MERGED ----> U2 compensated for ABC/ESPN commercials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
U2 in ESPN World Cup Commercial

Has anybody else seen this yet? The beginning of COBL is used and I'm pretttttty sure it was Bono doing the voice over for the commercial, though I'm not 100% positive as I was half asleep.

At first I thought it was going to be a commercial for the One campaign or something, but nope, was a commercial for the World Cup on ESPN. Thought it was kind of odd Bono would be doing a commercial for ESPN, though it was a pretty cool commercial.

Sorry if this is old news and I'm out of the loop.

ESPN FIFA World Cup Commercial

I just saw a commericial for the World Cup while watching Sports Center (it just came on again as I was typing this.) I know the music is City of Blinding Lights but I am also 99% sure Bono is doing the voice over. Anyone else see this?

Funny, I just posted the same thing in PLEBA. I was also not 100% it was Bono so I was asking if anyone else had seen it. Guess I should have checked here first.

yeah they recorded this ages ago , it got mentioned somewhere but i cant remember.

ok ive already seen this commercial like 3 times in the past hour, so if anybody wants to see it just turn on epsn and im sure it will pop up shortly :wink:

I am pretty positive that it was taped in Charlotte. The Charlotte taping was going to be used for World Cup promotion so I am sure this is it...well hopefully more will come.

I had heard that the taping that was done in Charlotte for the tour was going to be used for World Cup promotion. I guess the rumor was true!

Good ad... looks even better if you get to watch it on ESPNHD. :)

Of course Bono did call the Irish national team the band's best opening act back in 2002.

just saw it this morning and i thought it was Edge....but you are right, it is indeed bono.

Sell ouTZ@!!!131wak!!~

Cool U2 ESPN World Cup TV ads

Don't know if this thread belongs here, but in case you haven't seen them yet, check out these great TV ads airing on ESPN right now:

http://soccernet.com/onegame/

Click ENTER (you may have to download the latest Flash player first)

The "Anthem" video is the best: "COBL" in the background, with Bono's voiceover giving a rousing speech about the miraculous power of the World Cup to bring nations together.

The "Ivory Coast" video is shorter, but just as effective: "Streets" in the background, with Bono describing how Ivory Coast's qualifying for the World Cup halted their civil war.

The "Tartan Army" is great because Adam does the voiceover, with "IWF" in the background. Adam has an interesting voice, I like his diction, I wish he would do more of this stuff.

The fourth ad, "Sick Days" is not available, yet.

Like the iPod ads, U2 did these ads for the exposure, they did not get paid for them.

Last edited:
I don´t get it - I cannot see the clips.
I have Macromedia Flash Player installed, Pop-up Blocker is not active.

It always loads to the point where I can see a "30 %" and "Play on" and then it stops downloading -

dissapointing

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom