MERGED ----> U2 by U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's what I've got so far on this:

-Original release date was slated to be Sept. 13, 2005

-Letter from U2 on the UK HarperCollins site states that the book will be pushed back until 2006 so that the band can focus on the tour.

-Barnes & Noble still has "Sept. 2005" as the release date. When I spoke with an employee of B&N, she said they're expecting it to come out this month.

-Amazon.com originally had Sept. 13th as the availability date. They are now selling it with availability listed as "ships in 2-3 days," and the publishing date as Sept. 1, 2005.

I bought a copy from Amazon last week and was told that it will ship to me on Sept. 22nd (much longer than 2-3 days!) and that I will get it by Sept. 24-26th. I'll let everyone know next week what happens! :wink:

My best guess is they're waiting to include HTDAAB and it's tour.

EDIT: Just out of curiousity, is "U2 & I" out? If so, how is it?

Catman said:
Just out of curiousity, is "U2 & I" out? If so, how is it?

It is & I've heard it's amazing, though expensive... It'll go on my Christmas list this year...:hmm:

chickadee said:
Lol! I checked again just now and it says 'not yet published.' The date reads Sept 4 2006. Typical ;)

Oh well. I had a feeling that'd be the case after I saw that letter from the band. But I was still hoping...:wink:

U2 & I , is a great book, it´s a very well printed book, a very HEAVY book, and a VERY expensive book. 80.00 euros here in Planet_Portugal... BUT I bought my copy.
It´s ALL worth it. :up:

I am going to be buried with that book inside my coffin when I die of old age !
no, just kidding, I don´t want to take the book with me inside the coffin, BUT it is a great pictorial book on U2. :up:

Another good pictorial book is U2 The Show, it's all about their famous lives shows (well duh) at different stages of their career, I haven't bought it yet, but I've read reviews etc.

Here's the cover :happy:

u2byu2.jpg

Just got a an email from Amazon saying they've canceled my order for U2 by U2 because of the delay in shipping. Oh well.

^ I wish the publishers would make up their minds when they're going to
release this book for sure. :tsk:

This is getting more and more disappointing to hear !! :sad:

MsMofoGone said:
^ I wish the publishers would make up their minds when they're going to
release this book for sure. :tsk:

This is getting more and more disappointing to hear !! :sad:

Actually, it's not the publisher's fault. The plan had been to release the book this fall, but then U2 realized that being on a bit of a world tour was eating into their spare time. Imagine that!
Bad planning on their part, I think. They must know by now (everyone else does) that everything they do takes ages to complete.

biff said:

The plan had been to release the book this fall, but then U2 realized that being on a bit of a world tour was eating into their spare time.

Really ?!? :hmm:
Or maybe they postponed the release cuz they decided to add stuff that's happened during the Vertigo Tour ... it's such a current event right now with U2, that I don't believe they would want to complete the book without it.

Still 09/04/06 as publish date. Still same cover photo.

Synopsis
On the occasion of U2's 25th birthday, Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry have come together to provide the inside track on the U2 story so far. They have given hundreds of hours of in-depth interviews and provided rare and previously unpublished photographs to record, in their own words, the definitive history of the world's biggest and best rock band. For the first time U2 will tell their own story in their own words and in glorious technicolour. This is the first book that they have initiated and, in their 25th anniversary year, it will be the definitive account of one of the biggest bands the world has known. This official history of U2 provides the fullest and most personal account of the life and times of the legendary band, and features hundreds of photographs, including some which are exclusive to the book, and many from the band member's personal collections. U2 BY U2 covers the band members' lives before U2, taking us through their early family history to that first fateful meeting in Larry's kitchen, through the evolution of the band from playing church halls to 100,000 seat stadiums, not to mention the 14 Grammy Awards and an astonishing 130 million album sales along the way. Large format and visually stunning, the book has been designed by the U2 creative team of Steve Averill and Shaughn McGrath who have created the majority of the band's iconic record covers.

It'll be the 27th anniversary year by the time it comes out!

It also says it is 400 pages. That's about the same as U2&I and that is massive. This should be great.

YAYYY 400 pages!! of pictures AND stories! i seriosuly can't wait. i guess i have to, but this is sooo exciting. <3<3

you know how bono's been seen with a video camera a lot lately? hopefully they're going to make a U2 by U2 documentary too! ;] *crosses fingers*

Question about "U2 By U2"

Are we to assume that this book is going to be for U2 what 'The Beatles Anthology' book was for the Beatles? In tha book, the Beatles told their whole story, from when they first met each other to their disbanding and beyond, and they discussed all of their major decisions, from musical standpoints, business standpoints, and personal standpoints alike, and they discussed their relationshps with each other at each point in time, and on and on. If this is what 'U2 By U2' is going to be like, I can't wait.

I just hope that it will be in a more descent format than the Beatles book. Because that was painful to read.

Maybe this answers you :

"In 1975, four teenagers from Mount Temple School in Dublin gathered in a crowded kitchen to discuss forming a band. The drum kit just about fit into the room, the lead guitarist was playing a homemade guitar, the bassist could barely play at all and nobody wanted to sing. Over thirty years later, Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr are still together, bound by intense loyalty, passionate idealism and a relentless belief in the power of rock and roll to change the world.

In a epic journey that has taken them from the clubs of Dublin to the stadiums of the world, U2 have sold over 130 million albums, been number one all over the world, revolutionized live performance, spearheaded political campaigns and made music that defines the age we live in.

From the anarchic days of their Seventies punk origins through their Eighties ascent to superstardom with the epic rock of 'The Joshua Tree', the dark post-modern ironies of 'Achtung Baby' in the Nineties and their 21st-Century resurgence as rock's biggest and boldest band, this is a tale of faith, love, drama, family, birth, death, survival, conflict, crises, creativity . . . and a lot of laughter.

Told with wit, insight and astonishing candour by the band themselves and manager Paul McGuinness, with pictures from their own archives, 'U2 by U2' allows unprecedented access into the inner life of the greatest rock band of our times.

"

Sounds bloody great , worth of u2's history

If you go to Half.com, there are already copies for sale, most likely review copies that have been sent out to book sections.

Are any of you splurging for the deluxe edition? I'm opting out & getting the regular one myself. Couldn't quite justify to myself spending 3x the price for a replica poster..... I do think it's interesting how the contents of the deluxe version have changed as time as gone on----wasn't it originally supposed to contain original film cells from the R&H movie? Now it just contains a replica poster from their first English show? And whatever happened to 500 of the deluxe ones being autographed---haven't heard anything at all about that in months. :scratch:

I got my copy today. It appears to be a review copy that someone must have sold to the bookseller, since the press release was inside the front cover.

I had ordered a deluxe one from Amazon but I am going to cancel it. Unless it is autographed (and there is nothing in the Amazon description promising it will be) it isn't worth the extra money for a replica poster and a nice cardboard sleeve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom