"My Sweet Lord"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
52706.76Chocolate-Jesus.sff.jpg

"My Sweet Lord," a chocolate statue by artist Cosimo Cavallaro of a naked Jesus hangs at Ranieriís Sculpture Casting studio Thursday, March 29, 2007 in New York

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1120AP_Chocolate_Jesus.html?source=mypi

"Take, eat. This is my body."?

Tom Waits, George Harrison and Michelangelo Buonarroti references all in one...

I assume there isn't any actual tradition of such a candy however?

I wonder why the "artist" didn't favor us with a rendering of a chocolate Mohammed?

Oh, I know, because he didn't want to have to
icon_hiding.gif
for the next 10 years.

Yeah, the possibility that Easter is a Christian holiday is probably too far fetched.

Vincent Vega said:
Yeah, the possibility that Easter is a Christian holiday is probably too far fetched.

Vincent, you should have read the article.

"We're obviously surprised by the overwhelming response and offense people have taken," said Semler, adding that the Holy Week timing was a coincidence.

Not that I believe that for a second.

By the way, did you get a chance to see Mozart's Idomeneo last Fall at the opera house before Muslim protests closed it down?

I've read another article, and there was no mention about the "coincidence" :)

There were no Muslim protests at all.
The only thing was that the Secretary of the Interior called the manager of the opera house saying that he was afraid the Idemeneo could cause an attack by Muslims and he suggested the showing be cancelled. The manager did so, but in fact there were no threats at all.
A few months later the Idemeneo showing came back into the prgramme, and there was no uproar at all. Just nothing.

And there have never been any protests.

But I'm not interested in opera music or anything of that kind, so I have no intentions to go there.

Irvine511 said:
the really offensive thing would be if the naked Jesus had a penis.

:shrug:
The artwork was created from more than 200 pounds of milk chocolate, and it features Christ with his arms outstretched. The Cavallaro creation does not include a loincloth.

I think it is fine if people want to complain, be offended and get this thing taken down.

It won't be any real loss for 'freedom of expression".

Bottom line for me?
I guess they have the right to create and display this.

And public pressure should be allowed to influence it being taken down.

Vincent Vega said:
I've read another article, and there was no mention about the "coincidence" :)

There were no Muslim protests at all.
The only thing was that the Secretary of the Interior called the manager of the opera house saying that he was afraid the Idemeneo could cause an attack by Muslims and he suggested the showing be cancelled. The manager did so, but in fact there were no threats at all.
A few months later the Idemeneo showing came back into the prgramme, and there was no uproar at all. Just nothing.

But I'm not interested in opera music or anything of that kind, so I have no intentions to go there.

Damn glad to hear that sanity prevailed. And I agree with you about opera, except when Bono sings it of coarse.:wink:

My goodness, that gives a new meaning to eating the Body of Christ. Hey, Father, hold that wafer, I found a sweeter one.
Just joking! I'm Catholic and wouldn't want to offend any of my fellow Catholics.

Vincent Vega said:

I'm glad there were no protests. And I'm not an opera fan, either.

Chocolate Jesus Bites The Dust

Associated Press, March 30, 2007

NEW YORK--A planned Holy Week exhibition of a nude, anatomically correct chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ was canceled Friday amid a choir of complaining Catholics that included Cardinal Edward Egan. The "My Sweet Lord" display was shut down by the hotel that houses the Lab Gallery in midtown Manhattan, said Matt Semler, the gallery's creative director...Bill Donohue, head of the watchdog Catholic League, said it was "one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever."

The hotel and the gallery were overrun Thursday with angry phone calls and e-mails about the exhibit. Semler said the calls included death threats over the work of artist Cosimo Cavallaro, who was described as disappointed by the decision to cancel the display. "In this situation, the hotel couldn't continue to be supportive because of a fear for their own safety," Semler said.

Last edited:
How strong is your faith in jesus when you can be angry at such thing as a chocolate jesus ?

:sad:

On Cnn, there was an interview with the artist. He said he was a Christian and the sculpture was a testament to his faith.

The Catholic League people seemed offended more by the penis(nudity) than anything else...

kimby said:
On Cnn, there was an interview with the artist. He said he was a Christian and the sculpture was a testament to his faith.

I read about him in the paper today. His past works have included painting a hotel room with melted mozzarella, spraying 5 tons of pepper jack cheese on a house in Wyoming, and putting 312 pounds of processed ham on a four poster bed. So apparently he has a thing for food..

It doesn't make me angry or bend me out of shape all that much, but a naked chocolate Jesus just isn't all that appealing to me. It's certainly not as offensive as piss Christ-but that's what some people do as art and consider art. It's art, it doesn't bother me all that much in the grand scheme of things. I don't consider what this guy does with food to have all that much artistic merit, but that's my personal taste.

I do love chocolate.

I don't like the processed ham, but the mozzarella and pepper jack cheese imagery is making me hungry.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Jump to conclusions much?

Indy made a fair point.

Artists who offend Islam get brutally murdered.

Artists who offend Christianity get stiff letters from 'outraged of Tunbridge Wells'.

It has to do with some respect for other cultures or religions.

The Islamic religion asks not to portray Muhammad. So out of respect you shouldn't do it.

I've never heard that the Christian religion has generally a problem with protraying Jesus.

And the artist himself said that as a Christian it had to do with his faith.

There are fundamentalist Islamists, and also serious idiots.

You'll find the same with Christians.

I don't know about all these artists that got murdered over the last decades.

Probably you will come up with the fatwa against Salman Rushdie, but this came from Ajatollah Chomeini, so its a bad example.

The Danish cartoonists are still alive. And I'm sure if they portrayed Jesus as a suicide bomber and such the outcry amongst Christians would be similar.

Vincent Vega said:
It has to do with some respect for other cultures or religions.

The Islamic religion asks not to portray Muhammad. So out of respect you shouldn't do it.

I'll offend Muhammad - a long dead historical figure, and allegedly a mass murderer - any time it pleases me, thanks.

This is, after all, 'free Europe'.

I don't know about all these artists that got murdered over the last decades.

Probably you will come up with the fatwa against Salman Rushdie, but this came from Ajatollah Chomeini, so its a bad example.

Whoah, hold on there a sec. :huh:

Surely you heard of the murder of Theo van Gogh?

The Danish cartoonists are still alive. And I'm sure if they portrayed Jesus as a suicide bomber and such the outcry amongst Christians would be similar. [/B]

Sorry, but that's nonsense. The outcry amongst Christians would in no way be similar. Granted, there would be protests, but there wouldn't be terroristic threats to kill the cartoonists, kill the enemies of Christianity, etc.

Back
Top Bottom