Moment Of Surrender Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it was beautiful at Paris I, and he did sing the "oh god do not deny her" part...

who was it that said they thought MOS was the new One?

after being there and seeing it and feeling it live, i think they could be onto something...

I had a nice little surprise last night...was walking around Home Depot, of all places, when MOS came on over the store speakers (as part of their music rotation that plays in the background). They interrupted the song with an advertisement about low-priced doors or something, and then cut right back into the song (played the whole thing). :up:

MUCH better performance of the song in Berlin yesterday. Still don't like the voice he uses for the verses, but I do understand why. I also don't like doing the ohhhh ohhhh's at the beginning, but what do I know.

I had a nice little surprise last night...was walking around Home Depot, of all places, when MOS came on over the store speakers (as part of their music rotation that plays in the background). They interrupted the song with an advertisement about low-priced doors or something, and then cut right back into the song (played the whole thing). :up:

did you happen to rip an mp3 from it and title it "Moment Of Surrender - Home Depot w/commercial Version"? :wink:

I am gonna be unpopular here, but I think they made a total mess of this song.

I gather this one came early in the Fez sessions, and they decided not to tinker with it from the original recording. I really wish they had.

The melody, and song structure is right up there with some of their best work, and could have been a U2 classic.

My issues with this song are thats it's simply too long, and should have been trimmed by 2 mins. The solo is just horrible...and reminded me of an Eric Clapton week long solo...

The Eno organ all over this, is just dreary...

I would have seriously let Lillywhite at this, to polish it...

It could have been a song as good as One, or Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking, but similar to Staring at The Sun, they blew this one...

Missed opportunity...

Rest of the album is awesome...not sold a bucket load, but it's a great album...almost their best work...
:wave:

I am gonna be unpopular here, but I think they made a total mess of this song.

I gather this one came early in the Fez sessions, and they decided not to tinker with it from the original recording. I really wish they had.

The melody, and song structure is right up there with some of their best work, and could have been a U2 classic.

My issues with this song are thats it's simply too long, and should have been trimmed by 2 mins. The solo is just horrible...and reminded me of an Eric Clapton week long solo...

The Eno organ all over this, is just dreary...

I would have seriously let Lillywhite at this, to polish it...

It could have been a song as good as One, or Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking, but similar to Staring at The Sun, they blew this one...

Missed opportunity...

Rest of the album is awesome...not sold a bucket load, but it's a great album...almost their best work...
:wave:

BAN!!!!!! :down:

Scott Weiland should do a cover of this song, particularly as it seems to be written from the perspective of an American junkie who finds some kind of redemption.

It would be like the second half of the 2004 Velvet Revolver track 'Fall to Pieces'.

Scott Weiland should do a cover of this song, particularly as it seems to be written from the perspective of an American junkie who finds some kind of redemption.

It would be like the second half of the 2004 Velvet Revolver track 'Falling Down'.

Do you mind me asking, what makes the song specific to American junkies?

Do you mind me asking, what makes the song specific to American junkies?

I thought someone on here said that it was written from the perspective of a US soldier who falls prey to heroin after returning from Iraq?

Also, it seems to me the way he pronounces the word 'notice' when singing the song is deliberately an American style of pronunciation - i.e., "no'ice", with the 't' silent. This used to annoy me intensely, then I realised it made perfect sense in the context of the song (Granted, I could be reading too much into this. Bono does sometimes speak with a transatlantic accent, though less so recently)

I do really love the lyrics... no matter what their literal concept is, they're so beautifully universal, thematically, and I really love how they jump around between the real and the surreal.

The mode of addiction might have been the inspiration, but its doesn't really strike me as a storyteller song, and while perhaps its even a bit more pained than Bono really feels, we all get to breaking points, and this song is about giving up to God at those points, to me anyway.

Beautiful, simplistic, atmospheric, and touches the heart, its U2 to the core in the best way possible.

It's definitely grown on me. I believe it is the greatest U2 song ever released. I'm just astonished how this song affects me!

It moves me as much as Bad and Streets. Extraordinary :up:

i genuinely feel bad for anyone that doesn't get moved by this song.

dontfeedthetrolls.jpg

Loved the song live in Zagreb. I guess he can't sing it live in the same key as he does on the album (or else there's no way he'd do it for an entire tour), still beautiful version - with the "oh oh oh oh"s and the visuals at the start. Interesting to see Larry singing as well.

Amazing vocal take on the album :yes: It reminds me of Rattle and Hum a bit as the charges at those notes in each verse, yet sounds unlike anything else he's ever done. Lately the "speeding on the subway" verse moves me the most.

It truly is a great song. Those seven minutes seem really short when I listen to MOS. Bono's voice is just amazing (he sings with so much emotion), the lyrics are great and I love Edge's slidesolo. It really fits the song. I also love the intro. Great song. :love:

did not get this song at all till learned about the drug context

Sadly, I couldn't connect with MOS until I learned about the drug context. Then it became personal, and how. Also, I had the iTunes version of the lyrics which didn't help. "till the pain will stop" makes a heck of a lot more sense than "till the pentecost".

Sadly, I couldn't connect with MOS until I learned about the drug context. Then it became personal, and how. Also, I had the iTunes version of the lyrics which didn't help. "till the pain will stop" makes a heck of a lot more sense than "till the pentecost".

me to - i can relate alot to this song - it really hits me in some strange way... a work of art. one of their best ever.

This song kills my soul. It chews it up and spits it on the pavement, squishes it beneath the wheels of an automobile, backs up and drives over it again. Gaaaaaah

i love this song so much :heart:

Does anyone have any footage of the song with the end 'rap' improvised by Bono? The SNL performance for instance?

Back
Top Bottom