Mullen taking a raincheck in HTDAAB? (plus U2's mellowest album?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think it's too bad the drums are mixed so low. regardless if they are lacking on some songs, i want to here those skins being pounded when mullen is playing. while i love edge's soundscapes...and i'm glad they have returned, i always like to hear the beat driving underneath. that snare tone barely cuts through the mix on a lot of the songs.

that being said, mellowness is not as much of a factor as the lack of drums in general. i think this could be a result of the production rather than the player.

MORE DRUMS.

jick said:

Since I am not a premium member, I cannot receive private messages or send them. Shoot me a private email at atyclb4ever at yahoo.com if you wanna discuss private matters.

But rather than simply not minding my posts, I'd like to know also what you actually have to think about this lack of drumming in the new album. Thanks.

Cheers,

J

I don't mean this to sound rude but I really don't care. I think you are over-analyzing. At first I thought you were just kidding but I'm starting to think you are serious about your question. I just know I turn on the music and it sounds great. That's it.

jick said:

Speaking of college education, I have a post-graduate degree but I still don't make as much money as Mullen, who can take a raincheck on this current album and still earn millions. I'd like to believe Mullen has gone farther in life than I have thus far. I have a stable job, I just seem to have too much time because I belong to a different timezone so I post while most of you are working/studying. J

Yes, but LARRY has brought joy and happiness to the lives of millions of people whilst you irritate, frustrate and annoy people for sport on U2 online forums.

Why does no one else get Jick?
I don't understand it. He's like
(i've said this before) DeathBear
back from the dead with more
numbers and less physiological
weirdness.

The band has always served
their music and not the other
way around. Larry is big on that.
He views the drums as the foundation
of a track, the back bone. It's not there
to solo 20 minutes around. Charlie Watts
was always the same way. You want a difficult
drum solo? Go listen to Phil Collins (circa 1974)
do a solo around the beat on Apocolypse in 9/8.
Insane stuff, but not at much fun as Streets...
And that's the point. I personally think he's got
as much mental presence as he ever has on this
disc.

jick, sometimes I think you sit around trying to figure out the most absurd statements you can try and get away with. Pop is the most mellow U2 album? Are you kidding me?

Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Miami (live especially)

Those are all pretty rocking tracks by U2's standard.

Se7en said:
i think it's too bad the drums are mixed so low. regardless if they are lacking on some songs, i want to here those skins being pounded when mullen is playing. while i love edge's soundscapes...and i'm glad they have returned, i always like to hear the beat driving underneath. that snare tone barely cuts through the mix on a lot of the songs.

that being said, mellowness is not as much of a factor as the lack of drums in general. i think this could be a result of the production rather than the player.

MORE DRUMS.

I totally agree with this. I think most u2 records have this "problem". IMO most u2 albums are rather weak in terms of production, especially the drum sound. Not to say that drum sound makes a record rock or not, but sometimes i wish they would turn the drums up a bit, a clear and thight snare tone. I mean like the drum sound in Vertigo.

The great thing about Jick is that he comes THISCLOSE to being a troll and then steps back.
He manages to infuriate 95% of the people on Interference (which is his goal) without endangering his status here.
The insane part is that if we criticize him in return we can be censured. Insane.
:mad:

I analyzed the numbers,; here are the results:

my mind is 97.84% sure that Larry still rocks the drumkit on this record.
the percentage of snare drum to my craving ratio is 87.39%, based on actual amounts of ass-kicking delivered by mr. mullen jr.
the chances of me being happy with the cymbals are now at 94.86%, based on the relative quotient of bling bling to hoopla.

now then, if the live set geometric slope of bass drum combines with the relative isometric pressure of tamborine, there's a 94.13% chance of me standing up and yelling "hooyaa!!"

however, there's only an 87.34% chance of that.

*numbers prepared by jick demographics inc.*

:wink:

Diemen said:
jick, sometimes I think you sit around trying to figure out the most absurd statements you can try and get away with. Pop is the most mellow U2 album? Are you kidding me?

Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Miami (live especially)

Those are all pretty rocking tracks by U2's standard.

Actually, I made a mistake in this statement -- or at least something that could be a possible mistake. I have not yet gotten to analyze the statistical data on the no-drums part of POP - but off the top of my head, I think POP has too many silent moments and hence mellow. Also, I don't think Miami (live) is in the POP album.

But the mellowness of POP has been discussed to death in this board the past 7 years, and POP vs. ATYCLB have been discussed the past 4. So rather then put the focus to POP, I'd like to know your opinions on Mullen's "raincheck" in HTDAAB and your thoughts on his drum being so low in the mix, and your theories on why U2 intentionally did this (if it was intentional at all).

Cheers,

J

I dont think it was really intentionally put in the background. It's just the fact that the Edge and Adam are in the foreground this time...and I dont think that by any means dictates whether the album is "rocking" or "mellow".

Timing is everything. A strategically placed drum part is what makes a great song. Just because Larry's not pounding away every second doesn't make this album mellow.

If you really want to analyze based on statistics, mellowness is not just a function of drum time. You also have to factor in the degree at which he is hitting the kit as well as the speed and ferocity. Obviously, this type of thinking doesn't take into account what I just mentioned above, which is the placement of the drums.

Each member and each instrument serve a purpose on the finished product. They are trying to convey a mood, a statement, a feeling, an emotion, etc. They are not taking into consideration drum time. If it makes sense to have a minute and a half intro where it's just Bono's hushed voice accompanied by The Edge's appregiated guitar, then drums and bass are out for that minute and a half. If it makes sense to thump on the cymbals to introduce a song then so be it.

The amount of time drums are added in doesn't constitute the mellowness of the album. I'm sure Yanni's done songs (if they can be called that) where there's percussion throughout. I wouldn't be inclined to say Yanni's rocking at that point.

:hug: Jick, I love you. Will you marry me? :D

Okay really, I think ADecentMelody summed it up perfectly... though frankly I really didn't notice a lack of drums on the album. Obviously there are going to be SOME parts of songs without drums, but that just gives more emphasis to the drums when they're actually there!

Geez, we're still here talking about this thread? I don't get it. Pop is mellow because certain parts don't have drums? The drums are mixed to low so that makes it mellow. Does anyone listen to the songs as a whole, or are we already so bored we have to pick everything apart? :mad:

I LOVE THIS THREAD. I was seriously laughing my ass off reading through some the mock statistical data.

All joking and hysterical laughing aside, I apreciate Jick's sentiments for logical discussions.

Drumming: I'm just fine with the drumming on HTDAAB. Statistically, it may have a lower drumming ratio than past albums but it doesn't take away from the driving force that exists on HTDAAB. Take Vertigo and ABOY for example. These songs are clearly rockers. For that, HTDAAB will not go down in as a mellow album. I really think U2 has acheived an optimal mix its song variations. We get a healthy mix of songs on this album.

Honestly, U2 is a band that is known for vocals and guitars more so than for drum and bass. And, I'm sure that's how the fans like it. I personally prefer drums as supplementary instrument and not a focal instrument. Edge's guitar is clearly the focal instrument of U2. And so it should be!

boosterjuice said:
Edge's guitar is clearly the focal instrument of U2. And so it should be!

I hope you have a flame retardant jacket, blanket, or other item to the like. :) (Don't worry. While I don't agree, I respect your perspective, but things could. get. hot.)

UnforgettableLemon said:

I hope you have a flame retardant jacket, blanket, or other item to the like. :) (Don't worry. While I don't agree, I respect your perspective, but things could. get. hot.)

I'm treading on thin ice?

What do you think is the "focal" instrument of U2. Am I alone in thinking Edge's guitar is largely responsible for U2's trademark sound?

I think there's a lotta love here for Adam and Larry. You're safer here than in PLEBA, though.

Honestly, though, I think Adam has a pretty distinctive bass style. It's understated compared to the Edge's wild guitar, but Adam's got his own thing.

I'm totally not discrediting any other member of U2. I love Larry's and Adam's role in U2. But their instruments are in support of Edge's guitar.
I've played in bands most of my life. Nothing bothers me more that drummers and bass players that play "too" much. There is this one drummer that I play with sometimes. He is constantly doing extra fills and rolls that don't compliment the song. Although he is an extremly talented drummer, he has little sense for song direction. The reason why I appreciate Larry as a drummer is because he understands the role of the drums; to keep a beat and not to do as many fills as possible. Larry lets the Edge's guitar shine through and be the predominant instrument.

jick said:
Here are the portions of the album that have no drum part, or negligible drum part or little drum part:

-Miracle Drug 0:00-0:45
-Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own 0:00-2:59
-Love And Peace Or Else 0:00-1:30, 3:28-4:04
-City Of Blinding Lights 0:00-0:48
-One Step Closer To Knowing 0:00-3:14
-Yahweh 2:27-2:56

Based on the above, the top 3 mellowest songs off the album are:

1. One Step Closer.. (3min14sec total)
2. Sometimes... (2min59sec total)
3. Love and Peace... (2min06sec total)

To put things in perspective, these are the hard facts and statistics. Numbers don't lie. The total would be 10:21 out of 48:55 of the album, or a grand total of 21.2% of HTDAAB has little or no drums. That is more than 1/5th of the album! And I have not even factored in the fact that on the 78.8% of the time when Mullen can actually be heard drumming, the drums are still low in the audio mix.

Add the lack of drumming to my previous observation that the word "heart" was used in 7 of 11 songs (63.4%) and "love" in 6 of 11 songs (54.6%), we get an album that has more indiscriminate use of the word "love" and "heart" than your regular balladeer or mushy boyband. There is no doubt in my mind that this album is mellow.

But has there ever been an album of this magnitude of mellowness? I think the last album this mellow (which I think was U2's mellowest album ever) was POP. Remember how drumless most of If God Will Send His Angels, Miami, Velvet Dress, and the beginning of Wake Up Dead Man were? While I don't have the POP album with me now to do a statistical analysis, I bet POP is right up there with HTDAAB when it comes to "mellow moments."

So I'd like you guys to participate in this thread with your comments and observations on all this raw statistical data I have uncovered. What are your theories behind this?

For me, it could be either:

a) HTDAAB showcases Bono's songwriting (which is in almost top-form) and Edge's return to his guitar soundscapes, so they decided to put Mullen in the backseat for this album, otherwise if all the instruments were begging for attention - it would distact the listener and make the album less cohesive; or,

b) U2 have simply mellowed with age and have decided to play softer songs and leave the hard rocking to the younger bands of today; or,

c) a combination of A and B.

Nevertheless, I am stumped at the fact that I really like HTDAAB despite its mellow nature - yet U2's mellowest album ever, POP, isn't one of my favorites. On the flip side, one of U2's more rocking albums, ATYCLB, is one of my favorites.

I guess this just goes to show U2's versatility as a band.

Cheers,

J

PS: Feel free to correct me if any of my mathematical computations are wrong.

You are a genius

No one has ever played a retard on a power trip more convincingly than you.

BRAVO!!!!!

It's wonderful how some non-musician, or musician who have played for 6 months can make these determinations.

Forgive the producer if he didn't put enough reverb on the drums to make you feel that Larry was hitting them hard.

Forgive them if they didn't use enough compression to destroy the dynamics that this album is full of.

Forgive me for speaking beyond your comprehension.

Einstein

jick said:
Here are the portions of the album that have no drum part, or negligible drum part or little drum part:

-Miracle Drug 0:00-0:45
-Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own 0:00-2:59
-Love And Peace Or Else 0:00-1:30, 3:28-4:04
-City Of Blinding Lights 0:00-0:48
-One Step Closer To Knowing 0:00-3:14
-Yahweh 2:27-2:56

Based on the above, the top 3 mellowest songs off the album are:

1. One Step Closer.. (3min14sec total)
2. Sometimes... (2min59sec total)
3. Love and Peace... (2min06sec total)

To put things in perspective, these are the hard facts and statistics. Numbers don't lie. The total would be 10:21 out of 48:55 of the album, or a grand total of 21.2% of HTDAAB has little or no drums. That is more than 1/5th of the album! And I have not even factored in the fact that on the 78.8% of the time when Mullen can actually be heard drumming, the drums are still low in the audio mix.

Add the lack of drumming to my previous observation that the word "heart" was used in 7 of 11 songs (63.4%) and "love" in 6 of 11 songs (54.6%), we get an album that has more indiscriminate use of the word "love" and "heart" than your regular balladeer or mushy boyband. There is no doubt in my mind that this album is mellow.

But has there ever been an album of this magnitude of mellowness? I think the last album this mellow (which I think was U2's mellowest album ever) was POP. Remember how drumless most of If God Will Send His Angels, Miami, Velvet Dress, and the beginning of Wake Up Dead Man were? While I don't have the POP album with me now to do a statistical analysis, I bet POP is right up there with HTDAAB when it comes to "mellow moments."

So I'd like you guys to participate in this thread with your comments and observations on all this raw statistical data I have uncovered. What are your theories behind this?

For me, it could be either:

a) HTDAAB showcases Bono's songwriting (which is in almost top-form) and Edge's return to his guitar soundscapes, so they decided to put Mullen in the backseat for this album, otherwise if all the instruments were begging for attention - it would distact the listener and make the album less cohesive; or,

b) U2 have simply mellowed with age and have decided to play softer songs and leave the hard rocking to the younger bands of today; or,

c) a combination of A and B.

Nevertheless, I am stumped at the fact that I really like HTDAAB despite its mellow nature - yet U2's mellowest album ever, POP, isn't one of my favorites. On the flip side, one of U2's more rocking albums, ATYCLB, is one of my favorites.

I guess this just goes to show U2's versatility as a band.

Cheers,

J

PS: Feel free to correct me if any of my mathematical computations are wrong.

:shocked:

I finally understand now Jick.

BRILLIANT! :lmao:
This has made my afternoon. If only I could contribute... but alas I shall wait a little longer for the album :D.

Wish I had time to read the entire thread lol :p.

WHYWHY.

Last edited:
boosterjuice said:
I'm totally not discrediting any other member of U2. I love Larry's and Adam's role in U2. But their instruments are in support of Edge's guitar.
I've played in bands most of my life. Nothing bothers me more that drummers and bass players that play "too" much. There is this one drummer that I play with sometimes. He is constantly doing extra fills and rolls that don't compliment the song. Although he is an extremly talented drummer, he has little sense for song direction. The reason why I appreciate Larry as a drummer is because he understands the role of the drums; to keep a beat and not to do as many fills as possible. Larry lets the Edge's guitar shine through and be the predominant instrument.

Exactly, that's the way it should be. I'm a drummer myself in a few bands and I try to emulate this as much as possible. The guitars and voice are the shining instruments, I'll be the first to acknowledge that.

I do wonder how people would have responded to this thread if someone other than Jick had posted it ...

Axver said:
I do wonder how people would have responded to this thread if someone other than Jick had posted it ...

I think a lot of us would miss Jick if he weren't around. He thinks differently to most and this inspires some wild reactions from others but he keeps things from being too one-track around here.

Also, having listened to the album again last night, it is light on drums. This works fine for songs like One Step Closer but I feel a more prevalent drum sound would have helped/will help (when played live) Love and Peace or Else become more of the rocker that it seems to want to be (2004's Bullet the Blue Sky).

Last edited:
paulrg said:

Also, having listened to the album again last night, it is light on drums. This works fine for songs like One Step Closer but I feel a more prevalent drum sound would have helped/will help (when played live) Love and Peace or Else become more of the rocker that it seems to want to be (2004's Bullet the Blue Sky).

Finally, one of the few people who actually replied to my points. Yes it is light on drums, definitely not one of Mullen's shining moments. I don't know -- but perhaps Lilywhite got Mullen into submission to allow himself to be put on the backseat like that. Just look at City Of Blinding Lights for example ...as soon as the piano riff is replaced by the slide guitar that would have been a wham-bang moment for the drums to kick in. However, it was mixed such a way that the drum does indeed kick in but very low in the mix. I can't wait to hear the album live, I am sure it should be better.

Cheers,

J

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom