National Hockey League 2009 - 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bye Bye Buff :(

Still, it was inevitable that we'd lose somebody this offseason and, honestly, as much as I love Byfuglien, I'd rather see him go than say...Sharp. So, we'll see. We freed up some money with the deal.

No, Flyers. The Ducks have all our picks...oddly I'm still looking forward to the draft though.

Those picks came in the Pronger trade, right? Given the past season are you happy you gave up a slice of the future for Pronger? I would think so.

Still, i think they made make a trade, a Gagne perhaps, to get a pick. They need a promising goalie prospect, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they would make a play for American goalie Jack Campbell.

I really hope not. Trading Carter, coming off 2 broken feet, would be colossally stupid (unless they got a top-line winger in return I suppose, say Bobby Ryan).

Those picks came in the Pronger trade, right? Given the past season are you happy you gave up a slice of the future for Pronger? I would think so.

Still, i think they made make a trade, a Gagne perhaps, to get a pick. They need a promising goalie prospect, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they would make a play for American goalie Jack Campbell.

Oh absolutely, glad they did the deal. I think they'll try to find a goalie, I've heard all kinds of names (Quick, Vokoun, Schneider, Tim Thomas). With their window being now, and maybe the next couple of years while Pronger & Timonen are at the top of their game, they really need to add a veteran goalie who's at least reliable.

You happy with the Plekanec deal? I thought the number was a little high, but seeing what Marleau got it doesn't look bad at all.

You happy with the Plekanec deal? I thought the number was a little high, but seeing what Marleau got it doesn't look bad at all.

No, I'm not happy with the deal for a number of reasons. First, it's apparent that Halak was traded with that deal in mind. I don't really care that Halak was traded, because I still believe in Carey Price. But what they got in return bothers me, although I understand that it was a salary cap issue, and they wanted to sign Plekanec long term.

But I'm resigned to the fact that Montreal will have to overpay to keep or attract free agents. And a lot of that is because every player in the league knows that playing in Montreal means the spotlight is on you 24/7 win or lose. If you lose, however, the media will viciously tear you to shreds. It's probably why a lot of players that leave end up performing better elsewhere.

Beav, the consensus among some of the experts is that the Islanders got a good one, a possible complement to Tavares in Nino Niederreiter. Their 30th pick is a bit of a project, though, and that could go either way.

Also, what was Kevin Connolly from Entourage doing at the Islanders table? He went on stage with Garth Snow and even announced the 30th pick. I found that a little odd, but then you know how odd Charles Wang is.

As for Montreal, they moved up to pick defenseman Jarred Tinordi, son of former NHLer Mark. I love the pick. They need size and they need depth on defence.

Beav, the consensus among some of the experts is that the Islanders got a good one, a possible complement to Tavares in Nino Niederreiter. Their 30th pick is a bit of a project, though, and that could go either way.

Also, what was Kevin Connolly from Entourage doing at the Islanders table? He went on stage with Garth Snow and even announced the 30th pick. I found that a little odd, but then you know how odd Charles Wang is.

As for Montreal, they moved up to pick defenseman Jarred Tinordi, son of former NHLer Mark. I love the pick. They need size and they need depth on defence.

No idea what E was doing there. I know they pull him out for a lot of things. I guess they had space at the table, and he had nothing better to do. He did a nice job calling the pick though. Seemed very relaxed. Lots of GMs stumble through it.

I like the throw of the dice for Kabanov too. That should be interesting.

No, I'm not happy with the deal for a number of reasons. First, it's apparent that Halak was traded with that deal in mind. I don't really care that Halak was traded, because I still believe in Carey Price. But what they got in return bothers me, although I understand that it was a salary cap issue, and they wanted to sign Plekanec long term.

But I'm resigned to the fact that Montreal will have to overpay to keep or attract free agents. And a lot of that is because every player in the league knows that playing in Montreal means the spotlight is on you 24/7 win or lose. If you lose, however, the media will viciously tear you to shreds. It's probably why a lot of players that leave end up performing better elsewhere.

Yeah, the Halak trade was a surprise to me. I thought they could do better, selling high off his great playoffs. Was there much concern that he might leave for the KHL? I was thinking that might have killed his trade value a little.

I think the pressure/spotlight up there probably scares some guys away, but I imagine there's guys who look at it as a challenge and an opportunity, like when Curt Schilling came to the Red Sox, or when Messier came to the Rangers. But it's definitely not for everybody; we'll see how Sergei fares in Nashville.

He's probably the only piece they'd trade that they can get a top-of-the-line guy for.

Very true. I think they could get excellent value if they wanted to trade JVR, but with the cap they wouldn't be able to pay whoever they got in return.

Right. And as the playoffs showed, they can do fine without Carter, especially if they get something good in return.

I'm really excited about the possibility of a full season with the Hartnell-Briere-Leino line. That was absolute magic during the postseason.

No idea what E was doing there. I know they pull him out for a lot of things. I guess they had space at the table, and he had nothing better to do. He did a nice job calling the pick though. Seemed very relaxed. Lots of GMs stumble through it.

I like the throw of the dice for Kabanov too. That should be interesting.

Is it too much to ask that we win a fucking playoff series in a year or two? I mean, I'm a patient fan, but, fuck, this is getting a little tiresome. 1993, Mike.

You stockpile enough top draft picks, you'd like to think you eventually get better.

That's really hard to believe. Kind of like the Pirates not having a winning season since Bonds left.

That '93 series was fun though, huge upset.

That's really hard to believe. Kind of like the Pirates not having a winning season since Bonds left.

That '93 series was fun though, huge upset.

Beating the Penguins was great....losing to the Habs was not.

:(

And, yes, it's very hard to believe that any hockey franchise could go that long without winning a playoff series, let alone one that had once upon a time been a bit of a dynasty. At least I don't have to sit through too many games in person, unlike Beav. But I do keep the faith.

You stockpile enough top draft picks, you'd like to think you eventually get better.

Much like the resurgence of previously moribund franchises in hockey markets like Chicago and Pittsburgh has been good for the NHL, a similar rise on Long Island would be fantastic. And I hope it happens, too. They also need that Lighthouse project to get the green light, and soon.

Yet it's always funny how some franchises seem to defy the cyclical nature of sports. Teams like the Clippers, Lions, and Pirates never seem to get better, no matter what they do. Here's hoping the Islanders can break out of this cycle.

Beating the Penguins was great....losing to the Habs was not.

I beg to differ. :)

Much like the resurgence of previously moribund franchises in hockey markets like Chicago and Pittsburgh has been good for the NHL, a similar rise on Long Island would be fantastic. And I hope it happens, too. They also need that Lighthouse project to get the green light, and soon.

Yet it's always funny how some franchises seem to defy the cyclical nature of sports. Teams like the Clippers, Lions, and Pirates never seem to get better, no matter what they do. Here's hoping the Islanders can break out of this cycle.

I beg to differ. :)

I forget if it was the decisive game, or the penultimate game, but you guys had like 14 men on the ice for the game winning goal and it bothers me still. Not that it mattered, we'd have lost anyway but still.

Also, thanks to that fucking bastard Dale Hunter, Turgeon was nowhere near full strength for that series. For a 5 game series it was pretty hard fought, though.

Is it too much to ask that we win a fucking playoff series in a year or two? I mean, I'm a patient fan, but, fuck, this is getting a little tiresome. 1993, Mike.

I think they'll make a playoff run this year. Next year, they'll be in it. Year after that, they won't suck balls. So...2013 or so. That will be 20 years. Dear Lord.

Fuck Dale Hunter. And Fuck Darcy Tucker. It will probably Phaneuf taking out our best player next time. Good thing we have Trevor Gillies to beat his bitch ass down now..... :(

Free Agency tomorrow. My two top picks, Plekanic and Marleau, not available. There's always Volencenek (if we sign him, I promise I'll learn how to spell it) aaannndddd.....Eric Nystrom would be cool, I guess, even if it's just the nostalgia factor. At least he plays hard.

One thing about Garth Snow - you never know. I like 'em. I also like EL NINO as our pick. Seems like a great kid.

The Leafs,the longest stanley cup drought...The Leafs,the longest stanley cup drought.....The Leafs,the longest stanley cup drought...The Leafs,the longest stanley cup drought..

This is such good music to my ears :D

Rip.

Former NHL enforcer Probert pronounced dead

TSN.ca staff

7/5/2010 5:01:54 pm

The OPP have confirmed that former NHL enforcer Bob Probert has died after being rushed to hospital with vital signs absent after collapsing in a boat on lake St. Clair on Monday.

Windsor radio station am 800 CKLW first reported that emergency crews performed CPR on the former Red Wings and Blackhawks' forward and then transported him to Windsor Regional Hospital where efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

The Probert family has called a news conference at 6pm local time at Windsor Regional Hospital to issue a statement.

One of the most feared fighters in the history of the NHL, the Windsor native scored 163 goals and added 221 assists and whopping 3,300 penalty minutes in 935 career NHL games.

While Probert's bouts with the likes of Tie Domi and Marty Mcsorley were legendary, he was also an incredibly skilled player who played in the 1988 NHL All-Star game. A star on the ice, Probert battled his demons off the ice, including well documented problems with the law as well as alcohol and substance abuse.

Probert was 45 years old.

A couple of observations about the NHL Draft and free agency so far:

1. Boston can suck it. Seriously, take Tyler Seguin, I really don't care. I wish that the Toronto media would give it a fucking rest already. I wasn't all that pleased with the trade in the first place but what is done is done. Can we please stop talking about it now?

2. Kovulchuck needs to make up his fucking mind already and sign with someone stupid enough to pay him. Seriously, dude is holding up a lot of other possible trades, just pick LA or NJ and get your $100 million over the next 15 or 17 years or whatever. It blows my mind that this greedy little fool will be making more than Ovechkin or Crosby after this...

3. I'm actually pretty pleased with where the Leafs are at this point. We are lacking in the top 6 but defensively and in goal we are looking good. If Burke can work some magic trading Kaberle for a top 6 forward we actually could compete for a playoff spot this season.

4. The Calgary Flames are fucked. Seriously, what is Sutter smoking over there? Jokinen and Tanguay are your big moves? Good luck with that...

1. Boston can suck it. Seriously, take Tyler Seguin, I really don't care. I wish that the Toronto media would give it a fucking rest already. I wasn't all that pleased with the trade in the first place but what is done is done. Can we please stop talking about it now?

If Seguin ends up being the player many think he will become, then this is only the beginning. Better get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom