MERGED ----> U2 by U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my copy today. I ordered it on the Web, and this must be a copy someone received to review and then sold, because it has a press release inside.

It does NOT have that cover -- I think that's the UK edition. It has the cover of the band from early on (Adam with blond afro and shades, etc.)

Autographed? :hmm: have any of you heard the rumours about possible booksignings in london, dublin and new york? I read it on the atu2.com forum. It would be nice if it happened, but I'd be happy enough with just this long awaited book!

Book sigining in New York, I'll have to look into that. The only problem is the 2 times I've been close to Bono I cried and had the shakes. How would I get my stupid book signed. :huh:

Then of course I would need a picture of us, a kiss on his cheek and a hug. :crazy:

silvrlvr said:
I got my copy today. I ordered it on the Web, and this must be a copy someone received to review and then sold, because it has a press release inside.

It does NOT have that cover -- I think that's the UK edition. It has the cover of the band from early on (Adam with blond afro and shades, etc.)

Cool. So does the book have plenty of text or is it just a glorified picture book?

Well, there are a LOT of pictures, the coolest of which is a photo of Bono and Pope John Paul II with JPII wearing Bono's shades. (I remember Bono saying the Vatican refused to release those pictures so Bono has gotten his "revenge" now that the Pope has left us.)

There are some adorable shots of the band as young boys, and with their families, although I have seen some of them on PLEBA. And then of course tons of photos through the years.

As for the text, the book starts out with essays by each band member and they are completely in character. Bono's sounds exactly like him, meaning that it rambles. Edge's is thoughtful and articulate, and in parts hilarious (he writes how at age 5 he suddenly began to resemble Alfred E. Neumann on the cover of Mad Magazine -- and there's a photo on the next page that shows that it's true!) Adam tells us he never wanted to be anything but a rock star, and Larry basically says, I became a drummer because I couldn't do anything else.

The book itself is divided in chronological chapters, and it is very front loaded on the early days plus the years up to Pop, but disappointingly thin on the past 10 years. In that, it's a lot like Bill Clinton's book -- remember he wrote at length about his childhood and really rushed through the last years of his presidency. Music Rising, for example, is stuck in on the very last page.

As far as style, it resembles those Vanity Fair oral history articles or the "Bono on Bono" book. It's not really a narrative, it's blocks of quotes from each of the band members. It almost reads like they were interviewed separately and then the quotes assembled per subject.

I'm only just scratching the surface -- it's a pretty massive book.

When you say you ordered it "on the Web", what do you mean exactly? How did you come by this? I ordered this a very long (and very early) time ago. So how did you manage to get a copy already?

To add to my comment: I checked my order. It was made in March 2005. When and from whom did you order yours and how is it possible that you already have a copy in hand?

I went to a website called Half.com, which is owned by Ebay. I buy from them all the time. They often list CDs and books weeks before they are officially published or released. Reviewers who get free copies take them to bookstores and sell them, and then the bookstores list them on Half.com or Ebay, or wherever.

Same thing as when you see brand new books for sale on the street in NYC (like on Broadway around 79th Street); they're usually review copies.

My copy came from the Strand Book Store in NYC, and there were a couple of others for sale when I bought this one. I got it maybe three days later. Weighs a ton, I will say...

Yes, thanks for the tip.

However, I tried for an hour today to make an order from that site. It allowed me to register with my Canadian address, but when I tried to place my order, I was unable to change the U.S. aspect of the mailing address section. There was no "other countries" option. I've written to ask them how I can change this, but they have not yet replied.

So in the meantime, Caragriff bought "my" copy of the book that was in my shopping cart about 16 times! :mad:

:wink: I'm not really mad at you, but REALLY frustrated by that site.

I'm glad you're finding it! Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks once you have your copies.

and C -- LOVE your blog. (As an ex-NYer it makes me feel more connected...)

Last edited:
thanks silvrlvr!

biff - cool, i'm glad strand had it for you! i didn't realize it was coming from strand until after i purchased it on ebay - strand is literally 2 blocks from where i work in nyc. i am going to stop by on monday and see if they are selling copies in the store or just online.

Last edited:
caragriff said:
thanks silvrlvr!

biff - cool, i'm glad strand had it for you! i didn't realize it was coming from strand until after i purchased it on ebay - strand is literally 2 blocks from where i work in nyc. i am going to stop by on monday and see if they are selling copies in the store or just online.

Let us know, I can run over after work :happy: What street is it on?

caragriff said:

it's on broadway, i think broadway and 11th street or 12th street. it's huge - the best bookstore. ever. i'll let you know if i find any u2 by u2 books in there ;)

Great, thanks!:wink:

awww i was hoping the deluxe edition would offer more than a replica poster

but i seriously cannot wait for this book.
book signing?! o man i wish i could fly myself to NY

they just refurbished strand so it is much easier to navigate ;)

i just went to strand (broadway and 12th street). they had 2 copies of u2 by u2 in stock - and i somehow managed to refrain from buying one, since i already ordered one on the web. the covers on the books had a few wear marks - like a book that's been on the shelf for a while. it was not shrinkwrapped, in other words. still, for $20 and before it is supposed to be on sale, i would jump on it.

the u2 by u2 books are downsatirs on the "oversized review copy" shelf.

oh, and by the way, the pictures inside are adorable. i didn't get thru too many pages, but yeah...some really cool pics that we've never seen. like slvrlvr said - definitely heavy on the baby u2 years.

the only text i read was in the beginning where they each had a few pages of personal family reminiscing - i went right to larry's part. he mentions how his mother's death in 1976 and his sister mary's death in 1973 shaped his life. he also says his parents paid for him to take piano lessons when he was young, and that when he wanted to switch to drums - he had to pay for the lessons himself. also, he says that after his sister died, his father stopped pushing him....

caragriff said:
they just refurbished strand so it is much easier to navigate ;)

i just went to strand (broadway and 12th street). they had 2 copies of u2 by u2 in stock - and i somehow managed to refrain from buying one, since i already ordered one on the web. the covers on the books had a few wear marks - like a book that's been on the shelf for a while. it was not shrinkwrapped, in other words. still, for $20 and before it is supposed to be on sale, i would jump on it.

the u2 by u2 books are downsatirs on the "oversized review copy" shelf.

Cool! :happy: I just have to figure out when to run over there I work on the upper west side. Thanks!

U2 by U2.....Whats the difference??

U2 by U2 by U2 and Neil McCormick (Hardcover - Sep 26, 2006)

Buy new: $39.95
Other Edition(s): Hardcover

U2 by U2 Deluxe Edition by U2 and Neil McCormick (Hardcover - Oct 1, 2006)

Buy new: $125.00
Other Edition(s): Hardcover

Does anyone know what the deluxe version might be..I want to buy this book but I dont know if I want to spend that much for the deluxe if there is no indication what the difference might be....

which one will you be geting???

Not sure what the difference is...havent heard that much about it yet.

Sheesh, there better be a hell of a difference if I'm gonna pay $125 bucks for a freakin' book. I mean, for that much Bono himself should deliver it to my apartment and then stay for dinner.

Seriously, though, I have a friend who works in the music biz and has already read the book, I'll see if he knows what the difference is...

It's the same over here, £19.99 for the normal version and then £34.99 for the deluxe one :shrug:

All I can see is that they have different covers, but that can't be it...

I checked on Amazon, and judging from the comments, the deluxe edition includes:

- another slip cover (not included in the normal edition)
- a different cover photo (?)
- a poster

Kind of lame, if you ask me, and not really worth the extra money. I think I'm sticking with the normal version. lol.

Last edited:
The sad part is that the more expensive version could probably just have a different cover photo and enough U2 fans would buy it to justify a second print run.

Back
Top Bottom