More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see the 8/19 thing being true, perhaps. That's the week most colleges start up again for the fall, and college radio (if U2 still gets the airplay they used to) could be a boost.

But the most important new features seem to be very different, the Irish band seems to have no intention of touching fewer cities but to do more concerts in the same location, for example every city three concerts instead of touching different cities and make a single concert.

This is gonna suck for those of us who have things happening in the spring that will make travel hard :(
Varied set lists sounds great, though.

Well, they did shorten the intro in the radio edit, so I don't know if that was so much of an issue. Didn't matter much in the end though.

Interesting rumour from U2place. Here's the Google translation from the original Italian:

"Rumors - Exclusive U2place: Tours arenas and ever-changing set-list!

In the last few weeks have chased many rumors about the output of U2's new album but nothing has transpired in view of the new tour of the Irish band.

One of our source inside the band's management informs us that the organizational phase of the new tour is already at full capacity with important news than the 360 Tour. It seems that the band has plans to tour arenas purely as mentioned several times by members of the band in recent years, as confirmed by Bono to some fans in Sao Paulo. But the most important new features seem to be very different, the Irish band seems to have no intention of touching fewer cities but to do more concerts in the same location, for example every city three concerts instead of touching different cities and make a single concert.

Another new feature worthy of note seems to be the band's intention to propose a different show for each concert with different set-list to provide a show completely different from that of the last tour, crystallized in the last chances to show real default even before they go on stage.

With regard to the timing of everything is linked in the new work output of U2 that will be released in the coming months and that surely will see one show a little more focused and less futuristic in recent years, focusing on the quality of the whole show rather than on size.

We are waiting for confirmation about this news certainly will come in the coming weeks."

http://www.u2place.com/newsdett.asp?idN=6788&rumors-esclusiva-u2place-tour-nelle-arene-e-set-list-sempre-diverse%2F

That would be almost more exciting than a new album, well almost! ;)

Varied setlists? Right, would be awesome but not something U2 has ever embraced. I will believe it when I see/hear it. U2 are capable of having a setlist rotation. But a setlist scramble as this implies I just cannot see them doing it. They are creatures of habit when it comes to touring.

Maybe we will be able to download soundboard copies of the shows we attend also. Might was well dream even bigger!!! Because varied setlists are a big U2 diehard dream! :lol:

Yeah, I searched some more and I found it. There were some other cool pics from that article, I wish I had a copy of it.

Here's a thread with all the info and scans of the article if you want to see it:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f195/gq-band-of-the-year-scans-212300.html

There were different covers of that issue and the U2 cover was near impossible to get. Most stores had lots of other covers but not U2. Most of us who did get a copy got them on ebay.

Here's a thread with all the info and scans of the article if you want to see it:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f195/gq-band-of-the-year-scans-212300.html

There were different covers of that issue and the U2 cover was near impossible to get. Most stores had lots of other covers but not U2. Most of us who did get a copy got them on ebay.

I was just going to say, check with Bonocomet, she's got everything. But you beat me to it, naturally. Cause you've got everything.

If the set list scramble talk is legit, they could do a full album performance series like Springsteen has done in the last couple years. I guess I could see this with JT, AB, and ATYCLB. But that would probably be too backward-looking for what they are trying ostensibly to achieve at this point.

Never mind.

Bono's idea of a different set list every night probably means swapping Ultra Violet with Hold Me or NYD with Pride.
Not going to get my hopes up with this rumour although he did mention something about playing Love Comes Tumbling so ye never know.

Hail Hail

Pros and Cons of multiple shows in less cities...

So about the rumor that U2 would do as some other bands have been lately... multiple shows in less cities...

The rumor mentioned the idea of variety of set lists.

Sounds a bit similar to what they did during Love Town (New Zealand / Australia shows).

CONS:
I remember the band saying they didn't like it so much when they did that on Love Town.

Could make it easier for the scalpers to feck things up for the fans.

PROS:
Bands are finding, that is a rough economy, having the fans 'come to the mountain', as it were, can save a band on travel and tour costs.

For the fans that go to multiple shows it could save on some flight costs.

Finances might win over personal preference for U2? Time will tell.

Bono's idea of a different set list every night probably means swapping Ultra Violet with Hold Me or NYD with Pride.

I think any wholesale setlist changes on a nightly basis would inevitably mean Bono forgetting/fucking up lyrics. "Love is blindness/ I don't wanna see/ hmm ohh yeah yeah me" and such like. So yeah, I think the most they'd do is small surgical changes to an otherwise well-drilled show.

I think any wholesale setlist changes on a nightly basis would inevitably mean Bono forgetting/fucking up lyrics. "Love is blindness/ I don't wanna see/ hmm ohh yeah yeah me" and such like. So yeah, I think the most they'd do is small surgical changes to an otherwise well-drilled show.

I would bet it just means they'd have two setlists. To what extent they're different, idk, but the Bmeister is gonna fudge em up anyways.

Varied set list nights -- one idea for Night Three.

Digital Request Night.

Purchase U2 app for $1.99 and vote for the songs during the show.

Massive digital board display the votes and comments live.

Each person in the stands gets say two votes vote while each person watching on the live stream @ $3.99 gets one vote.

It feels so bizarre that new U2 music may be just around the corner. Maybe that's because the No Line era still seems to incredibly recent to me. Maybe because this is my second time through, and the first time through came without memories of the recency of the Bomb era. But I remember things like endless leak pun threads, the actual leak of the album, listening to GOYB endlessly when it came out (I've always really liked the song), my friends' reactions to the album, skipping school to buy tickets on presale, and seeing some amazing shows so well. All of it is so fresh that it's hard to believe we're sweeping that under the rug and moving to another era of U2. NLOTH's era was incredibly special for me. I hope this one comes close.

Yeah. It's hard to believe because things have been so quiet compared to NLOTH, where we had beach clips over a half year before the album came out. We had real song titles, reports from magazines, etc...

This time the 1st single could literally get dropped on us at any time with having literally no knowledge of the direction the band is taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom