my boyfriend's parents think he's going to hell, how can i help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
So my boyfriend’s parents came to visit last weekend. I’ve met them before, and we got along well. I’ve mentioned that my BF is from the rural south, he grew up borderline poor, as well as southern Baptist. Coming out was hard for him, especially from a cultural perspective, but it’s been a few years and all seems to have gotten better. They even invited me to come visit over the summer, and they do seem to like me.

And, more importantly, they continue to love the BF. Very much. He’s quite successful, was one of the few people from his high school to go college, and one of the very few people from his (very large) extended family who lives outside of the Memphis area he grew up in.

So, at the end of the weekend, his mother gave him his grandmother’s old King James Bible. He opened it, and inside was a note from her to him. She said that she wanted him to read this Bible, to take note of the different passages both she and her mother had highlighted and underlined over the years. She also said that the Bible does specifically address homosexuality several times, and that she knows that he is, truly, a child of God. He was raised with The Word. He was not born this way. The Devil plays terrible tricks on people, and that, with God, all things are possible.

She wanted him to read the typical passages people point to when they’re looking for a reason to make gay people feel like shit (Leveticus, Romans, Paul, etc.), and she then said that she wished he’d seek counseling with the preacher at her church. She reiterated, several times, how much she and the family loved him, no matter what, and they would always stand by him, but she wanted him to change, because he is still a child of God, even though he’s gay, and that she wouldn’t be a good mother if she didn’t tell him about the Bible and what was possible with God.

Putting aside my own personal feelings for a moment, I saw this as a very sincere expression of culture. If my parents, who are northeastern and semi-urban and somewhat lapsed Catholic, were to pull this on me, I’d see it as them being petty and selfish and self-absorbed, of putting their own concerns and fears ahead of my happiness in a very, “but what would the neighbors think” kind of way.

This letter, however, seemed filled with equal parts sincerity and fear. She genuinely believes this stuff, and genuinely believes he’s being controlled, in some way, by the Devil.

So how to deal with this? Ultimately, it’s his issue to deal with, and I’ll be supportive no matter what, but this seems harder to brush aside. This very rural, very humble, very sincere expression of faith seems, to me, to be miles away from the suburban mega-church pomposity of the Family Research Council and James Dobson. I actually feel sympathy for her to a large degree, and feel as if she is feeling acute, and legitimate, pain and anguish.

Now, this ultimately isn’t my business, and I’d never say anything unless asked, but I’d like to grab her by the collar, scream in her face, call her ignorant, backwards, borderline illiterate, and to shut that goddamn book and use her eyes and her head and her heart, to use those things to actually think, instead of just seeking the comfort of thoughtless, unexamined faith. Or, I’d like to sit her down (perhaps with some of Melon’s always astute Biblical analysis) and really go over the passages, because they don’t mean what she thinks they mean; or, rather, that they don’t mean what other people have told her they mean.

Or, maybe, I’d like to sit her down and tell her about how wonderful her son is, what a great mother she’s obviously been, and that I know she loves him and is proud of him, and that her church and preacher is simply wrong about their beliefs about homosexuality. But how do you do this? How do you get people to believe and trust in themselves and not authoritarian institutions like the church?

I know he suffers. I know he says he isn’t bothered too much by it, that they simply come from a different place, but last night, in the middle of the night, he said that he couldn’t believe his own mother thought he was the Devil. Or that the Devil is working inside him. "My own mother," he said, with a combination of sadness and bewilderment.

I want to help her, and through helping her, I will be helping him. I know there’s not much I can do, unless asked, but if anyone has any advice, experience, or anything to add to help me address this, and help me help my probable eventual husband (yes, I think this relationship is very long-term), I would really appreciate it.

:( I honestly don't know what to say to people like that. I have a good friend in the same situation. He's gay and everyone knows it, but his parents are super religious, very conservative, and just can't accept that HE IS GAY. THey love him and support him, but act like they are in complete denial. Personally, I think it's just fear that comes from ignorance. They can't explain it away with religion, so therefore they're not willing to accept it. It's not a "lifestyle", it's not the Devil - Bob is GAY.

:(

I don't have any good advice, I've never been through anything like that or had friends/relatives who have. But I do know what my relationship with my faith and with God has brought to me and how it has made love and compassion so important to me. I have the opposite perspective of his mother, so I don't know what to say except for this-that as much as you want to help her, and as admirable as that and your understanding for her is, you can't help her in my opinion-she has to help herself. She has to make the decision to see the love of God for what it is and what it means vs some highlighted Bible passages. She has to decide that her son's well being and self esteem is more important than said Bible passages, and maybe ultimately decide that she does not want to lose her son forever if it ever came to that. Maybe he would consider writing her a letter and telling her how hurtful it is to him that she thinks that way, if he can't talk to her. I don't understand how a letter like that wouldn't trump everything else for a mother. I just can't understand that.

Show up at Thanksgiving with red pointy horns...:wink:

.......or not. My guess is that the humor approach is not going to work here....:sad:

Maybe another visual: A list with two columns. On one side, "All The Things You Can Be Proud Of Me (or Memphis--depends on who makes it) For." Here you list the billions of reasons, from big---successful, etc.; to small; to touching---"will love you and take care of you no matter what happens;" and finally, at the very very bottom of the list---"because I'm/he's your son."

On the other column: "Reasons you're ashamed of me." Here, you list only one thing----"I'm/Memphis is gay."

At the bottom of the page goes a note. Something like: "Please see me as more than just one thing." or "Please love me for all that I am."

Sure, kind of cheesy. But it would tug on the heartstrings...:shrug: I think it'd have the most impact if he made it & not you, though if he's not up to bringing this to a head, you could do it, too.

No matter what you guys do-------:hug:

i suppose i'm worried about two things:

1. they continually make him aware of how much they love him and how proud they are -- as well they should be. how can this be leveraged into a means of understanding and acceptance? ultimately, i think the church hurts them more than they hurt him.

2. as concerns whatever role i might have, and this also applies to Memphis as well as to his parents, i don't want to come off as an effete liberal urban intellectual spoiled bougeoisie snob. i already feel small amounts of class tensions with his parents, and i don't want to condescend to them, nor do i want to be dismissive of them to Memphis as if they are just uneducated hicks. they're not. (well, they are, but they're not stereotypes ... they work hard, are devout, are not hateful, do not drink, go to church, love thier children and grandchildren, save their money, and simply do the best they can ... just like me, minus the devout and the drinking part and the going to church ;) ).

:sigh:

Irvine511 said:
i suppose i'm worried about two things:

1. they continually make him aware of how much they love him and how proud they are -- as well they should be. how can this be leveraged into a means of understanding and acceptance? ultimately, i think the church hurts them more than they hurt him.

Without throwing too much of an FYM argument in here.....This is one example of a problem I've seen too often: people claiming that they are so religious, and yet not really practicing; people saying they believe in Christ, etc., whatever, but not really knowing what on earth they're talking about. My wife has two colleagues who are so "devout"--they even run a bible study at work (another FYM issue, IMO..)--and yet both of them are total dicks when it comes to working with other people. They're totally missing the point of all that they're "believing."

It seems to me that his parents are doing two big things: 1). Acting in the name of their faith without really recognizing the most important part of their faith---compassion for all; and 2). Saying that they love him, but not really, fully loving him.

2. as concerns whatever role i might have, and this also applies to Memphis as well as to his parents, i don't want to come off as an effete liberal urban intellectual spoiled bougeoisie snob. i already feel small amounts of class tensions with his parents, and i don't want to condescend to them, nor do i want to be dismissive of them to Memphis as if they are just uneducated hicks.

This is why, as painful as it is to sit and watch, IMO you can't do too much of the fighting for him yourself. It's got to be Memphis' battle, with you in uber-support mode. I feel like if you got too involved, they'd write you off as not worth listening to, or worse--perhaps the one "corrupting" their son, etc. :sad:

I guess the ideal situation would be for her to have an opportunity to hear from some fellow committed Christian parents of gay sons who've wrestled with the same issues, but come to different conclusions than she has thus far. Who knows what her response to that might be, but I think someone in that sort of situation would be best placed to speak to her where she's at. But as to how one might go about making that happen--I simply don't know. Perhaps you could try contacting, and running the situation by, one of these folks here? There are Baptist pastors in both Memphis and DC listed on there.

Personally, like MrsS, I can't relate to how this kind of thinking about what the Bible is for, and what it does and doesn't reveal about God's plan, could trump the awareness of how deeply you're hurting your own child by framing what you don't understand about them as Satan's work. And Utoo is right that Memphis himself is really the best person to convey that hurt to his mother. But nonetheless, I know there are parents who can sit there and hear all that hurt expressed and still believe in these explanations, I guess because they attribute the hurt to the Devil as well. The fact that Memphis has a high professional status is irrelevant, really: I'd be just as disturbed by the situation if he were a gas station attendant and you a hardware store clerk, and in her own way I'm sure his mother would be, too; this has to do with what matters most to her--his soul, not his mind or his wallet. And probably everything she's ever been taught or exposed to tells her that his soul is on the wrong path. It's likely not a question of authoritarianism, really; from my own experience with these sorts of communities, it's not so much that they ruthlessly attack dissenters as that the social worlds they anchor are small and inward-looking and self-perpetuating in a symbiotic way. One's church is everything in these places; it's where friendships are made, where helping hands in a crisis are extended, where the shame of being poor and ignoble is temporarily forgotten; they're the folks who'll lay you to rest and speak well of you when you go, because who the hell else will--it's just everything. I know you understand that, and it's a credit to your insight into people very different from you that you do. But this is why I think she really needs to hear it from someone who speaks her language. Failing that, I think the only thing you can really do is accept that her fixations exist, discuss your distress over it with a therapist if that helps you, and then move on with what really matters, which is your life together and where it's headed.

:hug:

If religion is how she wants to condemn your bf's behavior, then go ahead and play her field!!!

Here are some neat things to point out to her:
Jesus says nothing about same-sex behavior.
The Jewish prophets are silent about homosexuality.
Only six or seven of the Bible's one million verses refer to same-sex behavior in any way -- and none of these verses refer to homosexual orientation as it's understood today.

Also, the Bible accepts sexual practices that we condemn and condemns sexual practices that we accept...
DEUTERONOMY 22:13-21
If it is discovered that a bride is not a virgin, the Bible demands that she be executed by stoning immediately.
DEUTERONOMY 22:22
If a married person has sex with someone else's husband or wife, the Bible commands that both adulterers be stoned to death.
MARK 10:1-12
Divorce is strictly forbidden in both Testaments, as is remarriage of anyone who has been divorced.
LEVITICUS 18:19
The Bible forbids a married couple from having sexual intercourse during a woman's period. If they disobey, both shall be executed.
MARK 12:18-27
If a man dies childless, his widow is ordered by biblical law to have intercourse with each of his brothers in turn until she bears her deceased husband a male heir.
DEUTERONOMY 25:11-12
If a man gets into a fight with another man and his wife seeks to rescue her husband by grabbing the enemy's genitals, her hand shall be cut off and no pity shall be shown her

I mean, in this day and age, those don't make a whole lot of sense.

But there's more!!! The Bible says clearly that sex with a prostitute is acceptable for the husband but not for the wife. Polygamy (more than one wife) is acceptable, as is a king's having many concubines. (Solomon, the wisest king of all, had 1,000 concubines.) Slavery and sex with slaves, marriage of girls aged 11-13, and treatment of women as property are all accepted practices in the Scriptures. On the other hand, there are strict prohibitions against interracial marriage, birth control, discussing or even naming a sexual organ, and seeing one's parents nude.

I'm not telling you to go right to her and tell her that her Bible is false. But rather than relying on a literal interpretation, she should instead go back to her original statement that your bf is a child of God. Truly loving her son does not involve denying him of who he is.

It seems to me in time they will accept this, if not embrace it. They may need a lot of time to get used to the idea. But it seems their love for him is strong.

Simply, he needs to ignore it. Tell them constantly how much he loves them and tell them once that he wants to please them, but he cannot please them in this. The more he addresses it, the more he tries to logic them, the bigger the wall on this issue.
For now, he'll have to accept that this is one part of his life they are having trouble accepting. The more emotional either of you become on this issue, the more vulnerable he becomes to emotional manipulation however sincere the attempt.

Thank his mother for the letter, thank her for the Bible, thank her for her concern. Maybe, as Yolland suggested, direct her to someone who speaks her language. But understand this may always be an issue, but the energy will drain out of it eventually. This is a grieving process for her. His greatest weapon will be his happiness.

I always liked a line from East of Eden that went something like this..."I would die for you, but I can't live for you."

Back
Top Bottom