MTV's Top Ten U2 List Sucks Beyond Compare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Elevation, Stuck, COBL and Discotheque, but not top ten (except Stuck and Elevation. Sue me).

But One, Window In the Skies and The Saints are coming are horrible, horrible U2 songs. I bet you anything they just stuck One and Saints in there because they have two stars that appeal to stupid teenagers, and Window just because it's new.

MTV is dumb.

unico said:

same here. do people even make music videos anymore? it seems like a fading art.

They do, it's just that no one really cares any more. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that all of these music video channels don't even play them anymore. People just go to youtube now.

I don't really care about them either in all honesty. Every once in a while I'll look to see what songs by my favorite artists have videos, then maybe watch half the video or something. Videos don't really do much for me.

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
Wow, MTV sucks at making lists. They should leave that to Vh1

VH1 sucks almost as much as MTV these days, as far as actually being related to music in any way, shape or form.

Looks more like a Bottom 10 list to me. I actually don't even mind MJB's One but there is quite a bit of mediocrity on that list!

Joey788 said:
A couple of days ago, MTV aired a special showing the top 10 U2 songs. I found this list online today on the @U2 forum and couldn't believe what I read. Here's the list.

10-Elevation
9 -Vertigo
8 -Stuck in a moment
7 -Discotheque
6 - Sweetest thing
5 - City of blinding lights
4 -Beautiful day
3 -One ( with Mary J!!)
2 -The Saints Are Coming
1 -WIndow in the skies

I have just one question. Is everyone at MTV incredibly high? Or are they just all stupid beyond comparison? I mean, really. Nothing from the 80s?!! Nothing from Achtung Baby except from MJB's version of One?

There is no hope left for MTV.

There hasn't been any hope for MTV for about a decade now . . . . 'round about the time U2 started making their best songs! :laugh:

Let me guess, I bet they didn't even play the entire videos of those songs during the special, and the special was probably aired at about 2:00 in the morning.

MTV is a joke. It's not even deserving of the name "Music Television". :no:

I think that

Vertigo
Stuck in a moment
Sweetest thing
City of blinding lights
Beautiful day
Window in the skies

are all great songs. :shrug:

Mtv isnt a music channel anymore. Different tv series and only mainstream shit music.

Miss those days with Mtv Unplg.. Unpigged

41KN6QDJ2SL._AA240_.jpg

Zootlesque said:
Looks more like a Bottom 10 list to me. I actually don't even mind MJB's One but there is quite a bit of mediocrity on that list!

Do you really think Beautiful Day is one of U2s worst songs or are you being controversial for absolutely no reason?

ludvic said:

You think that list is U2s 10 worst songs?

Is that what you have to say to be cool around here? :scratch:

Well fcuking weird.

If it's their opinion, then it's their opinion. They've had the same one for as long as I've been on here.

LemonMacPhisto said:

If it's their opinion, then it's their opinion. They've had the same one for as long as I've been on here.

:ohmy: fair enough.
I just find it strange that of all the 150+ songs that U2 have recorded that BD, of all songs, would be in the 10 worst (smells of an agenda). But if that has been their opinion from day one then fair enough.

Their consistency has to be respected..

Best of U2 or best of U2 from the last 10 years? :eyebrow:

Either way it's not that great

Stuck, City and Beautiful Day are the only ones that even come close to belonging on the list.

ludvic said:
Do you really think Beautiful Day is one of U2s worst songs or are you being controversial for absolutely no reason?

Okay I exaggerated a bit. I do like a bunch of those songs but they wouldn't be anywhere near my Top 10!

Window In the Skies is not THAT bad. It's not great either I agree. It's some of the lyrics that bring it down... "soul in a strip tease, hate brought to it's knees"? :sick: But I do like the happy guitar at the end of the chorus!

ludvic said:

You think that list is U2s 10 worst songs?

Is that what you have to say to be cool around here? :scratch:

Well fcuking weird.

Wow, welcome to this board.

There is an unwritten rule amongst many here to NOT like anything U2 has done after 2000. I don't even think people think to much about this. If it was recorded and released after the end of the 90s, it just has to be crap.

It makes sense that tracks like Beautiful Day and Stuck are on that list, because U2 were clearly aiming at a younger audience and trying to gain new and younger fans with the release of ATYCLB. These are good songs, don't know if they really belong on a "best of" list, but certainly on a list you would expect from MTV.

And WITS is not that bad. Not my favourite song, though, but I wouldn't mind having one more WITS on the new album, certainly not a whole album of it. I don't get people's negativity.

Joey788 said:
A couple of days ago, MTV aired a special showing the top 10 U2 songs. I found this list online today on the @U2 forum and couldn't believe what I read. Here's the list.

10-Elevation
9 -Vertigo
8 -Stuck in a moment
7 -Discotheque
6 - Sweetest thing
5 - City of blinding lights
4 -Beautiful day
3 -One ( with Mary J!!)
2 -The Saints Are Coming
1 -WIndow in the skies

I have just one question. Is everyone at MTV incredibly high? Or are they just all stupid beyond comparison? I mean, really. Nothing from the 80s?!! Nothing from Achtung Baby except from MJB's version of One?

There is no hope left for MTV.

I have an old Rolling Stone magazine from around the AB era (perhaps when AB was released). In it, it states that the video that remained at #1 the longest was "With or Without You". If I recall, at that time, the record was 4 weeks at the top.

Granted this was probably 15+ years ago, but it shows how popular some of U2's 80's music was - in an era when MTV actually showed videos on a regular basis! Even in the early 90's, MTV was a great source for hearing a new song and seeing a new video.

Now, unless the videos they listed above just blew everything else U2 ever did away, in terms of MTV's "video chart performance", I cannot see how they created the above list. Yes, U2 did have some great videos in the past 10 years, as well as great songs. And I am thrilled to see this era represented. But to focus on this era exclusively does a great injustice to the videos of U2's past. The simplicity of "New Year's Day", the haunting darkness of "With or Without You", the outstanding and unique camera work of "Even Better Than the Real Thing", the heart-breaking yet unanswered love story of "All I Want Is You" - these all deserve to be listed.

If nothing else, at least we can take consolation in the fact that MTV is pushing U2 a bit and that because MTV is focusing on U2's more recent work, this will keep younger fans interested.

last unicorn said:

Wow, welcome to this board.

There is an unwritten rule amongst many here to NOT like anything U2 has done after 2000. I don't even think people think to much about this. If it was recorded and released after the end of the 90s, it just has to be crap.

It makes sense that tracks like Beautiful Day and Stuck are on that list, because U2 were clearly aiming at a younger audience and trying to gain new and younger fans with the release of ATYCLB. These are good songs, don't know if they really belong on a "best of" list, but certainly on a list you would expect from MTV.

And WITS is not that bad. Not my favourite song, though, but I wouldn't mind having one more WITS on the new album, certainly not a whole album of it. I don't get people's negativity.

Half of my top ten U2 songs are from the 2000s, I just think those suck really bad.

Back
Top Bottom