NBA 2016-17: The Season After the Warriors Blew a 3-1 Lead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that as long as Kyrie buys into playing Stevens' style of play that Boston will come out as getting the better haul in year one... Cleveland merely got another ball dominant guard, only one who's 5 inches shorter and an even worse defender, coming off major hip surgery.

The pick, though... That could change things. I'm not shocked Boston traded it, but I'm pretty surprised they didn't protect it.

The pick will be the determining factor of who ultimately "wins the trade". If it ends up 1 or 2 and the Cavs get Porter or Bagley, then the trade looks better for Cleveland in the long run. If the Nets are improved and the pick ends up like 6 or so, then the Celts will look pretty smart.

Certainly for the upcoming season the Celts should have the better return. They got the best basketball player in the exchange.

History will judge the trade based on where that pick lands and if Irving re-signs with the Celts and plays here for more than 2 seasons.

But as GAF said its a good trade for both teams. Cavs had to move Irving, they weren't getting a better haul from anyone else. Celts have been stockpiling assets and folks here have been waiting for Ainge to make a major move with those assets, now he has.

They still have the Lakers pick next year if it falls between 2 and 5, so I think the thought process is that this gets them to where they can possibly win a title in a couple years, not this year. Ainge thinks he'll be able to convince Irving to sign an extension at some point, if so heading into say the 2019-2020 season you have Irving at age 27, still have Heyward and Horford, have Brown entering his 4th year, Tatum entering his 3rd year and possibly a 2018 top 5 pick entering his 2nd year. You are a contender to win the title with that team if Brown and Tatum develop as many think they will.

Lot of ifs involved, but holding Brooklyn's pick is loaded with ifs as well.

Plus they could certainly win the east this year, what if you get to the finals and Durant or Curry gets hurt in game 1? Now you have a legit shot.

This is all still dependant upon one thing - is Kyrie really that good?

Will a guy who was unhappy with a usage rate in the upper 30s while playing with LeBron be able to fit in with a relatively unselfish team, or will he want to to full Iverson on us and blow the whole thing up? Is Kyrie even the best player on the Celtics?

There are a ton of questions about Kyrie... I'm not against trading Thomas, and agree that nobody wants to pay him to be an aging liliputian who doesn't guard anyone. But for what they gave up to get Kyrie the could have gotten Jimmy Butler, Paul George, or if they waited, Cousins or even the Unibrow... all of whom are better than Irving, and all of whom were gotten for less (Unibrow excluded).

This is a big gamble for Ainge. He's been golden on his trades ever since the KG and Ray Allen moves, so I guess he can get the benefit of the doubt... but this one's highly suspect. That's a shit load to give up to bring home the (maybe) 6th best point guard in the league.

Is he really that good? Does it matter? He's not that smart - he won't win shit on his own. If there was somebody who needed to be bossed around by kween diva LeBron, it was Kyrie.

Jesus what a mess. I feel for Thomas in this - after the stellar year he had, only to be seemingly disowned by Boston and potentially rejected by Cleveland, and on top of that have doubts about his health broadcast to the entire damn league.

Cavs won't back out of this, though. Crowder and that Brooklyn pick are way too valuable to them. Maybe Irving straight up for Klay Thompson as an alternative? I can dream...

Jesus what a mess. I feel for Thomas in this - after the stellar year he had, only to be seemingly disowned by Boston and potentially rejected by Cleveland, and on top of that have doubts about his health broadcast to the entire damn league.

Cavs won't back out of this, though. Crowder and that Brooklyn pick are way too valuable to them. Maybe Irving straight up for Klay Thompson as an alternative? I can dream...
Yeaaaaaaa Golden State would never ever do that

The deal will end up going through.
Celts were up front about Thomas, Cav's doc may have a more pessimistic view of the timetable and Cavs are posturing to get an added asset.
Neither team benefits from the trade being rescinded. Cavs can still deal Kyrie, but they won't get anywhere near the return they just got. The Brooklyn pick alone is more than they'll get elsewhere. Most that happens is the Celts toss in a 2nd rounder to appease LeBron. And we know what 2nd rounders are worth.

The deal will end up going through.
Celts were up front about Thomas, Cav's doc may have a more pessimistic view of the timetable and Cavs are posturing to get an added asset.
Neither team benefits from the trade being rescinded. Cavs can still deal Kyrie, but they won't get anywhere near the return they just got. The Brooklyn pick alone is more than they'll get elsewhere. Most that happens is the Celts toss in a 2nd rounder to appease LeBron. And we know what 2nd rounders are worth.

2020 2nd rounder (originally Miami's).

???

Players are traded all the time in all sports without being consulted.

And they also make millions of dollars.

They're human beings, so I get it, they should be treated like human beings. I feel for his kids, but I'm sure worse things could happen.

Boston was particularly disingenuous about this specific trade, however. And their handling of his injuries is borderline malpractice.

The way the intro press conference went yesterday, it sounds like Thomas will miss a lot of time. Probably half the year at least.

Generally, players in the 4 major North American sports are more or less aware they're on the trading block when rumours surface and their names are leaked to the press. But they are very rarely consulted about it, unless they have a limited or full no-trade clause in their contract and the team would like the player to expand the list of teams he could be traded to (limited no-trade clause) or waive his full no-trade clause entirely.

Trades that materialize out of the blue without any rumours are becoming more rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom