Midnight Oil Dance & Bed Burning Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela Harlem said:
I hope he's happy with his career change.
:huh:

It's a tough one aye. He seems to be being pushed very hard by the ALP in a spokesman type form... which while it being one of his strengths doesn't really help him I feel fulfill his potential. I truly believed that with an education, reputation and ability such as his he could very well become Prime Minister at some stage... he is a great man IMO. :)

I will shut up before this gets moved to FYM. :wink:

I always felt that Peter would end up in politics, but not for one of the major parties. I think he's a bit restrained now, having to toe the party line. :huh:

Thank God for Our Natasha :love:

He should form the Pete Party. It has a catchy ring to it!

blueeyedgirl said:
I always felt that Peter would end up in politics, but not for one of the major parties. I think he's a bit restrained now, having to toe the party line. :huh:

True. I always assumed an independent senatorial role for him. An ability to have a valuable opinion & meaningful vote yet still vote with your heart. I unlike some don't think that Pete has sold out, that will only occour if he votes against somthing he actually believes is in the best interest of the country... which I never see happening.

YSI has reached an all time low for me tonight. I have managed 0 songs in 3 hours of trying.

I am going to try a couple running over night and post them in the morning if successful.

YSI :down: atm.

timothius said:
I love the degrees of seperation in 1980's antipodean music... i.e

Mark Seymour songwriter for Hunters & Collectors, brother of Nick Seymour bassist for Crowded House with Paul Hester who was the drummer in Split Enz with Tim Finn wrote in Split Enz with Phil Judd lead singer for The Swingers whose bassist was Bones Hillman better known for his exploits in Midnight Oil with Jim Moginie who co-wrote half the tracks on Neil Finn's first solo album. :)

LOL, that is odd...

Don't have much of a comment one way or the other about Peter going into politics, other than that as long as he truly cares about what he's doing, and as long as he goes with what he truly thinks is the best course of action for people, then...*Shrugs*. If he did things that way, I'd have more respect for him than I would a great deal of the politicians here in our country.

Angela

Lila64 said:
surf's :up: tonite
6.gif

I forgot to say... I love this song. :dance:

timothius said:
Arguably Australia's Greatest Band. Full stop.

I'd disagree, but it's not a knock on the Oils, who are great.

Haven't listened to them in ages though.

I like the fact John Howard's favourite Oils track is 'Beds are Burning'...hmm...

timothius said:

It's a tough one aye. He seems to be being pushed very hard by the ALP in a spokesman type form... which while it being one of his strengths doesn't really help him I feel fulfill his potential. I truly believed that with an education, reputation and ability such as his he could very well become Prime Minister at some stage... he is a great man IMO. :)

I will shut up before this gets moved to FYM. :wink:

I'm not sure if I made any sense here, just to clarify, I meant his leap from the Greens to the ALP. I reckon his move into politics was always inevitable and while it might make some cringe, he is now doing what he truly wants. I just question sometimes if the ALP are going to meet that. I agree with you, though.

wolfeden said:
Dead Heart, oh MAN.. Blue Sky Mining.. amazing, amazing stuff.

"We carry in our hearts our true country and that cannot be stolen.. we follow in the steps of our ancestry, and that cannot be broken..."

I like those songs, too :up: :yes:. That new wave music channel we get here, and which we also had in Nebraska, is a godsend, seriously :bow: :drool:. I've discovered a lot of great music that way, this band's songs being one of those discoveries.

Angela

yes I would Tim, cuz I think that song is absolutely beautiful, so passionate. I'm assuming the latter batch of songs are just studio versions, right? I've got those, just don't want to download more than I need to or have the links expire before someone new gets a chance to hear them. Downloading the first two posted now...

One movement
One instant
One difference
One lifetime
One understanding
One country...

already on page 2? I have to :bump: for timmy and for others to download the songs if the links are still valid. You must check them out, really! :yes:

Lila, sound familair? :hyper:

Universal Amphitheater, Los Angeles CA, USA - June 20, 1990.

King of the mountain
Stars of Warburton
Dreamworld
Put down that weapon
Blue sky mine
Bullroarer
Sell my soul
Best of both worlds
River runs red
Warakurna
Bedlam bridge
Kosciusko
The dead heart
Beds are burning
Sometimes
One country
Forgotten years
Power and the passion
Hercules

:jealous:

Something good coming from France?

Mr Frenchie 'What Sport Is This Again?' the Ref in tonight's rugby has fostered a bit of anti-France sentiment. :wink:

Inducted into the ARIA in Australia this past evening (I believe). Apparently Bono video taped a speech, which if anyone has, I'd love to see. Don't know if they played or not (would love to find out) :hyper:

MidnightOil-AriaAwards.jpg

capt.syd11010290825.australia_arias_syd110.jpg

:love:

ETA:

ABC.NET.AU

Oils attack music industry over ignoring political activism

Winning was not the only challenge at last night's ARIA music awards, with legendary Australian rockers Midnight Oil using their Hall of Fame induction to attack the music industry for its lack of political activism.

The band urged today's new talent to sing about issues that matter.

Bono from supergroup U2 honoured Midnight Oil with an introduction to their award.

"If Midnight Oil could mean any one idea, it would have to be that Australia could be more, for more people, and that the only obstacle to that is indifference," Bono said.

The Oils bemoaned the seemingly lack of political activism in music today, with former band member Rob Hirst saying the industry might be guilty of ignoring upcoming players.

"Maybe complaint rock is still being written, but ignored by an industry hypnotised by get-famous-fast TV shows," he said.

Former Oils frontman and now federal MP Peter Garrett also thanked Silverchair's Daniel Johns for his tribute.

"The fact that he's done that is a mighty compliment and I'm very very flattered, and it was a very sweet thing of Daniel to do," Garrett said.

Last edited:
Last edited:
ive been saying PG4PM for years

i loved bono quoting "forgoten years" its good to see him liking stuff that means alot to me

btw: sliverchair are a aussie band that formed in the 90's i think

and im with u Lila i dont understand why there arent more U2 fans that like the oils

Awesome thread. These guys are one of my favorite bands and they happened to be the headliners of my first concert. I was so pissed they broke up. Their last album was very good though.

Another cool thing about Peter Garett is he's a strong Christian. I'm very moved by his faith and push for social justice and environmental issues. Cool guy.

I was disappointed when they broke up as well :(

I don't think those youtube links work anymore, but someone did post a y s i link in the 'Bono at the ARIAS' thread. I downloaded it - think this is the link

http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E127D2D37608EEBF (this is where Bono gives the video speech)

timothius said:

Midnight Oil...
Hunters & Collectors....

Thats all I can think of :hyper:

Aussie Crawl :drool:
Icehouse
INXS
Chisel
Split Enz/Crowded House
Kids In The Kitchen

...and many more.....

That said, we've done bugger all since. Silverchair have been vaguley interesting at times, Motor Ace came and went, The Living End are up and down, Things Of Stone And Wood never got the credit they deserved, Powderfinger are frustratingly on and off, Eskimo Joe are quite brilliant.

Diesel, was an underrated gun too....

We've got too many fake "punks" in Australia for a unique, yet mesmerising Aussie sound to blossom. It's all about fads and image down here.....28 days, bodyjar...

We also have a tendancy to bow down to those who achieve (or will achieve) worldwide recognition for blatantly imitating their inspiration. Airborne - ACDC, Wolfmother - Led Zepp, Jet - Beatles/Stones/Oasis.

Oils are class, eyt 20 000 Watt is a dodgy compilation....where is Put Down That Weapon, Short Memory, Read About It???

Back
Top Bottom