National Hockey League 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to Habs and Flyers round 2 this Monday. Hope someone injures Mike Richards.

That was a very fitting tribute before the game tonight. Burns got the Leafs as far as they have gone in my lifetime. The dude will forever rule.

And as for changing loyalties.. I don't think it will ever really work. I'm a Leafs fan, always will be. Great pace so far!

The Isles, at least, are supposed to be bad. What's the Devils' excuse? I can't believe they're tied for 2nd worst team in the NHL. :huh:

Wow. It doesn't get any better (or worse) for the Islanders.

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering what he was apologizing about later on in the game. I didn't think his comments were that bad. It sucks when the season is over and it's only November. :sad:

"Not that I particulalry care...." love it. Might be my new catchphrase. When you've lost 13 straight, you've got to expect some gallows humor. Though knowing the way Wang and Snow have been going, Howie will be crucified right after the National Anthem.

Angry fans in South Florida right now as the PP has gone 0-26 and is ranked dead last in the NHL.

Fire Jim Hulton seems to be the next in line for the revolving door down here!

I love the Spectrum, but it's sort of like the Vet where you really can't get mad about it going down. Half of the second deck was unusable, the whole concourse was falling apart ... it was time. Supposedly they're making restaurants and shit there, which might be cool since literally the only restaurant in walking distance is McFadden's in CBP. Sucks that we had to lose the Phantoms, though.

Carey Price is really shutting up the haters (yes, I was one of them). The guy's been playing his butt off. I guess he was the right choice after all (playoffs pending of course).

Taylor Hall is looking better and better with every passing game. The guy is going to be a superstar.

since there's no college hockey thread, i'll post here how cool watching michigan/michagan state from the big house is :up:

i watched a period and a half. then i went swimming

december :up:

say... is there a chance for a team from quebec to return to the NHL by any chance?

si vous plait!:cute:

Sure there's a chance. There's some teams from the South who could be looking to relocate in the next few seasons. Depends what kind of lease they have. The Islanders are locked into the Nassau Coliseum until 2015.

Atlanta, Nashville, Florida and Carolina come to mind though.

Last Saturday night, about 1,100 Quebec Nordique fans trekked to the Islander/Thrasher game on Long Island to show the NHL they could support a team. Hell, if it wasn't for the Quebec fans, attendance that night would have been below 9,000.

Sure there's a chance. There's some teams from the South who could be looking to relocate in the next few seasons. Depends what kind of lease they have. The Islanders are locked into the Nassau Coliseum until 2015.

Atlanta, Nashville, Florida and Carolina come to mind though.

Last Saturday night, about 1,100 Quebec Nordique fans trekked to the Islander/Thrasher game on Long Island to show the NHL they could support a team. Hell, if it wasn't for the Quebec fans, attendance that night would have been below 9,000.

Just as the Islanders are locked up, Florida was locked up to the BankAtlantic Center in 2000 to a 30-year lease. It would cost millions, if not hundreds of millions, to buy out at this point. They're secure in Florida.

The only teams with real issues are Phoenix and Nashville. Most places, while some love to speculate (because they hate small market teams), aren't going anywhere. Atlanta isn't too far behind with the god awful showing of attendance they've gotten this year (3 games have broken NHL record lows).

Just as the Islanders are locked up, Florida was locked up to the BankAtlantic Center in 2000 to a 30-year lease. It would cost millions, if not hundreds of millions, to buy out at this point. They're secure in Florida.

The only teams with real issues are Phoenix and Nashville. Most places, while some love to speculate (because they hate small market teams), aren't going anywhere. Atlanta isn't too far behind with the god awful showing of attendance they've gotten this year (3 games have broken NHL record lows).

How is Tampa Bay doing?

Last I checked there they had big ownership issues, been shuffling around from owners, but I dont know the status of their security.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say they're pretty secure in Tampa. In 'the hockey world' if you will, never any rumblings about either Florida teams being moved (except for the ignorant ones you'll run across on HFboards, who will be all like 'z0mg they should just move them from Florida nobody likes hockey there').

Point being said, if you'll ever see a team being moved in the close coming years, it's between Nashville and Phoenix. Other than that, you'd need a real disastar such as what's happening in Atlanta right now. I'm sure their sales are plummeting.

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely not rooting for a team to leave Florida or anywhere else for that matter. It would be nice to see a team go to Quebec though.

No problem.

Actually, a few years ago Nashville was so far in jeapordy and was up for sale. Almost got bought out and shipped to Hamilton, Ontario.

Gary Bettman is really against relocation though. Big supporter of small market teams.

The Atlanta situation is not that grim. Yes....in the middle of the week, people do not go to games (Thrashers AND Hawks) unless it is top tier competitor. But, they have decent corporate sponsorship, corporate suite holders and a season ticket base.

The season ticket base did take a hit last year, but the walk up sales have been rising this year with success on ice.

Atlanta has something Nashville and Raleigh do not have - a LARGE number of potential corporate sponsors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom