MERGED ----> Should U2 hang it up? + Why I think U2 should hang it up + U2 finished?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
Should U2 hang it up?

Before a bunch of you jump all over me for asking, let me make it clear that I know full well that U2 will hang it up when they think it is time, not when their fans do.

So let me re-phrase the question...

Has there ever been a time when you wished U2 would hang it up?

No. Never.

I'm too selfish. My favorite band can't call it quits until I'm completely satisfied.

nope, so far i've not wished they would stop. i hope they do call it quits before i wish they will, though. what i mean by that is, is that i hope they don't let themselves become all washed up or anything and have us thinking they should quit.

The thing is, The Stones can't admit they should be a nostalgia act at this point.

The bands who admit they are past their prime are at least being honest with themselves.

The Stones appear to still think they are as big as ever - which makes them look old AND senile!

My hope is that U2 calls it quits soon - maybe one or two more records, and then - as Mike Tyson said, "fade into Bolivian".

Well, actually, I hope we still hear from them when they hang it up, but just not on the reunion tour circuit.

I think if most of us had it our way, they end up dying on stage at the age of 100 or something. *cracks the whip* Keep working you 4!

:bono: :adam: :larry: :edge: : :sad:

I think they have lots of things to do, or maybe I?m too selfish! :wink: Anyway, I think they?ll know when it will be the right moment.

I have this complete belief that U2 would be much more aware of when and why they should hang it up than any of us would. I don't think U2 is doing this for the money or the fame, I think what drives them is the relationships and the music, and if either of those things faltered then that would be it. I guess that's the cool and frustrating thing about U2, it could end tomorrow, if the guys got into the studio and nothing happened they could all nod at each other and U2 is history. Sort of makes whatever they do do more precious because it could very possibly be it, we'd never be able to guess when the end would or wouldn't be.

And my take on the Stones is that each member loves making music so much, they live to make music, but they aren't opposed to also making lots of money, so why not combine the two? If you're going to play anyway, why not play with guys you've known forever and do it in a way that guarantees your children will never have to work fast food? It seems like a total win-win thing to me.

Last edited:
martha said:

I think so, too. But think about this, if they almost quit once, and then gave us Achtung Baby, what might happen if they almost quit again!? The mind boggles! :ohmy:

Maybe it was not right moment for them! ;) You know, U2 are really unpredictable, you never know what are they going to do tomorrow :shrug:

Re: Re: Should U2 hang it up?

martha said:

Not yet, but if they ever tour as a nostalgia act (think Rolling Stones here), they'll need to quit.

*ducks to avoid flaming arrows sent by RS fans*

LOL, not a Stones fan but I have seen them and would go see them again. Generally speaking people that make statements like the above have never seen them live. I felt the same way until I saw them in 1994. They are the only act I have seen that even comes close to a U2 show. These guys still rock (although I think Keith Richards may be animitronics and not a person LOL) and if U2 could still rock like they do at that age they should keep going.

AND to answer the post, I have NEVER wished U2 would hang it up.

Re: Re: Re: Should U2 hang it up?

Blue Room said:

Generally speaking people that make statements like the above have never seen them live.

You caught me. They're one of the ones I didn't see that I wished I had. My husband saw them in 198whatever when Prince opened for them and got booed off the stage. :ohmy:

i don't care , they made enough albums , tours , singles already and thier last matereal ATYCLB is a big disappointment , so they're goin to continue those " soul records " , they better quit :madspit: :shrug: :yell:

clarityat3am said:
I think if most of us had it our way, they end up dying on stage at the age of 100 or something. *cracks the whip* Keep working you 4!

:bono: :adam: :larry: :edge: : :sad:

Yes! U2 is not allowed to die until I do!!!

They have not disappointed me yet, and I don't think they ever could.

U2 is my fave band...The Rolling Stones are my second fave band.

I think both bands should keep going until they are no longer satisfied and happy with their music careers. I hope to see many more things out of U2 especially. :)

Agree!

Bonochick said:

I think both bands should keep going until they are no longer satisfied and happy with their music careers. I hope to see many more things out of U2 especially. :)

:yes:

Bonochick said:

:yes: :yes:

One Tree Still said:
The thing is, The Stones can't admit they should be a nostalgia act at this point.

The bands who admit they are past their prime are at least being honest with themselves.

The Stones appear to still think they are as big as ever - which makes them look old AND senile!

My hope is that U2 calls it quits soon - maybe one or two more records, and then - as Mike Tyson said, "fade into Bolivian".

Well, actually, I hope we still hear from them when they hang it up, but just not on the reunion tour circuit.

Steven Tyler said, if you want to see life get interesting, "be a rock star and live past your pre-determined expiration date"

He is still out there. Rock on.

The Stones are:

*rich

*cool

*legendary

*classic

*loved by millions

*not old and senile. Mick looks just as good now as he did 20 years ago IMO!

If they are a 'nostalgia act' I don't see that as a bad thing. They have reached that stage in their lives. No rock band can be the same old as they were young. That does NOT mean they should hang it up. The Stones are no joke. They have not gathered any moss, they are not sitting back in rocking chairs, and they have not been demoted to playing county fairs and amusement parks (even though the bands that have been are better off than most of us, sure beats working for a living!) So, what's the problem?

The Stones are a part of HISTORY- not just musical, but actual history. More power to them. If U2 ends up exactly like them in 15 years, I'll be PROUD!! :D

BTW- It's people and comments like yours that make U2 want to keep going! Bono and Larry said in 2000 on MTV that people expected them to 'go fuck off and buy a fish farm' when they get 'old' but in their own words, "We're not fucking off, we're not fucking ANYWHERE!" So look for them to stick around! :yes:

Last edited:
I can't believe they're still around today bc most bands never last this long and even 10 years ago, I thought how lucky it is to have a band that's lasted this long and now, 10 years later, it's even more special! My guess is 10-12 more years to get another best of out.

Martha - I know you don't really like Electrical Storm, but remember it's a demo and it will probably be more polished and even a lot different next month when it's released to radio!!

Here's to another 10 years!!!

Maybe it's time

Bono once said that when they started repeating themselves, they would quit - and at another time he said that he didn't like music that reminded people of something that once WAS great. Since U2 on their last album haven't come up with something new - and IMHO have lost their certain spark (and their balls) - well maybe it's time to consider what's next in store for them. Unless they want to dream it all up again?

Seriously - do you ever think they will make a masterpiece like AB or JT again or even an anthem like One (That was more than ten years ago!)? If not - why go ahead? I don't want to see a U2 who only delivers 60-70% what they usually do...again IMHO.

Re: Should U2 hang it up?

One Tree Still said:
Before a bunch of you jump all over me for asking, let me make it clear that I know full well that U2 will hang it up when they think it is time, not when their fans do.

So let me re-phrase the question...

Has there ever been a time when you wished U2 would hang it up?

Many times.

After I heard Discotheque.

Then after I bought POP.

Then after I read about U2's terrible Popmart Vegas Opening performance.

After I listened POP again because someone said it sounds better in the second listen.

But that all changed when U2 disowned POP, admitted publicly it was a mistake, admitted it was hurried ...and now they are making ammends by making attempts to remix it. What makes them the greatest band in the land isn't that they are perfect, the human condition is imperfect. What makes U2 the greatest is because they are not holier-than-thou - they admit their mistakes, and like now that they have some time, they are even offering to correct it.

So after all of the public apologies they have issued, and the subsequent release of the brilliant sheer genius of ATYCLB, I forgave them and no longer wish that they will hang it up.

Cheers,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom