Muse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, I leave the thread for a few hours and it's grown into a Muse vs Radiohead monster yet again, :wink:

I like Radiohead and LOVE Muse; can't say if any of them is better than the other since to me their music and what they try to achieve with their music is vastly different when you look at the big picture. I think that people who compare Muse to Radiohead concetrate way too much on the things they have in common (which they do) and ignore the myriad of other influences and elements in their music which become more and more diverse - 70s Queen, Rage Against the Machine, classical, 80s electronics, 50s surf-rock, flamenco, etc. I personally think that Muse have way much more in common with Queen, not in a sense that they sound like them but more in terms of "spirit" if that makes sense. They're both unafraid to embrace the ridiculousness and flamboyance of BIG rock music. Which is maybe why my Queen-loving brother who couldn't care less about most of the contemporary rock loves them.

I definitely agree that Muse rock harder in a way Radiohead never really did, and yes I've heard Radiohead's rockier stuff and no I don't think it makes Muse "better". To me, Radiohead sound just way too tasteful even when they do crank it up; IMO you need a touch of vulgarity to properly rock, :)

As for Matt's appearance, I think he's got the kind of strange quirky features that, depending on angle and lighting, can look strikingly handsome or fugly as sin. He's always interesting to look at anyway and I way prefer that to conventional attractiveness. Unlike annie_vox, I think Matt got so much better-looking with age especially after he's put on a teensy bit of weight, :)

Saracene said:
Jesus, I leave the thread for a few hours and it's grown into a Muse vs Radiohead monster yet again, :wink:

I like Radiohead and LOVE Muse; can't say if any of them is better than the other since to me their music and what they try to achieve with their music is vastly different when you look at the big picture. I think that people who compare Muse to Radiohead concetrate way too much on the things they have in common (which they do) and ignore the myriad of other influences and elements in their music which become more and more diverse - 70s Queen, Rage Against the Machine, classical, 80s electronics, 50s surf-rock, flamenco, etc. I personally think that Muse have way much more in common with Queen, not in a sense that they sound like them but more in terms of "spirit" if that makes sense. They're both unafraid to embrace the ridiculousness and flamboyance of BIG rock music. Which is maybe why my Queen-loving brother who couldn't care less about most of the contemporary rock loves them.

very good points made. I never got the Muse-Radiohead comparisons really. Beyond Bellamy's voice they really don't sound much alike. Maybe a couple songs do, especially earlier stuff, but from Absolution on there really is only a minor Radiohead influence compared to all of their other influences.

the comparison to Queen is spot-on :up: bombastic epic rock :rockon:

but as long as we're comparing Radiohead to Muse, I would say that Radiohead has mastered the art of the album much better than Muse has (though Absolution was pretty damn good). But I don't think Radiohead has come up with one single standout track I love as much as Hysteria :drool:

Since when did this thread turn into a contest about the lead singer's looks??? :down:

I enjoy both bands to an extent. I do like Radiohead more but I've also heard more of their stuff. Matt sounds the most like Thom on Time Is Running Out, which when I first heard at the gym back in 2004 or something I thought it was a new Radiohead song! That's where I think people are hearing the similarities, annie! :wink:

U2democrat said:
I put the poster up over my bed :drool:

It's kind of crooked but I had a hard enough time getting it to stay without falling so its staying that way :angry:
I thought it got crooked from you making out with 2D Matt :love: :heart:

:lmao:

No, sorry to burst your bubble :wink:

The shirt:
n31804491_30979295_8478.jpg

The poster:
n31804491_30979297_8968.jpg

Yes I still have some John Kerry on my wall...sometimes its hard to let go :angry::wink:

U2democrat said:
:lmao:

No, sorry to burst your bubble :wink:

The shirt:
n31804491_30979295_8478.jpg

The poster:
n31804491_30979297_8968.jpg

Yes I still have some John Kerry on my wall...sometimes its hard to let go :angry::wink:

Nicely done! :up: :flirt:

Zootlesque said:
Since when did this thread turn into a contest about the lead singer's looks??? :down:

I enjoy both bands to an extent. I do like Radiohead more but I've also heard more of their stuff. Matt sounds the most like Thom on Time Is Running Out, which when I first heard at the gym back in 2004 or something I thought it was a new Radiohead song! That's where I think people are hearing the similarities, annie! :wink:

:up: :up:

I don't get the "looks comparison" thing at all. Sweet Jesus...if that influences what you're listening to, that's the ugliest thing of all :huh:

I'm a tough critic, and I'll admit, I originally thought of Muse as Radiohead wannabes. They still may be, but they've carved out a niche all their own with sheer talent and energy on stage. Matt definitely has a few of Thom's vocalizations in his back pocket, but it's more of a sincere tribute to him rather than an outright copy.

As I see it, the huge divide between the two bands is the level of quirkiness/experimentation versus power of performance/showmanship. I gravitate towards the former, and Radiohead, but I'll be the first to tell anyone that Muse are absolutely brilliant. I've recruited my sister as a fan! I played her a few songs about a month ago during a visit, and she went out to the mall that very afternoon and bought their entire catalogue...powerful first impression :wink:

Personally I didn't like Radiohead years before I ever heard Muse. :shrug: I'll give it to them that they're an interesting and gifted group, but they've never done anything for me except with Creep.

Whatever...I'm hoping that most of the "battle" that we saw in here today was in jest...I know it was from my end. Tongue in cheek anyway.

As exciting as they are live...I hope Muse starts recording new tracks soon and that they don't leave us with such a drought the way U2 does.

angelordevil said:
I've recruited my sister as a fan! I played her a few songs about a month ago during a visit, and she went out to the mall that very afternoon and bought their entire catalogue...powerful first impression :wink:

:ohmy: Wow!!!

angelordevil said:

I've recruited my sister as a fan! I played her a few songs about a month ago during a visit, and she went out to the mall that very afternoon and bought their entire catalogue...powerful first impression :wink:

That's sort of how it was for me...I saw the Knights of Cydonia video and immediately bought BHAR, took one listen before I bought Absolution, and not long after that OOS and Hullaballoo. The more I listened the more I wanted...:drool:

Only U2 has had such an effect on me the way Muse has.

U2democrat said:

That's sort of how it was for me...I saw the Knights of Cydonia video and immediately bought BHAR, took one listen before I bought Absolution, and not long after that OOS and Hullaballoo. The more I listened the more I wanted...:drool:

Only U2 has had such an effect on me the way Muse has.

I think you would get along :wink: I actually played the Knights video for her earlier in the day, and she started cracking up with the whole western theme. In terms of songs, I think it was Starlight that hooked her most immediately. She's actually pretty hardcore now...in the Muse fan club, I think. I know she definitely signed up for something.

It should have been pretty obvious the "looks" debate was little more than a joke. I mean, look at who started and instigated the whole thing for Christs' sake. :rolleyes:

*cough*uglyfuckinbellamy*cough*

Lancemc said:
It should have been pretty obvious the "looks" debate was little more than a joke. I mean, look at who started and instigated the whole thing for Christs' sake. :rolleyes:

*cough*uglyfuckinbellamy*cough*

Zootlesque and the stick up his ass

can't take a joke :tsk:

angelordevil said:
Matt definitely has a few of Thom's vocalizations in his back pocket, but it's more of a sincere tribute to him rather than an outright copy.

I think it's more a case of common Jeff Buckley influence - to which Matt himself readily admits to - than Matt copying, or paying tribute to, Thom Yorke. Even if you look at Thom, his vocals change dramatically between their first and second albums. He didn't pioneer that particular vocal style.

I also think that Matt is much closer to Jeff Buckley than Thom Yorke as a vocalist in that they both have a much more pronounced vibrato and in general are more flamboyant singers. Although Buckley also had a more subtle, subdued side which Matt doesn't quite match,

Last edited:
Saracene said:

I think it's more a case of common Jeff Buckley influence - to which Matt himself readily admits to - than Matt copying, or paying tribute to, Thom Yorke. Even if you look at Thom, his vocals change dramatically between their first and second albums. He didn't pioneer that particular vocal style.

I also think that Matt is much closer to Jeff Buckley than Thom Yorke as a vocalist in that they both have a much more pronounced vibrato and in general are more flamboyant singers. Although Buckley also had a more subtle, subdued side which Matt doesn't quite match,

I fully agree... Jeff was an influence but still there are differences. In my opinion Matt's voice is more powerful but Jeff's is more beautiful.

And I also think he got better with age but I still preffer his old odd look, aka red hair:wink:

Geez! Chill, guys... I'm sorry if I came off too serious in my post. But I could not stand to read that looks based comparison even if it was a joke!

And besides, Lance... why would you start the sentence with "in all seriousness" if it was all a joke?

Lancemc said:
In all seriousness, Thom is just "odd" looking enough that I could see some women being very attracted to him. Matt is just ugly.

Last edited:
Well that was a genuinely serious statement. The whole debate in itself has nothing to do with anyone being better than anyone else though. That's a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom