Movie Reviews (20)14: Modern Times Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wasn't over the moon about that one, I enjoyed it a lot but didn't agree with the critics proclaiming it their greatest work. Definitely need to see it again.

Personally I think A Serious Man is their recent gold standard, and may even be their finest hour overall. What a script, so dense, and it's fucking hilarious. Plus that bizarre, haunting prologue and one of the best endings I've ever seen.

A Serious Man is major, no doubt.

Llewelyn Davis reminds me a little fo Hong Sang-Soo so that goes a long way.

The Revenant - An awesome movie that is so brutal and exhausting I probably won't watch it again for years.

I have now seen all 8 of the best picture nominees and my vote for Best Picture would be "The Big Short".

So The Witch was, to me, more remarkable than all the hype was leading me to believe. I was also kind of concerned go in t was going to be overly strained with pretenses of "slow cinema" of Sundance first-film amateurism or the Old English talky bit-too-hard for realism. But it's not! Strikes a really good balance formally, and draws a convincing and deep portrayal of Puritan-era family and religious dynamics. Most importantly the film scared the living shit out of me by the end more than anything I've maybe ever seen first run in theaters.

I appreciated the craft immensely, but I was never scared, and it didn't really coalesce into anything noteworthy for me. But I was also underwhelmed by The Conjuring. This isn't that far removed from things I've seen before. I'm not a huge horror fan, but the only recent one that I really dug was It Follows.

As far as the scariest film I've seen in first run, I'd go with Carpenter's Prince of Darkness (I realize this is before your time). In the "modern era", I'd probably say the American remake of The Ring was way scarier than anything else I can remember, and Let The Right One In would be up there.

Creed is a grade A Rocky movie by all accounts, but what really won me over seeing it this afternoon was the crowd experience. Fairly packed theater and the audience clearly loved boxing. People were hollering at the screen, cheering on Michael B Jordan and the applause at the end was one of the longest I've heard at a theater. Fantastic crowd.

I'd rank it behind 1 and 3, but ahead of all the others.

Yeaaaaaaaaah Creed.

Every time I watch a Spike Lee film I'm blindsided by how God damn talented a filmmaker he is unlike almost any other modern American director. The last couple joints I've watched, Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (ballsy and weird but kind of ehhh) and Chi-Raq (fantastiiiiic) provided that same sensation to varying degrees, but not quite like the heights of other favorites of mine - Summer of Sam, Crooklyn, Do the Right Thing... However, He Got Game is fucking amaaaaaaaaaaazing, and easily top tier.

Dat ending.

YES!!

I'm a huge fan of He Got Game, and sadly our numbers are few. I love Denzel playing a less-than-dignified character for a change, and the photography is soooo good.

And I also love the transcendent ending.

I am so scared to see Chi-Raq because I had such high expectations for it (the subject matter is something that upsets me immensely) but the general meh attitude the world seems to have taken to it has made me very nervous that it will disappoint. I'm going to try and watch it this week, but I'm also trying to clear out the main Oscar categories, so I don't know if I'll have time.

Saw three movies today:

The Good Dinosaur - Or, we didn't write a story, so we better animate the hell out of this thing. Honestly, might be Pixar's most beautiful film, but the plot was about as absurd as Cars was, and that's something I don't like out of Pixar. They've always been good about having a sense of realism to all of their films, Cars aside. And now this. But damn, it's gorgeous. Biggest complaint, though, was the same one I had from the first trailer I ever saw. Why does EVERYTHING look so good except for the main character? He really looks like shit compared to all of the depth they put into the rest of it. His scales have no 3D to them, they look flat, his entire body looks comical, his color doesn't match the palette of the rest of the film, etc. I get that you want your main character in an animated film to stand out, but he looked like he was from a completely different universe. And I never got used to it over the course of the film.

6/10

Creed defied my expectations. Well...kinda. I had SUPER high expectations, and then Travis and a buddy of mine from work lowered them by messing with me about my aversion to reading any reviews for the film. They both led me to believe the film was getting panned, and I managed to avoid finding out that wasn't true until today, after I finished watching it. Just added to the experience, really, though, to be caught by such surprise. Jordan was great, but Stallone, oh my. I never really thought of him much as an actor, but I thought he conveyed so much emotion in this, plus his timing was so great, and he really just...got me. Got me into the whole thing. I wish Jordan had been nominated for Actor, and the film for Best Picture, but, alas.

Only real complaint was how quickly they tied up the
cancer plot.
I feel like they should've dragged that out just a bit.

8/10

Room - I loved it. It made me feel such strong emotion. Thought Larson was incredible. Thought the kid was great too, I don't know how much praise he's getting, but I was impressed. Great emotion conveyed without slapping you in the face with it. Thought the way they brought the POV stuff from the book (I hear, I haven't read it) to the film was a nice frame. Loved the direction. I have nothing to complain about with this film, so for that reason I'm giving it a 10, but it's not my favorite movie of the year. It's just...I can't give it anything lower. I really like it, and of the best picture noms, it's my favorite.

Though I still have to see The Revenant and Brooklyn. I'm getting a copy of the latter tomorrow. I went to see the former in theaters last week, but it was after a Galentine's Day brunch where I'd had too much of the bottomless mimosas,and I passed out 10 minutes into the damn thing and slept all the way til the last ten minutes. So...I know how it ends, but...oh well.

Man I thought Room was craaaaaaaaaap, but yeah Brie and the kid do nice work.

The Good Dinosaur is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap, I fucking despise the character designs in pretty much every Pixar film, this one was near the top of the shit scale.

You should just watch Chi-Raq. A million times more daring than anything nominated for an award this year.

YES!!

I'm a huge fan of He Got Game, and sadly our numbers are few. I love Denzel playing a less-than-dignified character for a change, and the photography is soooo good.

And I also love the transcendent ending.

I have a hard time seeing why any Spike Lee fans wouldn't be into it.

Good Dinosaur was perfectly watchable children's fare but it helped me appreciate Inside Out that much more.

I'll never look at goats the same way after seeing The Witch. The child actors were incredible in that movie.

Eddie the Eagle is fun even though a lot of it is 'based' on a true story.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Holy fuck, I just saw The Grand Budapest Hotel, what an awesome movie. I really need to start getting more into film. I'd never seen a Wes Anderson movie before, and I think I didn't go see it because I thought it was/would be like a dreary period drama.

I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane. It felt a bit like two different screenplays mashed together but it was tense and smart and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is awesome. Really kicked in a different vibe in the last 20 minutes or so when they decided to just say "Fuck it" and go for broke.

Holy fuck, I just saw The Grand Budapest Hotel, what an awesome movie. I really need to start getting more into film. I'd never seen a Wes Anderson movie before, and I think I didn't go see it because I thought it was/would be like a dreary period drama.

The ones you should watch next are
1. Moonrise
2. The Life Aquatic,a bit slow for some, but the sound track will pay off big for you.
Rushmore is not like GBH much at all
Mr Fox is a lot of fun.
Go to IMDB and watch the trailers

I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane. It felt a bit like two different screenplays mashed together but it was tense and smart and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is awesome. Really kicked in a different vibe in the last 20 minutes or so when they decided to just say "Fuck it" and go for broke.

More like 10 Cloverfield LAME, amirite??

#lance

He Never Died, starring Henry Rollins, was really good. If anyone has Netflix streaming it's available. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did. The writing was good and the role seemed perfect for Rollins.

Now to watch the new Pee Wee Herman thing.............

Back
Top Bottom