Most lyrically brillant U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
Running to Stand Still
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Love And Peace Or Else
Crumbs From Your Table
Bad
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
The Fly

whether people agree or not i love the first verse of zooropa

"Zooropa...vorsprung dirch technik
Zooropa...be all that you can be
Be a Winner
Eat to Get Slimmer"

Yeah, I so surprised when people say that Pop was a flop, blah blah blah. I mean, were they even listening to the lyrics, Bono's best for an entire album? I think not. :shame:

So Cruel (I LOVE this song). Every word of it. Very dark and very sexy.

City of Blinding Lights - I love all of the Ali references - "I've seen you walk unafraid" Hmmm Chernobyl "I've seen you in the clothes you've made" Edun "Can you see the beauty inside of me" :p

The imagery is equal to Unforgettable Fire (another fave)

Totally agree with "So Cruel". Especially when I listen to it after midnight, the words in that song just cut right through the heart.

Lemon is brilliant too.

The first three that popped into my head were:

1) Until the End of the World
2) Acrobat
3) Red Hill Mining Town

Here are some that came to my mind at the moment:

Acrobat
One Tree Hill
The Fly
Bullet the Blue Sky
And also Playboy Mansion

One
The Fly
Acrobat
Walk On
Where the Streets Have No Name
Staring at the Sun
So Cruel
Until The End Of The World
Kite
Bad

If I had to choose just one, It would either be Acrobat, or Kite.

4U2Play said:
The Unforgettable Fire

"And if the mountain should crumble,

or disappear into the sea,

not a tear, no not I"

I LOVE that line ... I thought I was the only one.

One of the most lyrically beautiful U2 songs is also One Tree Hill. Written for Greg Carrol it just sums up how beautiful life is. Great great song.

Some more great ones...

One Tree Hill
Running to Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
Unforgettable Fire
Pride
Bad
Stuck in a Moment

....and plenty more

Last edited:
Yes, So Cruel is definitely one for me - in fact let me cop out and just say the entire Achtung Baby album is my top, although in addition I'd say I love the lyrics to Gone, and Stuck in a Moment, Running to Stand Still...

No one's mentioned my favorite U2 song ever.

Ultra Fucking Violet

I remember when we could sleep on stones
Now we lie together in whispers and moans
When I was all messed up and I had opera in my head
Your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed

Absolute beauty right there.

have to say SYCMIOY in the video when its just bono singing i really listened to the lyrics and they just kinda hit me, kinda having the wind knocked out of you... amazing

VertigoGal said:
In no particular order...

Shadows and Tall Trees---I know that's a weird one, and I still don't know who Mrs. Brown is or why her washing is always the same. This is sort of young Bono attempting to write profound poetry, but I think this one works, and it just strikes a chord with me. I don't even know what it's about (if anything), but I can relate. Weird.

I read somewhere that Mrs. Brown was Bonos neighbour and used to live across the street from where Bono grew up.

Don't know if its true though, but it would make sense.

TOMORROW LOVE IS BLINDNESS SO CRUEL INTO THE HEART WHO'S GONNA RIDE YOUR WILD HORSES ONE SYCMIOYO STAY EXIT PLEASE
:)

Bono is a brilliant lyricist. It completely adds to the attraction of U2 for me.

Recently, I have been really appreciating the lyrics (and music) to Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. You cannot but wince at the line:

"A piece of glass left there on the beach".

And that's not to mention the emotionally provokative line:

"Who's gonna taste your salt water kisses? Who's gonna take the place of me?"

This ties in with the beach imagery, but it also conveys a great since of sadness at the splitting of these two people. It is as if Bono is asking WHO, just name me ONE PERSON who could bring her happinness that they shared.

Another line I love that comes to the top of my head is from Dirty Day:

"If you need someone to blame, throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone guilty"

So true!

I think it's a testament to U2's greatness how every one of us considers a different song or group of songs to be lyrical masterpieces, and how we all have strong cases.

I mean, I've read through all of these replies and I can't disagree with anyone, cause there are so many jewels in U2's crown, and so many lines that leave me speechless.:drool:

Who will ever forget these words? They stood out for me the first time I heard them--and I felt what he meant:

Broken bottles under children’s feet
Bodies strewn across the dead end street
But I won't heed the battle call
It puts my back up
Puts my back up against the wall

--Sunday Bloody Sunday

There are so many good U2 songs, and I have like one song that's on the repeat for a while every now and then, at the moment that's "Running to stand still". Apart from this one, there's also permanent list of those:

One
Who's gonna ride your wild horses
Acrobat
Until the end of the world
Gone
Walk on
and Miss Sarajevo (especially now, that it's been relived again) :wink:

Big Girls are Best! Elevation!

ok maybe not.

If God Will Send:
What's that you say to me? There's love?
Light up your Christmas tree.
The next minute, you're blowing a fuse
and the cartoon network turns into the news.

Achtung is fairly solid. Pop blows everything out of the water. The lyrics are complex rhythmically and emotionally, without the cliches I find in some of the JT or ATYCLB tracks. How bout Mofo or Acrobat? So personal...

What's that you say to me? There's love?
Light up your Christmas tree.
The next minute, you're blowing a fuse
and the cartoon network turns into the news.

:shocked: No flipping way I could have guessed that line. Weird. I might have to sit down for a second.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom