MERGED --> U2 3D REVIEWS + Back from a U2 3D screening... + U23D - **Spoiler Alert**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Just back from a U2 3D screening...

skott100 said:
I'm just back from a press screening here in San Francisco.

Damn!
What a great way to start the week!

skott100 said:
I saw it in a huge IMAX theatre with about 8 other people and it blew my mind. I think seeing it opening night with a house full of U2 fans would probably be just... actuaully now that I think about it... that might be TOO much. God help us all.

O Lord!
:combust:
Can't wait to see this!

When exactly is the opening night at the IMAX in SF?
Did they mention that at the press meeting?
'Cause thus far I haven't seen it listed anywhere.

Last edited:
skott100, that was a phenomenal review - I could actually feel your excitement (well I doubt that really:wink: )

Of all the earlier reviews of U23D, and there have been many
not one! has actually given me chills
I can't wait to actually see it. thank you :up:
:hyper: :hyper:

Skott - Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us :hug:

My God . . I knew it was going to be awesome and you have confirmed it!

What is up with the SF IMAX showings? Do you know? They are not posted.

It won't be possible to contain myself in a theater seat. I'm going to be up dancing in the aisles. :dance: !!!

skott100 said:
I'm just back from a press screening here in San Francisco. I belive my jaw is still on the floor back at the IMAX.

I will attempt a quick "review", and I use that term lightly, with a few brief thoughts... I mean other than "holy shit!" and "wow!" and "oh my GOD" that is...

Catherine Owens, you are the Eno/Lanois of U2 visually. You "get" them like no one else and as far as I'm concerned, no one belongs behind a camera crew at a U2 show other than you from now on. Paul McGuinness, get her an office at Principal. Buy her a plane. Set her up next door to the band in the south of France with a villa. Do what ever you have to do.

The people of Argentina, you are the stars of the show. Thank you for your enthusiasm. It's never been more clear how much the crowd has to do with a breakthrough U2 performance than in this movie. U2 fans around the world owe you a debt of gratitude for making this movie and this performance one of... no... THE best U2 live concert film of all time. That's right. I said it.

No one looks cooler 10 stories tall than Adam Clayton.

Bono's voice was as strong as I've ever heard it.

The audio mix constantly catches you by surprise and you'll hear things in the music that you've never heard before. And the 3D... it's such a cliche to say "you feel like you're there" but really, that's what the 3D brings to the show. So now we can all feel what it would be like to literally stand on stage with the band. Not to mention fly over them.

The opening sequence is a great tribute to us, the fans. No slow motion "band walking on stage" footage. For everyone who's ever gotten there early and made the mad dash to a great spot on the floor... you'll feel that rush all over again.

I don't want to spoil any shots for anyone but I will say Larry fans are in for a treat. Music gear nerds are in for a treat. And "The Fly" is like nothing you've ever seen before. Simply astonishing.

U2 3D is the definitive U2 live concert film. Period. They nailed it folks. It's done. This is it.

GAHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh :drool: :drool: :bow: :bow: thanks for the review god i cant wait and its going to be such a long time ... :sigh:

hotpepper said:
It won't be possible to contain myself in a theater seat. I'm going to be up dancing in the aisles. :dance: !!!

Right there with you!

Not sure if dancing and 3D combines well together though.
Might turn out, it's best to view the movie seated.

Skott!!!

:hyper:

Thanks so much for your review, this is getting me even more exciting.

I want to see it. Now. I'd go almost everywhere. Please!!!

:scream:

I got my tickets at the Bridge!!! I'm shaking with excitement...holy crap anyone notice the time limits on the tickets, I felt like I was hacking into a bank or something and had like 10 seconds until I died...I was 1 second too late on the first attempt and then it took me back to the beginning of the process...then i go back and try to get the same seats...and they're gone...unbelievable haha...doesn't matter though cause I got great seats anyways....and besides, the screen is so huge, combined with the 3D effect, it's hard to imagine a bad seat

go Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington, then

skott100 said:
U2 fans around the world owe you a debt of gratitude for making this movie and this performance one of... no... THE best U2 live concert film of all time. That's right. I said it.

U2 3D is the definitive U2 live concert film. Period. They nailed it folks. It's done. This is it.

:ohmy: So it's better than the Joanou footage in Rattle and Hum ?

Wikipedia says: "runs exactly 84 minutes in length, eight minutes short of its originally announced run time of 92 minutes." So I guess one or two songs got the cut. :down:

Re: go Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington, then

U2girl said:
Wikipedia says: "runs exactly 84 minutes in length, eight minutes short of its originally announced run time of 92 minutes." So I guess one or two songs got the cut. :down:

Yet another reason for me to not waste my money. :drool:

Bah, in spite of myself I'll probably find myself going if it shows in Melbourne. I'll probably even enjoy the damn thing. But I certainly don't have any of the excitement most people on this thread seem to have.

U23D Australia

Found comments on another site - from an Aussie poster claiming a preview of U23D was screened before Beowolf 3D... Possibly Sydney, around the 8th of Jan...
I know it's vague - but it's something :drool:

I don't understand why any fan should NOT want to go into that movie (except maybe for medical reasons), but once you're in there I'm sure you don't care about set lists or other crap, because it's such an overwhelming experience. I would even travel somewhere to see this movie, seriously. And I'd surely want to see it more than wants, especially after the long U2 live withdrawal. I envy all of you who can go and see it NOW.

I can't believe people are analyzing setlists.

In.
A.
Fucking.
Movie.

:eyebrow:

I am very excited. Gonna go with a friend who missed the Vertigo tour :D

Canadiens1160 said:
I can't believe people are analyzing setlists.

In.
A.
Fucking.
Movie.

:eyebrow:

Well, why go if I don't feel any particular desire to see the songs?

This is a movie, the setlist is known, so you either go or don't go. If you have no desire to see the songs in the movie the decision is very easy.

Don't go.

I guess your thing is to discuss why you don't like the setlist and shouldn't want to go, even though you probably will go, and then complain about how it could have been better if they had chosen the songs you liked better?

Go because it's a unique opportunity to see U2 on the big screen when they're not going to be touring for another year or two?

Go as a nice way of remembering the magic of seeing them live on the Vertigo tour?

Go to hear a live U2 show played back on a fucking great sound system?

Go because it's U2?

Christ, and people say I'm pessimistic around here :wink:

ramblin rose said:
This is a movie, the setlist is known, so you either go or don't go. If you have no desire to see the songs in the movie the decision is very easy.

Don't go.

I guess your thing is to discuss why you don't like the setlist and shouldn't want to go, even though you probably will go, and then complain about how it could have been better if they had chosen the songs you liked better?

Well, that's a little unfair, especially as I have kept my specific criticisms to myself on this thread as I don't want to inadvertently post a spoiler for those who are avoiding the set.

Assuming admission isn't something ridiculous like $20, I probably will go because, you know, I like U2. And it'll probably be a good time and I'd say so. But the setlist doesn't exactly make me feel excited about seeing it in advance. And come on, 84 minutes? That's barely a movie. I'm sick of paying to see a movie and getting almost a TV show. U2 had quite enough songs to provide a full two hour concert experience.

I was hoping that the Milan and U2-3D setlists combined would be sort-of a competent overview of a stadium Vertigo tour show. :shrug:

U2girl said:
I was hoping that the Milan and U2-3D setlists combined would be sort-of a competent overview of a stadium Vertigo tour show. :shrug:

Apparently U2 didn't get the hint that people adored The Electric Co.

(And that shouldn't be a spoiler to anyone as The Electric Co. was not played at any of the gigs filmed for U2 3D.)

So... is the performance the same one as the proshot Buenos Aires concert (the 2nd one) or not? Because that performance was a bit undermined by Bono's voice.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

way cool! :wink:

what does the Chilean flag look like? I can't remember... :reject:

bandera.png

:wave:

^ No, the 3 D movie is a compilation from various concerts from the South America Vertigo leg. I heard his voice is fine in the movie, maybe they did some work on that?

And a 3 D movie can only be about 80 minutes long, there are no 3 D movies that are two hours long. This is not a concert DVD. It's a great opportunity to be part of a really amazing experience, PLUS it features our favourite band. What is there not to enjoy? This should not be the place for setlist discussions. People should allow themselves to be a little excited and enthusiastic.

Axver said:

I didn't see it with Vertigo, but I did see it with LAPOE, and I actually preferred that. LAPOE was such a thunderous opener.

Axver, I was lucky to see all 3 openers. And I have to agree with you LPOE was such a "lets get to rocking" opener. COBL was the epic opener. And the Vertigo opener reminded me of Elevation (tour).

Though, based on the trailer when Bono yells the count (Uno, etc), the Vertigo intro looks epic.

skott100 said:
For everyone who's ever gotten there early and made the mad dash to a great spot on the floor... you'll feel that rush all over again.

I can't wait to feel it all over again. Thanks for the great review.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom