NBA 2012-13 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the most interesting development of the Sixers season so far:

bbex0oxciaabjtj.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Is it possible that the Lakers have finally figured it out?

Three in a row, including a win over OKC. I'm excited to sit down and watch a lot of NBA tonight. I'll be watching Bulls/Bucks followed by Lakers/Suns.

DOUBLE HEADER.

Biggest trade of the season so far, just went down:

Rudy Gay to the Raptors
Jose Calderon (really good, underrated point guard) to the Pistons
Tayshaun Prince, 2nd round pick, Ed Davis to the Grizzlies

Not sure I like the Grizzlies end of that deal, and they're the only current contenders involved here. Puzzling.

I wonder how much gas Tayshaun has left in the tank, as I haven't seen him play in ages. But in his day he was a damn fine player and is likely still a solid role player now.

With Monroe and Drummond, they may have a pretty good team two years from now.

Q&A: Dirk Nowitzki on the Mavs' Struggles, His Favorite Shot Artist, and Refusing to Watch Shark Tank - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

So as a shot artist, what other shots do you admire around the league? I’m not talking about something as general as Ray Allen’s jumper. I’m talking specific shots.

I'm such a dork, still. This is my 15th year and I still sit, when my wife's asleep, I sit there and watch League Pass. I do it from sometimes 9 p.m. till 12:30 a.m., until the West Coast games are over. I was always a huge fan of Kobe. Obviously, he's now on the declining end, like most of us older guys, but the stuff he does … They are never out of a game. When I get home, at like 11 p.m., I know the fourth quarter will just be starting in L.A., and I'll sit down and watch him basically will his team to win with some incredible shots.

So you don’t buy the idea that Kobe and other stars are playing hero ball there at the end of games? That they are taking really bad shots with two or three guys guarding them?

Yeah, sometimes it's a thin line. You need a mixture [of plays] to find the open guy, but some nights you just gotta take the team home.

Kobe’s footwork in the post is obviously legendary.

Oh yeah. The athleticism, the balance in the air, the lefty shots. He made a 3 on us one year in the corner. The shot clock was winding down, and he had to spin around and just shoot it lefty. To me, he's the no. 1 player over the 15 years I've been in this league.

TAKE DAT WIT CHEW

Eons ago, Larry Bird walked into the all star Saturday night locker room, told everyone there that they were playing for second place, and proceeded to win the three point contest without taking off his shooting shirt. Not for some huge paycheck, just for the sake of competition.

Now the best stars in the NBA still compete at all stat Saturday night, only now it's over who can dress like more of a complete and utter douche.

Evolution is not always a good thing.

Q&A: Dirk Nowitzki on the Mavs' Struggles, His Favorite Shot Artist, and Refusing to Watch Shark Tank - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

So as a shot artist, what other shots do you admire around the league? I’m not talking about something as general as Ray Allen’s jumper. I’m talking specific shots.

I'm such a dork, still. This is my 15th year and I still sit, when my wife's asleep, I sit there and watch League Pass. I do it from sometimes 9 p.m. till 12:30 a.m., until the West Coast games are over. I was always a huge fan of Kobe. Obviously, he's now on the declining end, like most of us older guys, but the stuff he does … They are never out of a game. When I get home, at like 11 p.m., I know the fourth quarter will just be starting in L.A., and I'll sit down and watch him basically will his team to win with some incredible shots.

So you don’t buy the idea that Kobe and other stars are playing hero ball there at the end of games? That they are taking really bad shots with two or three guys guarding them?

Yeah, sometimes it's a thin line. You need a mixture [of plays] to find the open guy, but some nights you just gotta take the team home.

Kobe’s footwork in the post is obviously legendary.

Oh yeah. The athleticism, the balance in the air, the lefty shots. He made a 3 on us one year in the corner. The shot clock was winding down, and he had to spin around and just shoot it lefty. To me, he's the no. 1 player over the 15 years I've been in this league.

TAKE DAT WIT CHEW

I dunno if I'd call Kobe's post foot work "legendary." His foot work is excellent, don't get me wrong. I simply have a higher regard for legendary i suppose. Hakeem Olajuwon has legendary footwork. Kevin McHale's up and under. Kareem's sky hook. These are "legendary" post moves.

It is sad what has happened to post play, and that the best post players in the league now are probably all guards, or are all old.

Duncan's inside pivot bank shot is a thing of beauty, as is Dirk's one foot step back in the lane... which has become "his" move even though Olajuwon and Ewing would do it on a regular basis. Ewing's baseline fade away will always hold a special place in my heart. And Hakeem Olajuwon had the most perfect foot work the game has ever seen.

I understand the "spread 4" and how its changed basketball... but there's still a place for the skilled back to the basket player. The problem is that there aren't any. Dwight Howard? Please.

Eons ago, Larry Bird walked into the all star Saturday night locker room, told everyone there that they were playing for second place, and proceeded to win the three point contest without taking off his shooting shirt. Not for some huge paycheck, just for the sake of competition.

Now the best stars in the NBA still compete at all stat Saturday night, only now it's over who can dress like more of a complete and utter douche.

Evolution is not always a good thing.

Every time I hear the Larry "who's playing for second?" story it brings a smile to my face. Heard it mentioned on the radio driving home earlier this week...classic Bird.

I dunno if I'd call Kobe's post foot work "legendary." His foot work is excellent, don't get me wrong. I simply have a higher regard for legendary i suppose. Hakeem Olajuwon has legendary footwork. Kevin McHale's up and under. Kareem's sky hook. These are "legendary" post moves.

It is sad what has happened to post play, and that the best post players in the league now are probably all guards, or are all old.

Duncan's inside pivot bank shot is a thing of beauty, as is Dirk's one foot step back in the lane... which has become "his" move even though Olajuwon and Ewing would do it on a regular basis. Ewing's baseline fade away will always hold a special place in my heart. And Hakeem Olajuwon had the most perfect foot work the game has ever seen.

I understand the "spread 4" and how its changed basketball... but there's still a place for the skilled back to the basket player. The problem is that there aren't any. Dwight Howard? Please.

Like a lot of people, I love Marc Gasol's game, he's a gifted passer, a pretty decent shooter and he can take the ball to the hole fairly well for a big man....and he plays very smart team defense....but even with all of his skills, he's not a great back to the basket center. Amazing how this breed has seemingly up and disappeared. I guess every 7 footer wants to be a 2 or 3 and not get to work down low. I also suppose that not spending 3-4 years in college working on your post game hurts, too.

And, yes, Hakeem and McHale are probably the two best players I've ever seen in regards to post-up skills and moves...but for a guard, it's hard to argue with Kobe.

We were passing around a youtube clip of Hakeem around work a few weeks ago, and it's fucking unreal. Doubly so when you consider how late he came to the game. I don't think he's the best ever, but, he's certainly the best Center I've ever seen.

Like a lot of people, I love Marc Gasol's game, he's a gifted passer, a pretty decent shooter and he can take the ball to the hole fairly well for a big man....and he plays very smart team defense....but even with all of his skills, he's not a great back to the basket center. Amazing how this breed has seemingly up and disappeared. I guess every 7 footer wants to be a 2 or 3 and not get to work down low. I also suppose that not spending 3-4 years in college working on your post game hurts, too.

And, yes, Hakeem and McHale are probably the two best players I've ever seen in regards to post-up skills and moves...but for a guard, it's hard to argue with Kobe.

We were passing around a youtube clip of Hakeem around work a few weeks ago, and it's fucking unreal. Doubly so when you consider how late he came to the game. I don't think he's the best ever, but, he's certainly the best Center I've ever seen.

There's two things at work here... Yes, everybody thinks or wants to be a face up perimeter player now... And secondly, the ball around lack of good coaching thanks to the proliferation of AAU today hurts as well. Now a days most of your fancy AAU coaches will just tell the big man to go get a fucking rebound rather than work with him on footwork. Because who has the time to develop a raw, uncoordinated big man when you only practice once a week?

The irony of all of this, of course, is that those who are students of the great, late Pete Newell know full well that the footwork required to be a great guard and the footwork required to be a great post player is very similar. Then again, most of our modern guards have shitty footwork, too.

I can get a player to be 3 feet closer to the rim on his or her first step/dribble simply by changing their pivot foot. It's not brain surgery... It just isn't taught anymore.

Didn't want to continue NBA discussion in Random Music, so I'm posting this here.

GAF, I owe you a half-apology here with my remarks about the Lakers' recent play and their comebacks against weak teams, as I didn't see yesterday's score. They beat a legit team (Chicago), with Kobe scoring a modest 19 points on 16 shots, which should also satisfy Iron Yuppie's concern about him carrying the team too much. Nash and Howard also stepped up considerably.

As I said before, these guys should be experienced enough to know what they need to do and when do to it. The Lakers coasting during the regular season only to fire up during the playoffs is an recurring story, but they're usually in a better seed at this point. They definitely have an uphill battle, but I agree that talent-wise they should be feared. Because if their big names do manage to get their shit together, that's a Hall Of Fame-studded lineup that no one wants to go up against.

:up:

And now it's time for my friend Derrick to come back. Please.

He reads Interference, right?

I've heard his favorite U2 album is THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE.

Bulls getting blown out by the fucking Kings.

Lakers lose to the Hawks, Kobe out "indefinitely" with a severely sprained ankle.

This is the NBA. This is 40.

When Leia told Obi-Wan that he was her only hope, she had no fucking clue. Derrick. Come on, buddy. We need you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom