Most Variety On 3rd Leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMScoopy

Refugee
The 3rd leg is now tied with the 2nd as having 39 different songs, and it is only about 1/3 of the way through the 3rd leg. I think Popmart 2nd leg has the all time lead of 51 songs, but a lot of those are non-album songs. Can the Vertigo Tour top that? What new songs are to come? Will the Vertigo tour have the most variety of songs played of ALL tours? :hmm:

Last edited:
JMScoopy said:
The 3rd leg is now tied with the 2nd as having 39 different songs, and it is only about 1/2 way through the 3rd leg. What new songs are to come? Will the Vertigo tour have the most variety of songs played of ALL tours?

This has Axver written all over it. :wink:

at this point i'd be happy if they'd play anything that simply rocks from the 90's. now they don't play a single song other than the first time, one and mrs. sara7evo.

that's nothing short of criminal.

Re: Re: Most Variety On 3rd Leg

u2wedge said:

This has Axver written all over it. :wink:

axver would also be the first (if i hadn't beaten him to it) to mention that many of those 51 songs were during Edge's Kareoke session, and really hardly count as songs like we're mentioning. These songs were often just edge on vocals with an actual kareoke backing, and not with any other part of the band. Take these out and I'd bet that Vertigo is already winning.
~A.j.~

Thanks for that, fandangamoq.

I'm going to do a decent study - I've been saying this for about a week but I WILL do it within the next five days - of how many songs have been played on each leg of each tour, how many openers/closers have been used, etc., and present the results on the setlist forum. This will remove things that should not be counted (I know a few things on U2-Vertigo-Tour.com should be classified as snippets but are mistakenly listed as full songs), and give a distinction between U2 originals and covers.

I expect Vertigo will come out as one of the most varied U2 tours ever. I think that variation is apparent just by comparing recent sets to opening night.

Axver said:

I expect Vertigo will come out as one of the most varied U2 tours ever. I think that variation is apparent just by comparing recent sets to opening night.

So Axver, does that mean you're back pedaling from this statement?:

"It's totally inaccurate to say this is the most diverse U2 have ever been."

u2wedge said:

So Axver, does that mean you're back pedaling from this statement?:

"It's totally inaccurate to say this is the most diverse U2 have ever been."

No. I don't expect it will be the most diverse. And to be honest, I forget the context of that statement: was I talking openers/closers? Because if I was, there's no way Vertigo will win unless they go nuts on opener variety sometime really soon.

Axver said:

No. I don't expect it will be the most diverse. And to be honest, I forget the context of that statement: was I talking openers/closers? Because if I was, there's no way Vertigo will win unless they go nuts on opener variety sometime really soon.

so you're back pedalling from THIS statement then?:

'I expect Vertigo will come out as one of the most varied U2 tours ever.' - Axver

:hmm: :shrug:

which is it? :wink:

context of original quote was your response to my claim that there was a pretty good diversity emerging in this tour's setlists...

Last edited:
u2wedge said:

so you're back pedalling from THIS statement then?:

'I expect Vertigo will come out as one of the most varied U2 tours ever.'

:hmm: :shrug:

which is it? :wink:

:huh:

How did I backpedal from that? I just said it won't be the MOST diverse, but will be ONE OF the most - i.e. it'll place highly, but I don't think it'll be #1.

By the way ... I'm getting the facts together now for the study I mentioned earlier. I just finished Lovetown, and for everyone's interest, Boy and October both had nine different closers, and JT had the most total songs played with 44. However, Lovetown had the most original U2 songs at 30, while 15 of JT's 44 were covers, leaving only 29 originals.

Lovetown will win for most openers overall, with six. I know none of the subsequent tours beat that. Boy and UF will come in second with five each.

Why do I think ZooTV (assuming you treat 92 and 93 as separate tours) is going to come out to be the least varied? Odd considering how it's so well loved.

tommycharles said:
Why do I think ZooTV (assuming you treat 92 and 93 as separate tours) is going to come out to be the least varied? Odd considering how it's so well loved.

I'm treating ZooTV as one tour, 1992-93. I don't buy it when people say the two legs in 1993 were a separate tour, especially because the setlists of the first 1993 shows were the same as those in 1992.

ZooTV leg one, which I just did, has an EXTREME lack of variety. It's truly painful. Almost every show has the exact same 20-song setlist: two lucky shows had Van Diemen's Land and a few others got a special song (Tacoma II had the most varied set), and a few not-quite-so-lucky shows were screwed a song or two by the band not playing Desire/UV or LIB. Yes, some early Zoo shows had only eighteen songs.

I think variety will improve as I go. I will present data for 1992-93 combined, then data for just 1992 and just 1993, and finally data for each individual leg, just to provide the clearest picture possible.

Axver said:

ZooTV leg one, which I just did, has an EXTREME lack of variety. It's truly painful. Almost every show has the exact same 20-song setlist: two lucky shows had Van Diemen's Land and a few others got a special song (Tacoma II had the most varied set), and a few not-quite-so-lucky shows were screwed a song or two by the band not playing Desire/UV or LIB. Yes, some early Zoo shows had only eighteen songs.

It wasn't 'painful' if you were there. It was a fantastic collection of songs, and the show itself was so visually dense and engaging that the actual song variety almost didn't matter. Even if you saw the show more than twice, you were still finding things you'd never noticed before. The first U2 show I ever attended was at the Hampton Coliseum in 1992. They were maybe a week into the tour, and they left out Love Is Blindness and ended on WOWY. I didn't give a fuck, I was still soaking in the sensory overload. I'd never seen anything like that in my life. I'm not saying I wasn't thrilled when other songs made it into the setlist at later shows, but it wouldn't have upset me if they hadn't. Variety was a small price to pay for everything else about that particular tour. Same with POPmart.

Song-wise Zoo-TV was indeed the most less-variety tour by the band.
But I`ve seen Zoo-TV 5 times and it blew me away 5 times:drool:

Now let`s check what`s on Zoo-TV shall we:wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Back
Top Bottom