NBA 2014-2015 Thread: Draft, Free Agency, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully the Cavs will wait it out until Saunders starts to get desperate, then arrange a trade without Wiggins. There doesn't seem to be any other serious suitors for Love at the moment. I mean this Golden State thing has stopped and started at least five times now.

The city hasn't had a championship in 50 years in any sport (1964 Browns won NFL title in the pre-Superb Owl days), Cavs have never won a title, so if Gilbert were to bring them a title he'd be beloved (along of course with LeBron), so I can see the upside of the trade. Plus its not like in Love you're trading for an aging star, he's 25, 26 in September. Plays a position they have a void at and could set them up for a run of serious title contention for 5-7 years with James, Irving and Love. Wiggins could end up being as great as everyone thought a year ago, but then again he may not. Love is a known commodity right now.

I just can't see the purpose in this, but I understand the short-term gains. As mentioned, it's not like Love is old. This just seems like a really weird choice, to me, at least.

The age argument is pointless for Love because he's not going to want to stick around in Cleveland of all places if they're not winning championships. At least LeBron has family there.

I really, really don't think this team is deep enough yet to win it all. Why trade your future for now when winning now is far from guaranteed? This Cavs team, even with Love, isn't at San Antonio's level. Maybe OKC.

Hopefully the Cavs will wait it out until Saunders starts to get desperate, then arrange a trade without Wiggins. There doesn't seem to be any other serious suitors for Love at the moment. I mean this Golden State thing has stopped and started at least five times now.

The Cavs won't land him without Wiggins in the deal. Minnetonka turned down much bettter offers pre-draft than anything Cleveland could put together without including Wiggins, (Cavs draft picks are no longer good trade chips since they will be very late).

The Celtics still covet Love and Ainge has a slew of 1st rounders at his disposal. He'd give up a pair of #1s (Brooklyn 2016 and 2018 picks could be very enticing) plus Sullinger and Green or whatever other player Saunders would want. Cleveland can't come close to that without including Wiggins.

The age argument is pointless for Love because he's not going to want to stick around in Cleveland of all places if they're not winning championships. At least LeBron has family there.

I really, really don't think this team is deep enough yet to win it all. Why trade your future for now when winning now is far from guaranteed?

Love has already said he'd be willing to sign an extension in Cleveland. And why wouldn't he? Playing with LeBron (and Irving to boot) makes them a real title contender.

Cleveland's greatest weakness right now is defense. Wiggins immediately improves that side of the ball. Love, I'm not sure as I haven't seen him play too much. He's a great rebounder as I understand it, but as a straight-up defender he doesn't seem to have the greatest reputation. Cleveland won't be hurting for scoring next year, which is why I lean toward keeping Wiggins.

The Celtics still covet Love and Ainge has a slew of 1st rounders at his disposal. He'd give up a pair of #1s (Brooklyn 2016 and 2018 picks could be very enticing) plus Sullinger and Green or whatever other player Saunders would want. Cleveland can't come close to that without including Wiggins.

Why hasn't that deal happened, then? There's been plenty of time to arrange it.

Love has already said he'd be willing to sign an extension in Cleveland. And why wouldn't he? Playing with LeBron (and Irving to boot) makes them a real title contender.

LeBron's contract is also only two years. The future of long-term trio of LeBron/Love/Irving depends on immediate success and the east has gotten quite a bit more competitive.

Anyway, I don't care what Vegas thinks, I'm not instantly penciling in the Cavs as title favorites yet.

Why hasn't that deal happened, then? There's been plenty of time to arrange it.

One issue is Saunders is gun shy about being perceived as being out dealt by Ainge again after the Garnett deal.
When the Celts got #6 in the lottery, that pretty much killed the deal happening in June, had they ended up top 3, word is the deal may well have happened. (Supposedly would have been this year's #1, Brooklyn's 2016 # 1 Sullinger and one more player)
But if they end up moving him (despite their claims they don't plan to) they will look for their best deal. Boston and Golden State can and will both put forth better offers than Cleveland if Cleveland doesn't include Wiggins.

LeBron's contract is also only two years. The future of long-term trio of LeBron/Love/Irving depends on immediate success and the east has gotten quite a bit more competitive.

Anyway, I don't care what Vegas thinks, I'm not instantly penciling in the Cavs as title favorites yet.

LeBron's deal (one year actually with player option for 2nd) is structured more to take advantage of the perceived increase in salary cap and therefore increased value of max player contract 2 years from now. He'll sign a max deal in 2016 for more than he could now. He's not leaving Cleveland in 2 years time.

Mind-boggling to me that they'd be willing to trade their #1 pick for the lure of possible but not guaranteed short-term glory.

Not really. If Cleveland sucks on this short LeBron contract, I'm sure he considers leaving again.

They've got stuff to prove to him if they want to return to former glory.

Last time I'll compare it to our sports, I swear, because it's probably entirely pointless, but no AFL team would even entertain the thought of trading away the #1 pick, so it's insane to me.

Last time I'll compare it to our sport, I swear, because it's probably entirely pointless, but no AFL team would even entertain the thought of trading away the #1 pick, so it's insane to me.

Someone feel free to correct me, but basketball is a bit different.

In the NHL it would be the same way as you're describing.

You do that Love for Wiggins trade and you do it now.

Love is a top 5 player, and he's only 26.

Wiggins might be. He's an athletic freak, yes. He also has had serious questions asked about his work ethic in the past, and he might be a bust.

This isn't even as risky as Boston trading for KG... which despite KG's body instantly breaking down after 2 seasons, I'm sure Boston fans are quite happy with that trade.

You do this trade, and you do it yesterday.

The Cavs have at least one pick that's not there's and they have plenty of 4's.

Miami's top 10 protected pick, also not a superior trade chip.

Thompson? Serviceable, but not even close to what Love would bring.
Besides him what, rookie 2nd round pick Dwight Powell?

Its probably the position Cleveland nees help at most. Center isn't exactly bursting with all pro talent either, but the duo of Haywood and Sideshow Bob Varejao if healthy provides enough.

Again, I see no way Minnesota trades Love to Cleveland if Wiggins isn't part of the deal. Nothing else they have makes it worth doing.

You do that Love for Wiggins trade and you do it now.

Love is a top 5 player, and he's only 26.

Wiggins might be. He's an athletic freak, yes. He also has had serious questions asked about his work ethic in the past, and he might be a bust.

This isn't even as risky as Boston trading for KG... which despite KG's body instantly breaking down after 2 seasons, I'm sure Boston fans are quite happy with that trade.

You do this trade, and you do it yesterday.

Yep. I have agreed with you all along that Parker seemed to be the surest best at the top of the draft.

Sent from my 831C using U2 Interference mobile app

A title and loss in game 7 and we lost out on the prime of Al Jefferson's career, yeah no complaints about that trade around here.

And you know what? Boston could really use Al Jefferson right now. He's turned into one of the better post players in the NBA.

And the trade was still a no-brainer.

And that's the thing... Wiggins could still turn into a top 10 talent. But he won't be that for at least 3 to 5 years. LeBron will be 33 to 35 by that time. His window will be rapidly closing.

So your options are

A) 3 to 5 years of LeBron's window with a developing player who might become a top 10 talent by the end of it, but LeBron's window will be closing

Or

B) those same years with a current top 5 talent who will only be 30 at the end of that window. And who by the way may be the most perfect complimentary player to both LeBron AND Dave Blatt you could ever find.

And you know what? Boston could really use Al Jefferson right now. He's turned into one of the better post players in the NBA.

And the trade was still a no-brainer.

Jefferson was a 20-10 guy when he was a Celtic. Nobody ever questioned his offensive skills. But him entering his prime was still many steps below Garnett exiting his, especially on the defensive end. Had the Celts held on to Jefferson and gone to battle with Pierce, Allen, Rondo, Jefferon and Perkins, and put the same bench together in 07-08, they would have been a high seed in the east and probably watched Kobe beat LeBron for the title. And they'd be a better team right now with Jefferson, but not close to a title contender. There's a reason Ainge covets Love.

if healthy

This is the problem, though. Whenever Andy has been asked to play center regularly, he has gotten injured. It's a shame Hawes got away, because center is the position they need the most help with.

But maybe with Love they won't need a true center. That arrangement seems to have worked fine with Miami the last few years.

Hawes is nothing more than a role player. If you're relying on him for starter minutes at the 5 you've got a problem there.

There are no good centers in the league anymore... All you need is a nice solid role player who's good on the defensive end and can stay healthy, and you can win.

Even that is difficult to find these days... but it's not as if you need to find an all star caliber center. To match up against... Who? Dwight Howard? Who cares.

There are no good centers in the league anymore... All you need is a nice solid role player who's good on the defensive end and can stay healthy, and you can win.

Even that is difficult to find these days... but it's not as if you need to find an all star caliber center. To match up against... Who? Dwight Howard? Who cares.
Hawes can neither play D nor stay healthy. I'm well aware of the status of the position around the league. He's a role player even in that context. He's a decent offensive player who is an absolute liability on the defense end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom