National Hockey League 2011-2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
155782_la.jpg

To which I can say: The first athlete I have saluted since Nathan Horton gave me the finger as a 12 year old. Stephen Weiss, you are an inspiration.

If the Caps were facing the Rangers instead, these EC first round matches would've been damn well perfect. The West... looks to be some good matchups if the right teams advance.

Obviously the Penguins/Flyers doesn't need any justification... that's going to be the best matchup of the first round, hands down.

Panthers and Devils... not sure if anyone cares but I'll go ahead and highlight it out because I'm so damn excited:

- Last Panthers playoff appearance 12 years ago, v. New Jersey Devils
- Florida Panthers coach Kevin Dineen brings Panthers to playoffs in first season
- Former Florida Panthers coach Pete DeBoer on opposite bench spent 3 years in Florida
- 'The Promise' being DeBoer's big disaster where the Panthers blew their #5 seed in the final month of play in 2008-09
- Two seasoned veteran goalies in Brodeur and Theodore fighting to remain relevant can and likely will come alive
- Platooner Scott Clemmensen backed Brodeur in New Jersey and now may face Brodeur
- 39 year old veteran John Madden, longtime Devil, comes out of retirement as a Florida Panther to face the team he won 2 cups with
- Panther reject Ryan Carter finds himself on the other team in New Jersey
- Ragtag Panther team shaped up by Dale Tallon defies odds and makes playoffs
- The rats are back on the ice in South Florida

Going to be a defensive series of hockey with a strong showing of goaltending (hopefully)... I imagine 6 or 7 games if the Panthers show up with their best stuff.

edit: Any chance you could throw in a playoff towel as well hehe.

Just saw your edit. I've already boxed everything up for you, and I'm not sure when I'll be going to a playoffs event (unemployment doesn't leave me much extra money to afford going out at the moment). Should I manage to nab an extra towel sometime during the playoffs, I'll send it to you in another package. I'll let you know. :)

That's no fun! :wink:

There's been a huge crackdown on public parties this year, so I'm not sure where I'll be watching the games (other than at friends' houses, of course). It sucks that the assholes who rioted last year have ruined the celebrations for this year. I loved the outdoor viewings of the games downtown - all of them were awesome except of course the last one.

Think the Canucks can go up against long series with LA and then Chicago, considering their banged-up roster?

Should be interesting, as well as seeing if the Red Wings can make it out of the first round.

What I'm saying is I just don't see them as a cup team. I've had the Flyers on my ECF since day 1 of the regular season and despite numerous injuries and setbacks I'm not backing out on that one. Id love for the Panthers to advance and prove that wrong though.

Refresh my memory, does the NHL re-seed after round one? Because that's the only way I can see the Flyers getting to the ECF.

... That would be re-seeding.

The alternative is that the 1-8 winner plays the 4-5 winner and the 2-7 winner plays the 3-6 winner, regardless of upsets.

Okay, so they do re-seed. Good. Assuming New Jersey beats Carolina (no offense to LN7, but I see no way around that outcome), Philly would not draw New York in round two.

My first round prediction.

Eastern Conference 1/4 finals:

Ott vs N.Y.R. = N.Y. in 6
Wash vs Bos = Bos in 5
N.J. vs Flo = N.J. in 6
Phi vs Pitt = Pitt in 6

Western Conference 1/4 finals

L.A. vs Van = Van in 6
S.J. vs St-L = St-L. in 5
Chi vs Phoe = Chi in 6
Det vs Nash = Det in 6

I'm not sold on Yakupov, so if they get the number 1 pick, part of me hopes they trade it for someone with more immediate impact. I'm checking out Grigorenko out live in a few hours, so I'll see what he's about, although a tall centre is exactly what the Habs have lacked for decades. Other than that, I like Forsberg at the #4 or #5 slot, so if the Habs get that pick, I'd be happy with him.

Anyways I have NJ beating Florida, but I know for certain that the Panthers could easily beat NJ. I have no idea what you mean by 'no way around that'. Take a look at the season series. The Devils are nothing to write home about.

It could be a sweep, it could be a 7 game series. Some series are going to be very interesting (Philly/Pit, Nash/Det), but none of them are going to be as uncertain as NJ/Fla. That's not coming from a Florida fan point of view... that's coming from a hockey fan point of view. It is easily the hardest series to call with a game count in all of the playoffs at the moment.

Think the Canucks can go up against long series with LA and then Chicago, considering their banged-up roster?

Yes, I think they have more depth than this time last year. Just how banged up is our Roster anyway? other than Daniel & Keith Ballard most of the other guys have just played small roles througout the season anyways.

I think the Canucks will make it out of the first round in 6 games, from then on however, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom