Mount Typo, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you seen his posts in the thread about the murdered baseball thread?

He essentially stated he was proud to be white.

Proud to be white.

I strongly recommend this Ali. Cheap and does not induce yuck-face

63193_0_9999_v1_m56577569852494412.jpg

I am gonna get to meet one of my heroes at the Salt Lake Comic Con!!! I have to stop fangirling all over the place, but omg. I'm so excited I'm beside myself. Losing my mind for realz.

I can't go on the FYM feminism thread because people there think reverse sexism and misandry are real things.

Gay former colleague of mine was hit twice when he tried to report homophobia at a Prahran bar last night. Was told "not a bar for faggots". He's a journo with a lot of contacts so hopefully something good comes of it.

This Tim guy makes INDY look progressive.

His jingoistic nationalism is sickening.

How was Japandroids gig Ax/Charlotte? How was crowd?

Really really good and the crowd was pretty crazy. I was exhausted afterwards. They got this guy on stage for his birthday - he actually wasn't legal, he was turning 18 at midnight, but security turned a blind eye - and so at midnight they got him to crowdsurf all the way through To Hell With Good Intentions. He did a full circuit of the band room, it was great. Highlight for me was Art Czars; in fact it was just great paired with Fire's Highway. Evil's Sway and Heart Sweats were pretty awesome too, and Continuous Thunder was much better live than I thought it would be. Great slow burn sort of song and a welcome breather mid-set.

Gay former colleague of mine was hit twice when he tried to report homophobia at a Prahran bar last night. Was told "not a bar for faggots". He's a journo with a lot of contacts so hopefully something good comes of it.

The fuck? What bar? Hope he can get this to blow up in the media.

That sounds awesome. At our gig there were some crowd surfers, people running on stage then stage diving, then the singer stage dived, but the mosh was pretty limited to those in front of the pillar and certainly no one went around the room. That's fucking cool as. That kid will remember that forever.

It was the Prahran Hotel apparently. It was the bouncer, and he's gonna be in some strife.

That's fucking disgusting. Good luck to him, and hope that bouncer's in the gutter soon.

I hope he's alright, too. I mean wow, physical and verbal? I'll be surprised if I don't hear more about this.

I think think I heard about that incident on JJJ news this morning, hope the story got further than that.

Also hope he wasn't badly hurt and that bouncer cops some serious karma. Absolutely revolting behaviour.

Thanks for that. Glad the hotel acted accordingly, but I still feel terrible for him. Nobody should have to put up with that.

But another security guard, who wished not to be named, said he had worked alongside the two sacked employees and was adamant they had been unfairly dismissed.

``These two security guards did absolutely nothing wrong,'' he said.

``It was because he was drunk and was trying to grab the security guard's badge that he was asked to leave. It's got nothing to do with his sexuality."

So convincing

I don't understand why people vote early. I love going on the day - and the sausage sizzles help. I have to vote by post in New Zealand's elections and dropping the envelope into the mailbox is such an anticlimax. I've never even had a long queue; longest I've queued is probably five minutes and at the 2006 Queensland state election I walked into the polling station to find no queue and only one booth occupied! But then I go early.

I'm sure that when I vote below the line and fight with the massive Senate paper on Saturday I'll wish I had requested a postal vote just so that I could spread it out on my dining table...

I went today at about 10am to go check out the sausage sizzles (because they're awesome!), and there were...60 people in line?
Then I went to check about 12:30 to get lunch, and they had a separate line for the BBQ at that point. Which was cool.

I dunno, it's 32C up here today, I suppose I just didn't want to stand in the sun that long? And I guess the voting centre I go to is a primary school right in the centre of a busy suburb.
Eh.

32C and we're only a week into spring? Wow, fuck that.

I went at 10:30am. Queue was pretty short. Stood in the sun for a minute, then four or five more in a hall before I got my vote. Exited and the sausage sizzle was right there waiting for me - very welcome after the below the line slog. Though by that point the queue to vote had got considerably longer! Glad I went when I did.

I voted early (about 8:15) and there was a massive line because all the old folks were doing the thing. Good to get it out of the way, but I think next time I'll go for the sausage sizzle.

My general strategy has been to go between 9:30 and 10:30. You avoid the early rush from old people and early risers and stuff, and it's only going to get busy around lunchtime and especially the arvo.

I went around 11:30 and there was a massive queue, although not as massive as the one I stood in last time. It was near enough to midday when I got out, and the queue was way shorter... typical. Still, I had my sausage so it was all good.

I picked up all the how to vote cards on offer, just to see where they'd put their preferences, kind of interesting to see.

Why don't we need to show ID when we go to vote? Every time I forget and think I need to show it, but nope. Doesn't make any sense.

Why don't we need to show ID when we go to vote? Every time I forget and think I need to show it, but nope. Doesn't make any sense.

It's because it disadvantages poor voters. Introducing requirements for ID is a classic right-wing tactic to screw over poor left-wing voters. The US is an instructive example. Every time you put up additional barriers to elections - showing ID, proving literacy, whatever - they disadvantage poor voters and minorities.

For instance, the poorest voters can't drive and don't have a driver's licence. They are also too poor to travel so they don't have a passport, and couldn't afford one anyway. How are they meant to present appropriate ID without forking out money they don't have for one?

I have a feeling I asked the same thing three years ago... :der:

Fair enough. I feel slightly dirty for asking now... *L* Must be the right-wing Hawthorn-supporting association creeping in. :uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom