG wasn't the only Celtic who completely fell apart down the stretch.

I am pretty sure that on the last possession, Rajon Rando briefly had a brain aneurysm and thought that the game was tied and that he was holding the ball for the last shot. Upon realizing that the Celtics were, in fact, down by 3 points, and that there were only 2 seconds left in the game, he suddenly heaved a 30-foot shot towards the basket with absolutely no body momentum.

Last edited:
If the Hawks continue to play like this, I am going to have to cheer for them... Although the East is an embarassment, I don't even know why they are playing for.

Spurs-Hornets start tomorrow. :drool:

Mr. Racer...
keep in mind, I said all that with 5 minutes left.

Ok, now in the last five minutes I would have to say it couldn't be Garnett's fault because they never gave him the ball. Besides the perfect inbounds play to cut the lead to two.

Yup, so you're down by two and have the ball...Garnett is posting...give him the ball. Don't chuck up some stupid 3 Mr. Allen!

The last 2 games in Atl, the most clutch shooter on the floor has been Posey. :scratch:

If you would have asked me which series was most likely to go to game 7 before the playoffs started. It would not have been this one. What a suprise that Atlanta can play with these guys. Doesn't make much sense to me.

The Hawks play tomorrow the Celtics! at 1:00 p.m. sorry I'm from Atlanta but I've never payed attention to basketball until now. Go Hawks!!! WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom