Message to U2- YOU DON'T NEED MTV!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
The one thing that bothers me about this is that it seems in some way U2, or their record company or their management are still making futile attempts to win an audience that for the most part is out of reach. MTV ain't what it was in the old days when it helped bands like U2 get exposure and launch and sustain careers. It's nothing but a fake factory now, a kiddie show, a toy store. There are some legitimate bands there but they are few and far between and get little recognition or appreciation. VH-1 is much better but slowly sinking.

My message to U2 is: Give it up. Don't you see with what happened over the last year that you DON'T need MTV or their audience to be an enormous success? U2, you are loved by millions. You will likely never win 95% of MTV's, or at least TRL's, audience simply because you are 'old.' Maybe because you are too damn GOOD. Whatever, in a way it looks not only futile but almost ass-kissing to continue to cater to a crowd who just cannot see how great you are and are looking right through you and turning deaf ears to your music. Unfortunately, most of the MTV fans are like that now. We fans who really appreciate good quality music don't even watch it anymore! Yes, I do believe this fad will die out in a few years. U2 will outlive and outshine them all in the end, of course. Please go where you are appreciated and quit forcing yourselves on the likes of those beneath you. It isn't fitting a band of your stature. You guys rule. You guys rock. That's all that matters.

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

[This message has been edited by U2Kitten (edited 09-07-2001).]

I tend to dissagree...I think that U2 need to stay on mtv aspecially in times like these ,when it`s full with crap and I`ll tell you why.Say that one of these Teenpop-lovers will accidently run into an old U2 video... like "Lemon" or "Stay" and he`ll go like: "Hey! they`re pretty cool!I`ll better hear some more of their songs". Before you know it it`s bye bye to Christina and Hello "Achtung Baby"!!!
That`s why they need MTV. It`s a window to the new generations of fans. Just think of all the 13-14 year olds you see in the concerts singing along as if they were on the actual "Red rocks" show!
So I think MTV is important. As for the ceremonies...well...It`s like a big popularity contest or a home coming dance where you pick your home coming queen and king and all that shit. It`s not serious.

In concludion ,even if it`ll take a few 13 year old teenypop lovers to be saved from the bad ways of music and being draged into the world Of U2mania...it`s worth it!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I love you `cause I need to ,not because I need you..."
-luminous times

You know Memphis Eve that's why Bono himself said he wanted to be on MTV. Me, I feel the chance of that happening with today's teenpop crowd is so minute and insignificant it is hardly worth the trouble and the humiliation. There are plenty of 13 year old U2 fans, but they are people of good taste to begin with. I don't personally think there is a ghost of a chance of winning over the diehard airheaded TRL "WWHHHOOOO" girls.
It doesn't matter. U2 have tons of adoring fans of all ages, and as they say they have a very nice life to show for it!

------------------
Just as you find me
always I will be
a little bit too free
with myself
-Bono and Edge

hmmm... well, if it's any consolation, i became a HUGE U2 fan when i was only 14 years old. granted, MTV was a little different back then (it was during the Nirvana craze), but there is still the possibility that younger fans will come to realize the genius of U2. hopefully, they'll get sick of both teeny-bopper and hardcore angry music, and will eventually want something with more substance.

don't get me wrong- i'm not saying that U2 should cater to the Mtv audience, but I think that completely writing off young people would be a mistake, too. there has to be some sort of balance, i guess....

i have to admit, though, that i was embarressed for U2 last night. they are too intelligent and talented to be treated like cr*p by MTV.

I completely agree with your stance. I stopped subscribing to cable about 4 months ago and when I watched the VMA's as was surprised to see how immature and stupid most of the performers acted.
U2 is and always has been refined. They won't jump on stage and start humping an inflatable doll or make "poopie" jokes. In many ways they've always been highbrow and to think they'd even care about MTV's standards is a joke in itself.
They've done some publicity on MTV, but they've only seldomly lower their standards to gain airplay (Elevation video, and a medley of Elevation and Stuck would have been unlikely in even as recently as 1998 when they performed "Please").
U2 proved to be the elder statesmen of the evening (excluding Mick Jagger's brief appearance), but they also proved to be the most cool.

I tend to agree with U2Kitten that U2 winning over the current MTV generation on a large scale seems a bit futile. Yet if U2 wants to reach the younger audience, which they do, that's where they have to go. For that purpose they do, in fact, need MTV.

From a recent interview with Paul McGuinness in the Financial times: "The key is to achieve a new and younger audience with each record. It's nice that the older audience is still interested in U2, but the more important part of the audience is definitely the new ones."

I disagree that's where they have to go to win over young fans. The young fans who know their shit don't usually listen to that kind of crap that's on TRL. The ones who do listen to it are tragically too far gone to be helped.

[This message has been edited by ODB (edited 09-07-2001).]

I became a U2 fan at the age of 15. My cousin is 17 and LOVES U2...so there is a still a need to touch the masses. Bono has always said that U2 wants as many people as possible to be exposed to their music.

You know what U2kitten, I am positive for years people were telling Santana that same thing. Thing is, anyone that wants to suceed in music these days has to appeal to MTV, no way around it. MTV has become that important to music, well at least in America. The younger generations have always dominated what is big in music and what isn't, that is a law of the land. U2 WANTS to be big again, I am sure fans want them to be big again so MTV is necessary for that and not at all impossible, just tough.

~rougerum

Henry Rollins, U2 IS big again, and they did it without MTV this time. They did it with MTV in the past, they needed the younger crowds in the past, but now MTV has changed, the attitudes of many younger fans have changed and the whole industry is not the same. The debacle last night proves MTV was a lost cause. Still, does it matter? They are the biggest band in the world! So I agree they don't need MTV!

Yes, I am old, as you all know, as old as U2. I have a son who is 15, and he loves U2 and all older stuff. He got into U2 because of Brian Eno! He hates the TRL crap as much as I do. On the other hand, my 12 year old daughter is among those new breed of young fans different from young fans in the past who cannot and will not accept anyone OLD no matter what. The bottom line is always, they are OLD. End of story. I know there are many, many young fans on this board, but my guess is they are tasteful music fans like my son and were not recruited by TRL. Am I right, kids? Can any of you honestly say that you like U2 because you saw them on MTV in the last year? I don't mean in the past. Of course U2 gained many fans in the past from MTV but times and MTV and young fans have changed. I don't think U2 should stop giving their videos to MTV, of course not. But I do think it's a waste of time and a bit embarrassing to continue to force themselves on a market that is mostly unattainable at this point. They should stop bowing down to that type of thing while giving less attention to the fans who already love them. U2's fan base is strong. They are big. They have achieved immortality and their music and legacy will live forever, whether or not they EVER gain one more fan. What did Bono say years ago about the 'pop kids?' He said 'we don't need them.' He needs them even less now.

I think the title of this thread says it all-U2 don't need MTV. Just like the Whos down in Whoville in the Grinch had Christmas without decorations and packages, U2's spirit came through and they regained their old job and title of best band in the world in the last year without major success or exposure from MTV!

Also, don't forget or underestimate VH-1. It is a major form of exposure for U2 and many more fans who like U2's type of music watch VH-1 more than MTV. Maybe they should concentrate more time on VH-1 instead. But really, their tour and their music has spoken for itself. That's all they need.

U2 does need MTV. They do need the Teeny-Bopper crowd... the TRL crowd. This is a band with principles, a band that fights for what they believe in. But the greatest of politicians is useless if he doesn't have a crowd to preach to. U2 needs to do these MTV things, these teenybopper things in order to stay relevant. Because no one wants to hear old irrevelant rock starts preaching about changing the world. Would the average teenybopper listen if Bruce Springsteen got up and tried to change the world? No... because although Bruce is still great, he still sells out and has millions and millions of fans, he's not relevant. The average TRL viewer wouldn't recognize Bruce's face upon first view. They would recognize Bono, thus Bono can still preach about Jubilee 2000 and the Global AIDS Fund and other stuff like that. Real stuff. Important stuff. So yes, U2 has to do a little fake stuff in order to make a difference with the real stuff.

------------------
But that's my opinion, I could be wrong.
-Dennis Miller

Dressing like your sister, living like a tart. They don't know what you're doing, babe it must be art. You're a headache... in a suitcase... You're a star.

Come on, U2 are relevant enough without it. Last night's show was proof that particular crowd will never be won over, and I don't want U2 making fools of themselves by constantly honing in a place they don't fit in. Please, what's next, tell me they won't be hiring a choreographer.......!!!!

U2 are the biggest band in the world without the teenybopper crowd. Screw them.

While U2 doesn't need MTV to prove they are a talented band with substance, they do need it to show that they can make it up there with any group that is successful on the pop charts. MTV is still a big part of the total meter for dominance in the industry. They need to try to win some fans that way, and entertain the old. A video is always a special part of the release of a song.

I think U2, by maintaining a presence on MTV, is accomplishing something else as well, and that is making a stand for REAL rock n roll amongst all the boy bands and hip hop. By playing on MTV, U2 are doing their best to save the music industry and keep rock alive!

Just to clarify I never meant that U2 should abandon MTV to the point that they no longer showed their videos there. I simply meant that it should not be a priority and it should not get in the way of other more relevant things to them at this stage of their career. Sadly, I do believe it's useless. Debbie, I do think it's great that they are trying to keep rock alive. They set out to save rock from the crap music and I'm glad they are trying. But it looks like there is really no point in forcing their way into MTV and should concentrate more on those who love them.

------------------

In regard to everything I would just like to add that I WAS infact a boyband fan before I became a U2 fan. The first time I saw discothaque (Which was the song to make me a u2 fan...and to fall for Bono
smile.gif
) was no other than on the MTV!
I think I have a great taste in music right now (a bit of everything mainly rock and alternative but even pop if it`s done well!)
It sucked before but now it`s fine. We need MTV to have more kids like me to convert!
biggrin.gif

------------------
-luminous times

Originally posted by Dreamboat Annie:
Come on, U2 are relevant enough without it. Last night's show was proof that particular crowd will never be won over, and I don't want U2 making fools of themselves by constantly honing in a place they don't fit in. Please, what's next, tell me they won't be hiring a choreographer.......!!!!

U2 are the biggest band in the world without the teenybopper crowd. Screw them.

About the croud not being won over...did any one elsy noticed that while a big part of the audience stood up (LIKE THEY SHOULD!
biggrin.gif
) when they reseaved the award ,others didn`t even clap. That`s right ,I`m talking about MOST of the rap industry! And some of the hip-hop industry aswell. HAVE SOME RESPECT PEOPLE! I hate it. I mean I love hip hop and all but...they just think that they`re the center of the music these rapers!
"what`s my name...say my name!" ...yeah ...I`m sure that the hungry kids in africa CARE About your name.

I`m not talking about everyone of course...I`ll rewind the tape and watch it again to see who it was.

------------------
-luminous times

U2 needs MTV. especially now, when they're big again.
like mr. McGuiness said: it is important to keep reaching out to younger audiences and try to get new fans and introduce U2 to new generations.
and what better place to do it than MTV? or TRL, for that matter?

------------------
"touch me, take me to that other place,
teach me, love, i know i'm not a hopeless case" - Beautiful day

"be uncool, yes be awkward" - Always

"and you can find your own way out"-Acrobat

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 09-08-2001).]

What I have been trying to say, U2girl, is what you said may sound like a good idea and seem only logical but it just isn't realistic anymore with the way most of the TRL crowd is. This has already been proven. Go ahead and show the videos, but don't waste too much time with a crowd that for the most part will never see U2 as anything more than 'old guys.'
frown.gif

When I say they don't need MTV, it's true. They success they have achieved in the last year was without MTV. They didn't need it. To continue to attempt to win that audience is like grovelling and begging at the door of an old sweetheart who has repeatedly rejected you and that is not befitting a band of their stature. They should have too much pride and they are doing fine without MTV.

------------------

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
What I have been trying to say, U2girl, is what you said may sound like a good idea and seem only logical but it just isn't realistic anymore with the way most of the TRL crowd is. This has already been proven. Go ahead and show the videos, but don't waste too much time with a crowd that for the most part will never see U2 as anything more than 'old guys.'
frown.gif

When I say they don't need MTV, it's true. They success they have achieved in the last year was without MTV. They didn't need it. To continue to attempt to win that audience is like grovelling and begging at the door of an old sweetheart who has repeatedly rejected you and that is not befitting a band of their stature. They should have too much pride and they are doing fine without MTV.

"most of TRL crowd".
that may be so-but it never hurts to try. and if there was at least one person going "wow! who are these guys? i like them!" during TRL performances or U2 videos shown there, it was worth it. if that convinced him to get into U2, i see nothing bad in U2 doing these promotions on MTV.

------------------
"touch me, take me to that other place,
teach me, love, i know i'm not a hopeless case" - Beautiful day

"be uncool, yes be awkward" - Always

"and you can find your own way out"-Acrobat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom