NBA Basketball 2006-07: The Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best dunk of all time

fullj.getty76344715nb005_fiba.jpg

That's what happens when you draft a guy who is 52 years old.

"Greg had an arthroscopy and a microfracture surgery today," team physician Dr. Don Roberts, who performed the surgery, said in a statement posted on the Trail Blazers' Web site. "He was found to have articular cartilage damage in his right knee. The area of injury was not large and we were able to treat it with microfracture, which stimulates the growth of cartilage.

career = over.

At least Oden's knee problems are being caught and treated right now instead of lagging with him for his entire career. Sure his ceiling might drop a little, but it's better than having to have repeated surgeries and kill a superstar level career (Chris Webber and Antonio McDyess, I'm looking at you.)

Amare Stoudemire's first year back went well and Oden's (allegedly) younger and close to as athletic, so recovery could be as much of a success.

Oh, you're a Dr. now YLB??? Is that it!?!?!??!

No, you might be right. We'll see. Still an ominous beginning to a #1 draft pick's career, and sort of an eerie parallel to Bowie.

Admiral?!? Admiral?!? Admiral...

If Durant drops 30 a night, then it will be an even bigger parallel.

He will, I remember seeing pictures of Kobe, Garnett, and McGrady as high schoolers and their first years in the NBA to now, huge differences. I think Durant will be fine.

Durant is tricky...yeah he could be great but something about him reminds me of Donyell Marshall, who despite being a generally decent guy and fellow Husky hasn't exactly had a stellar NBA career.

And while I don't mean in any way to wish ill on Greg Oden, you never wish injury on a player (well maybe a Yankee haha), this does take a bit of the sting out of yet another draft-lottery screwing of the Celtics.

I am willing to wish ill on any athlete that plays in the New England area. :)

Durant is physically reminiscent of Donyell, but has a lot more offensive skills at his command.

Even as a Sonics fan, I'm very sad to hear about Oden's injury. He's a class guy, and the NBA needs players like him. Hope he has a full recovery and a great career.

And yeah, we're all very excited about Kevin Durant up here.

No spoken words said:
Headache likes Durant. I think he needs to fill out if he's gonna play at the NBA level. Headache knows more about basketball than I do, though.

i was luke warm on both guys, actually... both obviously have (or had) great potential, but i'm not on the "oh my god kevin durant is the greatest player ever!!!" bandwagon, off of one good season in which he lost to some mediocre teams and was bounced early from the NCAA tournament by yet another mediocre team.

oden worried me because he only plays basketball because he's tall. he's admited numerous times that his dream in life was not to become a basketball player... it as to (yes this is true) be a dentist.

yes, a dentist.

so for a guy who it's not really his first love anyway... apparently he loves teeth more... will he really put in the effort that amare put in in order to get back?

and let's not remember... amare was fine this year, but he tried to come back at the end of the season two years ago and ended up injuring himself again. and amare never wanted to be a dentist.

oden could still be a solid pro... but the odds of him ever becoming a dominant center in the league just shrunk signficantly. this is the same injury that effectively ended the careers of chris webber, allan houston and especially antonio mcdyess, who many forget was an absolute beastoid (and in his 20s) when he needed microfiber surgery.

:shrug: if isiah goes to jail and they give me the knicks GM job, i'll be happy to trade zach randolph back to portland.

Whether he likes basketball or teeth, he loves money. He's obviously going to put in the rehab work to be back at 100%. His still very young and I think his body will be able to recover.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i was luke warm on both guys, actually... both obviously have (or had) great potential, but i'm not on the "oh my god kevin durant is the greatest player ever!!!" bandwagon, off of one good season in which he lost to some mediocre teams and was bounced early from the NCAA tournament by yet another mediocre team.

I completely agree on Durant. He lost to Villanova (not at all a mediocre team, but a team you'd think would struggle with matchups) last year. In that game, he scored 12 points, and only 1 in the second half. He was guarded by 6-0 Scottie Reynolds from the start of the second half on. While Reynolds is gifted, do you think other NBA stars that are in the mold of Durant (or his potential anyway), would score 1 point in 20 minutes while guarded by Scottie Reynolds?

thetitans2k said:
Whether he likes basketball or teeth, he loves money. He's obviously going to put in the rehab work to be back at 100%. His still very young and I think his body will be able to recover.

his contract is gauranteed.

he already has the money. he has more money in his pocket right now than his entire family has ever had in their lives.

he has a limited offensive game as it is... now he won't be able to play for at least 6 months, if not longer. he's proven to be injury prone, he's a very strange dude and people have questioned if his heart is 100% into it already.

one guy, amare stoudamire, has come back from this surgery succesfuly, and it took him a year and a half to get back to full strength. and amare stoudamire is/was a hell of a lot better than greg oden.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom