Moment Of Surrender is overrated thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razredge

Acrobat
So does anyone seriously thinks this song is a match for One, WOWY, AIWIY, LIB etc?

Does anyone think it is rather contrived, the backing instrumentation is boring, and the song doesn't build up too much.

And what about the chorus? It seriously sounds like the Edge and Bono are singing a Christmas carol, doesn't suit the song.

It's only a 3 or 3.5 star song for me. One of the disappointments of the album, seeing how it was touted as being the next One.

For starters, it shouldn’t be getting compared to One, Stay, WOWY etc. It’s nothing like those songs. It’s not a kineda straight up ballad like those songs. So if that’s the basis for your judgement, you’re off base to begin with. There’s nothing wrong with not liking it or thinking it’s overhyped (but remember everything will be overhyped for a little while longer yet) but those tracks are the wrong comparison (and I’m not sure there is a comparison in their catalogue).

I continue to be sadly underwhelmed by MOS. It's my least favorite song on the album. UC goes in a far more interesting direction, both musically and lyrically, and I usually skip from Magnificent to UC to keep really enjoying the album.

I'm actually surprised at how UNDERRATED this song has been by those on this site. It's miles ahead of Magnificent IMO. As soon as I heard it, during my first listen to the album, I had to play it twice more (ruining the "listen to the album straight through on the first listen" promise I'd made to myself, lol).

The "I was speeding on the subway / through the stations of the cross / every eye looking in other directions / waiting for the pain to stop" is one of the most harrowing lines in any U2 song. Dark, distraught, and pleading -- classic, vintage, Bono. And the vocal delivery is Bono's best ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stations_of_the_Cross

I love MOS, but I think that right now I love Magnificent, Unknown Caller, and Fez more.

For starters, it shouldn’t be getting compared to One, Stay, WOWY etc. It’s nothing like those songs. It’s not a kineda straight up ballad like those songs. So if that’s the basis for your judgement, you’re off base to begin with. There’s nothing wrong with not liking it or thinking it’s overhyped (but remember everything will be overhyped for a little while longer yet) but those tracks are the wrong comparison (and I’m not sure there is a comparison in their catalogue).

Agree.
MoS is a completely different type of song. I think there's nothing in U2's catalogue that fits in the same type as MoS. Stay is the closest song maybe, and still is really different.

I am actually scared to say that this is not one of my favorite songs on the album. It's actually on my lower half of the list. :(

I'm still leaning toward believing that it's actually Lanois performing the solo....:reject:

I think both extremes are hilarious. I don't think the song is the second coming of Bad or WOWY, but some of the harshest criticisms just seem to be coming from people who need a big, fat, obvious hook in the chorus to keep them interested. Personally, I enjoy the song, I find it quite musically interesting for U2, but I don't rate it in the album's top four tracks at this point.

I love it but its sooooooooo different from One or WOWY that I just can't compare. I don't think its over-rated because the emotion that I think the band was trying to get across comes through beautifully.

now on my 12th listen of the album, it has got better - indeed much better imo_ and probably in my top 5 clear top 4 are Magnificent, MOS, NLOTH, Breathe (after Perf in France tonight) mike:wave:

I think both extremes are hilarious. I don't think the song is the second coming of Bad or WOWY, but some of the harshest criticisms just seem to be coming from people who need a big, fat, obvious hook in the chorus to keep them interested. Personally, I enjoy the song, I find it quite musically interesting for U2, but I don't rate it in the album's top four tracks at this point.

:up:

...And of course its better than One. Everything is.

Im just waiting to hear its live performance before I judge how great the song is.

What makes you think that?

Edge can do a solo when he feels like it. Which, incedentally isnt often. But still... :wink:

Oh, definitely...I certainly have no doubt that Edge can do the solo. I just think that it sounds very Lanois to me---from the sound to the style. It certainly could've been written or co-written by Lanois and then played by Edge, or it could be entirely written and played by Edge. But as a Lanois fan, I'm leaving it up in the air until I see the song's credits...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom